Bushwhack Bill Memorial Bushwhack(s)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dr_wu002

Reaction score
While hiking yesterday I was thinking of how to do a tribute or memorial hike for Bill Bowden. I figured the following weekend, I'd do a 'whack and write something about Bill in the register as a memorial.

Albee suggested this:
albee said:
The only thing I can think of for a fitting tribute to Bushwhack Bill would be to go for a 'whack this weekend and write "I'll miss you, Bill." in a register.
And I think it would be a good idea and maybe good to formalize it in its own thread. I'm not even sure what I'll hike yet but the point is not to invite people to come with me but to invite others to participate wherever they want to. Then on Monday one of us can put up a Trip Report and everyone can list where they went and any other comments.

I don't know -- it seems that this would be nice, Bill was a good guy and I'd like to tip my cap to him by doing a 'whack in his name and I hope that others would like to do the same.

So, if you want, do a whack like Albee said, and put something in the register about Bill. Then on Monday, if you like, mention it on the forum.

-Dr. Wu

I didn't have any whacks in mind this week-end but I'm definately in. You're right, let's spread out a bit. I'll be somewhere in the Whites.

Motabobo said:
I didn't have any whacks in mind this week-end but I'm definately in. You're right, let's spread out a bit. I'll be somewhere in the Whites.
Definitely spread it out. It would be pointless to have 20 people on one bushwhack. A better tribute would be 20 individual registers signed amongst the mountains or more that day. Keep the spirit alive.

-Dr. Wu

Bushwhack in honor of Bill

I like the idea; I may not make it this weekend, but will plan to do a bushwhack soon.

I will certainly give him a shout, wherever I decide to go.

We hope Bushwhack Bill will be with us in spirit as we battle the spruce and fir, rocks and boulders, blowdowns and matchstick forests with just a hint of nasty thick stuff to complete a whack in his honor this weekend in the Whites, just the type of whack Bill would love.

I would hope that everyone that spends the time and energy seeking a jar at the summit of a trail-less peak brings a register repair kit with them every time. A kit should include spare baggies, pencils, cord, and at least a clean dry replacement jar (like a glass pasta sauce jar). If you are against jars it is fine not to bring one, but if you appreciate finding a jar and register on the summit, I hope you take every precaution to ensure that the registers are in top-notch shape for future bushwhackers to come. I certainly appreciate the work done by people like Dennis Crispo, Bill, and others, so I always try to make sure the jars are left in good shape, and I hope others practice this, too.

Replacing a jar should only be done after an exhaustive search for the highest point, and once there, a decent effort to find where the old jar may have fallen or rolled under nearby trees or blowdowns. It seems like unnecessary litter to have more than one jar on a summit, unless it is one of the rare occasions where it is terribly thick and ambiguously flat, such as on the Captain.

I'll be 'whacking in Maine this weekend - hopefully Baxter. I'm sure Bill would have liked to read the trip report, so I'll be sure to include mine here whenever I get back.

Whitewall Mtn.

I won't be able to get out this weekend to do any serious bushwhacking but I know exactly which trip I'll dedicate. We tried three times to co-lead a trip to Whitewall Mtn. and we came so close just a month and a half ago. When I finally get there I'll be guided by his memory instead.

Whitewall

Eric
If schedule permits I'd like to join you when you do Whitewall. Bill talked about it when we stood on Zeacliff last year.
Harry

Whitewall

Eric

Like Peakn, I'd be interested in doing Whitewall with you if my schedule permits. Email or PM me when you have a date in mind. I wanted to do yours and Bill's Whitewall trip, but time didn't permit.

Ray Caron