Brutus – In Memoriam, 2000-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kevin, I'm so sorry to get this news. Our dogs, for many of us, become in many ways one of our best friends. They fill our lives with so much in such a short time. They just don't live long enough. I'm sorry I never met Brutus. I really would have liked to.

As for your wife, Kevin, I just don't know what to say except that I'm so sorry. God bless.

So very sorry to hear this sad news Kevin. He will be waiting for you at Rainbow Bridge until you are able to join him.

Thank you so much for sharing the photos and stories. He will be missed by many. Your in our thoughts.

Kevin,
Sorry to hear of your losses. Never having met you or Brutus on the trails, we always enjoyed reading of your adventures and seeing your photos.
He will be remembered as a legend in the White Mountains.

Donna and Mike:)

Although Ive been posting on this site for quite some time, Ive only met two individuals from this site personally on the trails. The first is BigEarl (heck of a nice guy) and the second is Brutus. One day I was just breaking out of the scrub near the summit of Little haystack and there was Brutus right in the trail greeting me ( not sure where kevin was Im sure close by) anyway it was easy to tell who this giant dog was as I have read kevins TR's in the past. I said hello to brutus, we chatted for a minute then I moved on. He was truley a beautifull dog, I can only imagine your loss. My deepest sympathies.

From the heart, our sincere condolences...

Tom and Maria(Daisy)

Brutus, my beloved Newfoundland dog, passed away. He climbed peaks in VT, NH, ME, MA, NY, CO, CA, and was my constant companion.

In 2005, he completed a second round of the NH 4’s, this time in one winter – for more details see this link. Some of you have climbed Owls Head via the “Brutie Bushwhack”, so named because I needed an alternative to the slide route. WMUR in Manchester, NH., heard of our silliness, and did an interview which aired in March, 2005 - (hopefully I have the file permissions set correctly).

Many peaks he hiked multiple times, including Lafayette (27), Moosilauke (20), Washington (10), Camels Hump (11) and Telescope Peak in DV twice. He hiked with me to Trail Camp on Mt Whitney three times. He accompanied my wife and I on two cross-country road trips, and for reasons known only to him, was especially enamored with Chicago’s Lakeshore Drive and watching Yellowstone’s Old Faithful erupt.

Some of my favorite pictures of him were taken with my late wife, and are posted here:

Newfie’s are playful and mischievous by nature, and I’d like to share three stories of Brutus. One such instance occurred when several of us accompanied a friend as he finished his NH Winter 4’s on Wildcat. As we descended via Polecat, and sometimes ski trails, the fact that the trails were packed was not lost on him. On several occasions he “pretended” to fall, sliding down long distances on his side, much to our delight and skiers within eyeshot.

Another time we were finishing his all-season NH 4’s on Jefferson. It was mid-October, and an early snowstorm and cold-snap made the going slow and arduous. We’d tried a week earlier, but had to turn back due to an ice sheet on the Randolph Path, so was reluctant to turn back on this second attempt. We didn’t reach the summit until 4PM, and I was worried that I’d pushed him too hard. I gave him a few dog bones, let him rest for about 10 minutes, and headed back down. About 100 feet later he sneaked up behind me, and tried to trip me up, much like we used to do the each other on the playground as 3rd graders. So, I knew he was fine.

The third instance was on a hike in mid-October in Maine. Two friends wanted me to accompany them as they did Sugarloaf, Spaulding and Reddington and I’m always ready to hike Maine in October. As we descended the ski slope on Sugarloaf on a particularly beautiful, sunny afternoon thru the tall grass, Brutus came down the hill behind us. He liked to pretend that he “slipped” and couldn’t stop as he head butted you in the rear. It wasn’t a hard butt, and it didn’t happen very often so you never quite knew when he’d pull that stunt. Anyway, on this particular day he wasn’t paying attention, and he misjudged and ran into my friend instead. She was most startled, and burst into laughter, at which point Brutie realized his mistake and sat down, looking a bit chagrined.

I’ve been much blessed to have them in my life, and I shall miss them forever.

Brutus and Barbara at Medicine Bow.jpg

In Medicine Bow National Forest, Wyoming

Sorry to hear. Your descriptions paint him as such a nuggle. I regret never having met him.

Our deepest condolences on your loss.

Maggie and I extend our heartfelt condolences for the second loss you've experienced this year. Brutus was a legend in his own lifetime, which given how short a dog's life is, is quite an accomplishment. We share your sadness and wish you much strength as you move forward without your two best friends by your side, knowing that both are forever with you in spirit every day.

All this time I actually thought Brutus was doing the posting ... well, a dog's life indeed ... sounds like this one truly had a dog's best friend close at hand. Cheers for your kindness, may it offer some solace.

I'm sorry for your loss. Brutus is a true White Mountains legend, and his exploits and memory will live on.

Kevin, please accept my sincere condolences.

In case you haven't seen it yet, Steve Smith posted a truly excellent tribute to Brutus on his Mountain Wandering blog. (Click HERE for link.)

I just saw the sad news of Brutus’s passing on Steve Smith’s website, too, and came over here. Very sorry, please accept my condolences for both of your losses, Kevin. What a tough year.

If memory serves, Brutus received his winter 48 certificate at the banquet in April 2005, didn’t he? I’m afraid I didn’t go up and shake his paw or anything.

2396114820097475956S600x600Q85.jpg

I see Tom Sawyer, Steve Smith, Eric Savage, and Mohamed Ellozy in that photo, anyway.

Thank You

I’d like to thank you all for the kind words expressed here, in your messages, emails, and greenies - I had no idea how many lives he’d touched. And a special thank you to Steve Smith, for his tribute to Brutus in his blog, and to 1Happyhiker for bringing it to my attention.

Raymond – According to my notes, Brutus completed his NH all-seasons on Oct 10, 2002 and his winter 4’s on Jan 18, 2004. That would have meant he attended the award dinners in 2003 and 2004.

Edit: After reading Ed's post below, I realized I'd made an error. Brutus rec'd his winter 4 scroll in April of 2004, not 2005 as I'd originally posted. I corrected my sentence above.

Last edited:
He stole my heart!

February 26th, 2004! It was love at first sight. The humans that tagged along were pretty good company too! We had many happy hikes together, including this one.

I just saw the sad news of Brutus’s passing on Steve Smith’s website, too, and came over here. Very sorry, please accept my condolences for both of your losses, Kevin. What a tough year.

If memory serves, Brutus received his winter 48 certificate at the banquet in April 2005, didn’t he? I’m afraid I didn’t go up and shake his paw or anything.

2396114820097475956S600x600Q85.jpg

I see Tom Sawyer, Steve Smith, Eric Savage, and Mohamed Ellozy in that photo, anyway.

That I believe is 2005. It is definitely Duffy and me. We received our 48 all season that year. However, Brutus was not there that year, I never met him. As I remember from what a friend told me, he received his award the year before. I believe, from what I heard, that Brutus was the last dog to be allowed inside, and the only dog to have been awarded the winter certificate. I was told that the committee decided after that, that dogs in general could not safely do the winter 48 and the committee didn't want to be responsible for encouraging something that would endanger a dog. That's why Atticus never received a certificate for his winter exploits. To further explain, the feeling was that a Newfoundland could obviously handle the elements but that it was far too complicated to allow some breeds and not others etc. etc. so a blanket rule was made.