Brutus – In Memoriam, 2000-2011

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Last edited:
Pictures of Brutus

I've put together several of my favorite photos on Brutus, in no particular order. About half were taken in a mountain setting, and the other half as part of our daily life. Enjoy.

Brutus on Jefferson, Oct 30, 2002 (Finished All Season 4's).jpg

Brutus on Jefferson, October 30, 2002, finishing his All-Season NH 4’s.

Brutus on Jefferson.jpg

Brutus on Jefferson, just below the junction of Jewell & Gulfside Trails

Brutus Finishing his Winter 4s on Pierce.jpg

Brutus finishing his Winter 4’s on Pierce (Clinton) on January 18, 2004.

Brutus on Lakes Hut.jpg

On Lake of the Clouds Hut roof.

Happy Dog.jpg

Thoroughly enjoying a morning cuddle with Barbara

Kevin, Josh and Brutus.jpg

My son Josh and I

Taking a Break.jpg

While taking a break building the house. My son Josh on the left, and wife Barbara on the right.

With Brutus.jpg

Brutus helping to carry the building paper for stuccoing the yoga studio, California

Brutus Becoming One with the Rock.jpg

On his first loop hike of Lincoln/Lafayette. I call this one “Becoming One with the Rock”

Brutus on Franconia Ridge.jpg

Enjoying the breeze on Franconia Ridge

Brutus at the Patriarch Tree, Bristlecone Pine NF, California.jpg

Sitting under the Patriach Tree, Bristlecone National Forest, California

Brutus at Bodie Ghost Town, California.jpg

At Brodie, California, an old ghost town

More Pictures of Brutus

Brutus and Kevin near Lake Powell, Utah.jpg

Near Lake Powell, Utah

Brutus & Barbara Waiting for Old Faithful, Yellowstone NP, Wyoming.jpg

Barbara and Brutus, waiting for Old Faithful to erupt

Barbara & Brutus behind the Foster Grants.jpg

Goofing with Barbara in Wyoming

Brutus & Barbara at Mt Shasta, California.jpg

With Barbara on Mt Shasta

Kevin & Brutus on Galehead.jpg

On Galehead

Lincoln.jpg

On Lincoln Peak
Hale.jpg

Mt Hale
On Owls Head.jpg

Owls Head on a rather mild day
Carrigan.jpg

Carrigan on a very cold, raw day
Cabot.jpg

Mt Cabot
Adams1.jpg

Steep ascent to Adams

Taking Himself for a Walk.jpg

And finally, taking Himself for a walk, October, 2011. Taken two months before his death.

What wonderful memories you made with Brutus, the memories that will keep him alive in your hearts..

So sorry Kevin. Your pictures and words are a wonderful tribute to Brutus. Very sad to lose such a great friend and companion.

Thank you for the photos and stories. What a great way to remember a great companion. I am sorry for you recent losses and hope you heal in your own time and way.

Great photos and memories...too sad this whole year for many..least we got the mts and water to help us forget..

Kevin - So sorry to hear about Brutus hiking on to doggie heaven. He was a good pup :) Only got to hike with him once, when he decided to turn back on Owl's Head slide years ago.....maybe before his bushwack route.....but he made up his mind and that was that!! He had a great life, better than a lot of people!

Kevin

I have not met you and never had the chance to meet Brutus, I have only heard of him. He is a legend among pooches in the Whites, the first and only to be acknowledged for finishing the Winter 4's. He was given an amazing life. The pictures show a well cared for happy companion. I am so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you in this time of mourning for your friend.

Best wishes,
Heather & Kali

Fantastic pictures, Kevin.

I found the last one especially touching, a playful puppy even in old age.

I am so, so sorry to read this news, Kevin. The loss of a dog is a singularly difficult kind of loss, because nothing loves us like a dog and we love nothing in our lives quite like we love our dogs. Brutus holds a place of honor in your family and always well, but I don't envy you your heartache. You have my deepest and most sincere sympathy.

re Brutus

So sorry to hear of your loss. I remember meeting him when he got his winter patch. What a beautiful dog.