Canon Rebel XSI due April

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ROCKYSUMMIT

Reaction score
I haven't seen any user reviews on the newest Rebel XSI (since it's not out yet) but from what I've read of the features compared to my original Digital Rebel, this should be a huge upgrade. Wondering what all you Canon owners are thinking. I'm really looking forward to this one.

ROCKYSUMMIT said:
I haven't seen any user reviews on the newest Rebel XSI (since it's not out yet) but from what I've read of the features compared to my original Digital Rebel, this should be a huge upgrade. Wondering what all you Canon owners are thinking. I'm really looking forward to this one.

I'm still shooting with my 350D and I'm pretty happy with it for now. I'd really like a 5D, but I'm going to wait until my Rebel dies before I buy any more digital bodies. I'd like to get a full size sensor in my next one though.

The descriptions sound nice though. I like the bigger LCD, it will be easier to preview the histogram on it.

I think, personally, I'm going to wait. I'm sure more new and improved models will be coming in the years to come.

Kevin

This is good news because it means the price of the XTi will drop, in which case I might be ready to upgrade from my XT soon :)

Wow. Lots of great new features. The multi-shot self-timer alone, athough LONG OVERDUE, alone is worth the upgrade to me, not to mention the slew of other goodies. Thanks for the heads up, Rocky!

Here's what's NEW

XSI questions ?????

Believe it or not I have not made my big purchase do to the fact the XSI was coming out in April. Any thoughts about the lens that they offer with the package or would I be better off investing in a seperate lens.....and which one??? lots of questions for the camera buff experts : )
thanks
kmac

The 18-55 kit lens that comes with the XSi is actually a pretty good lens, it's getting very good reviews.

I've had the camera about 3 weeks now. I made the move from the original Rebel so the upgrade is quite a bit, and for me is well worth it. I use a Tokina 12-24 lens mostly for hiking landscapes (pretty heavy lens!), but my experimenting so far with the new lens looks pretty good. I think it's worth the hundred bucks. If I want to go lighter I have this option now. The 18-55 kit lens that came with the old camera I never really used.

kmac said:
Any thoughts about the lens that they offer with the package or would I be better off investing in a seperate lens.....and which one???
I agree with Dave. The Canon EF-S 18-55mm IS lens included with the XSi kit is getting very good reviews. Looking at the pricing at B&H, the kit price is a $100 delta over the XSi body, and B&H sells the lens for $175. So the kit price is a good bargain.

I bought the XTi kit last September. It included an earlier version of the 18-55mm lens without the IS (image stabilization) feature. I have been very satisfied with the lens. I have also found that I can easily hand hold the lens in low light without the IS. With an 35mm equivalent range of 28.8-88mm it is a good walk around lens for hiking. I probably use it for 35-40% of my hiking photos. The earlier (non-IS) lens was manufactured in Taiwan and reportedly had quality consistency problems. I apparently had good luck with my lens. The newer/current IS lens is manufactured in Japan which has solved the quality consistency problem. All versions of the 18-55mm lens reportedly have some barrel distortion and possible vignetting near 18mm, however, that same problem is also noted with Canon's more expensive EF-S 17-85mm IS zoom. I have not found this to be much of a problem, although I normally switch to the Canon EF-S 10-22mm lens for that range.

I do not think you will go wrong with the 18-55mm IS lens included in the kit. If you wanted a longer telephoto range you might consider the Canon 17-85mm EF-S IS lens (27.2-136mm equivalent range for a 35mm camera).