Canon 5D MkII Announced

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
got one

I got one on Tuesday afternoon. Previously I have been using 5D1 since it's release and loved it. The 5D2 has pretty much the same feel but has few improvements like double megapixels (wow can you say computer memory drain), lens microadjustment (previously on the 1 series), live view, larger LCD... but overall the camera retains it's 5D size and feel.

One major inclusion is 1080 video. It's really impressive to use with various lenses and apertures.

Wowzers, indeed

EmpirePlazaAlbany.jpg

Finally picked one up after days of anguish. Had to drive to Syracuse NY to get one (at Best Buy, of all places), and took a few night shots in Albany on the way home.

CapitalAlbany.jpg

I haven't gotten a chance to take it for a hike yet, but am pretty amazed at both the resolution and video capabilities so far.

Here is a link to a very,very short clip cut and reduced from the HD format ( which is stunning at full res):

http://www.vermontphoto.com/miscpix/shortclip.avi

(Please pardon the non-backcountry-ness of these samples. I promise to make it up in the next 5D MkII outing)

Is the original HD video file in Xvid format, or is that just what you chose to save to when downsampling?

Is the original HD video file in Xvid format, or is that just what you chose to save to when downsampling?

The original HD format is .MOV. I used "Avidemux" (freeware) to take this sample. ( I am totally new to video editing)

A 2 minute movie at full res was about 700MB, which is why I didn't post the whole thing. :eek:

The camera automatically sets the ISO for movies, up to 6400, or 12800 on H setting. You can adjust the exposure while taking the movie, and take stills while "filming", although the shutter noise, IS noise, etc., will be picked up by the on-camera mike. Hopefully using a hot shoe mounted shotgun mike like the Sennheiser MKE-400 will help minimize camera and fiddling photog noises.

Tim,

Congrats, and the first images look fantastic! I'm a bit away from considering one, but hopefully by spring?!

I'm curious as to the noise at higher ISO's with this. As you begin to play, could you post some 100% crops at 400,800,1600,3200,6400 so we can see what the images look like with this new sensor?

Thanks,
Jim

Still from Video @ iso 3200

ThePalace3200_iso.jpg

This was taken while filming the "Palace" by pressing the shutter button, which uses the ISO chosen by the camera (3200). The exposure was 1/25 @ f4. Here is a 100% sample of the noisiest area I could see:

3200_iso.jpg

This is with the high speed NR turned off, BTW. Not too shabby!

Do what you need to do Jim. Sell the kids. 4th mortgage. Whatever it takes. ;)

Geez Tim,

That 3200 shot is better than ISO 400 on my 20D. Sadly, I have no kids to sell...but I have 2 working kidneys!

So, Brambor, Tim,...

Whatcha gonna do with your *old* cameras?

(Do we have a smiley for puppy eyes?)

A file for closer inspection

Here is a file for closer inspection. No post processing done:

5D2Jpeg

iso 640/ f 5.6 with 24mm lens

What will I do with my older cameras? Well I sold my 1DMK3 to buy the 5D2 so now I will have 5D2 and 5D as my backup.

Last edited:
Here is a file for closer inspection. No post processing done:

Shot in JPEG or shot in RAW and converted with defaults?

That's really incredible, though ... only ISO 640 and you got that much noise?

Last edited:
It is what it is. I did not give it much thought. Just pointed and shot during my cleanup work. I shot it RAW and converted. Perhaps the exposure setting was boosted to give it more noise. Remember, with more pixels you will see more noise especially when you look at 100 procent magnification. What counts is the final print. You will probably find more dedicated 'testers' than me. :p

Woody, it was indeed taken with the 24-105 L, which I got with my first 5D a few years back. Great all around lens, well worth it's cost.