catching a ride in the whites

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dvbl said:
Not sure if this was already mentioned, but here's my 2 cents on the subject of stashing your bike in the woods so you can do a solo-shuttle.

1) Of your two trailheads (start and finish), leave your car at the one that is less prone to break-ins (an unfortunate, but necessary consideration).

2) Check out your two trailheads on topo maps, and stash your bike at/near the trailhead with the higher elevation. Enjoy the net downhill bike ride.

Sometimes these two suggestions will be in conflict with each other. At that point, chose your priorities.

Another thing to keep in mind; If you do stash the car and ride the bike before the hike, you need to leave your pack (and probably your boots) stashed at the beginning of the hike and then ride your bike to it and stash the bike. Having your pack stolen from there would mean biking all the way back to your car!
For this reason, I used to hide either my pack and boots or my bike well into the woods. Even though I'm using an old road bike for transpo, it would be inconvenient to need it and have it taken. Losing my pack and all my gear would be even worse! If you put things far enough into the woods and make sure that no one is hanging around while you stash them, chances are very good they will never be found.

Chas.

Double Bow said:
A question about this...

It seems as though to use their hiker services, you need to start from Lincoln and ride with them to wherever. Is this accurate? If so, how does one get back to Lincoln? Do you arrange for a pickup time and place?

The only time I've used them, we happened to be vacationing in Lincoln at a friend's condo. My wife needed our vehicle as it was the last day of a week-long getaway. The Shuttle Connection drove me to the Welch-Dickey trailhead (forget the name of the road), and my wife picked me up at a pre-aranged time. I hike slightly faster than book-time, or at least used to, and simply added an hour to book time to allow for lunch and photos ops. I got back to the trailhead .... she had been there for about 5 minutes. Worked out great. But to answer your question :eek: ........ I am pretty sure they are willing to take you almost anywhere from anywhere for a price. Reason I say that is because I recall asking essentially the same question and he seemed very willing to customize any shuttle. More than a few friends have told me they feel the prices are too expensive, but I'm kinda funny that way .... when it comes to stuff I enjoy .... hiking, biking, skiing, whatever ...... I don't give a rat's a$$ what it costs ...... ya only live once ...... enjoy life!

(sorry for the long-winded response ....... too much Mountain Dew today ......)

Indeed, the Shuttle Connection will pick you up from about anywhere... though it will cost you. I asked one of the drivers how far north they would go for AT trailheads and he said, "To Katahdin." It gets pricier the farther you get from Lincoln, obviously... but they have always been there on time (or early) and willing to pick up from anywhere I've asked them to meet me.

- Ivy

dvbl said:
1) Of your two trailheads (start and finish), leave your car at the one that is less prone to break-ins (an unfortunate, but necessary consideration).

2) Check out your two trailheads on topo maps, and stash your bike at/near the trailhead with the higher elevation. Enjoy the net downhill bike ride.

Sometimes these two suggestions will be in conflict with each other. At that point, chose your priorities.

Not in conflict. It just depends on whether you have the car or bicycle at the beginning or end. At least when the elevation is significant. 10 miles, mostly downhill is rather easy, even after a hike.

Also. If you have your bike at the end of the trip, make sure you have a GOOD light on the bike. Riding mountain roads, with a city light isn't fun.

Dalraida, wouldn't it have been eaiser just to hold a knife to their truck tire & say "you got 5 seconds to tell me where my bike is!" In my (much) younger days i woulda done that, then opened up a can of whoop ass right after... :D

Rides in the Whites

I have had the same situation arise on the several trips that I made up to the Whites as well as to other areas. As I do not own a car, I have often taken public transportation to a place that I wish to visit (though I have rented a car). Sometimes this will only get you so far and then you need to get a ride (but you'd be surprised at the number of times that I have had a bus driver let me off right at a trail head). Here are some of my solutions.

For myself, not that I suggest anyone else doing this- I have hitched my share of rides. This is very easy to do especially around the road crossings of the AT. People seem to just expect an AT hiker to want to be picked up. You can get alot of interesting and useful local information form the locals and they love to hear you story.

That said-the ATC (Appalachian Trail Conference) once provided me with a list of people willing to help schuttle hikers- most were for a fee. I did call one person from the list and was picked up at a bus stop in Maine and then schuttled to an AT trail head- for a fee. It worked out well for me and I had a great trip.

Also, I have used the help ads in a local (to the area that I wish to visit) newspaper (the handy man for hire section) to find some one local to schuttle me for a fee. I figure that some one looking to do odd jobs would jump at a chance to just drive someone around-it's like easy money. That also worked out well. I picked up the local paper when I was at a town on a previous visit, but alot of local papers are on line these days.

Good luck, and Happy Trails

woodstrider said:
I have hitched my share of rides. This is very easy to do especially around the road crossings of the AT. People seem to just expect an AT hiker to want to be picked up.
I never have any luck doing this. Maybe it is the way I look?

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmp/pete.jpg

Wouldn't you stop for me?

You can try calling Arthur Jolin. His number is 466-2127. He runs a service out of Gorham. Used him last year, he was really nice and met us when and where he said he would. Rates were also reasonable.

Joe

shuttles for hire

I'm sure there are a number of reputable shuttles for hire and I've never had a problem. However...

I was reading White Blaze Fever and the author reports that he felt gypped from a Gorham shuttle owner because he charged for both directions. The report indicates that a campground owner felt the author had been slighted too.

Standard economics operate here. When I called around for a shuttle for the Cohos Trail, I ended up getting family to drive me. The shuttles were just too expensive.

Last edited:
Pete Hickey- that is nothing dude- you should see me after a week in the Whites. :D :eek:

But seriously- I know that it is harder for the guys to get a lift. :rolleyes: ;)

transport in the Whites/Mahoosucs

Two years ago Bruno arranged a car shuttle for me from the Hiker's Paradise to Grafton Notch where I got the AT. The bus from Boston stopped right in front of the Paradise in Gorham. I stepped off the trail at Pinkham Notch and took the bus back to Boston. Convenient, low budget, no worry about your car.

Walt

Artie Jolin in the Gorham area-Good experience

I hired Arthur Jolin to shuttle me from Grafton Notch to a trailhead near Gorham back in 2004. I found him to be friendly, punctual, and willing to help when I injured myself and needed a ride back to my car a few days after he dropped me off. That said, he did charge me from the time he left his house in Gorham(or Berlin, I forget which) until he dropped me at the trailhead and again at my car. I was unaware of this when I arranged the shuttle. If I recall correctly it was a little over $60 for each ride. I thought it was a bit expensive, but I did not mind. He was very nice, knowlegable about the area, and agreed to drive me anywhere I needed to go on very short notice. Overall it was a good experience and I would hire him again.

I am reviving this thread because of my needs. I did a search on hiker shuttle and came upon this thread and in particular a post by I12climbup. I linked to shuttleconnection (Posts #3 & #4). I called and ...

Before I go any further, let me say my needs are: a shuttle for 5-9 hikers (will know exact number by May 12) and gear to take us back around from Crawford Notch (AT xing of 302/Webster Cliff Trail) to Pinkham Notch. The AMC shuttle which I was going to use changed their times and if I leave Mizpah in the AM, I didn't really want to hang out until 3:30 PM. I got the brilliant idea to kill time by hiking down to Dry River CG and taking showers. I asked them if they then can pick us up at approximately the same time at the entrance to the CG. They replied as follows: "The shuttle unfortunately will only pick up at it's scheduled stops. It runs on a tight schedule as is. You and your party will need to walk back up the road to the Webster Cliff trailhead. I hope you can work around this and please let us know if you have any questions.

Best Regards,

AMC Reservations"

The AMC rate is $12 per person. Scratched off that service.

The date of my pick up will be June 27. I also was advised on this board about vandalism at that partking location so I was leeary of parking and shuttling ourselves, leaving our vehicles unattended for four days in Crawford Notch.

So I called shuttleconnection and they said I and my group would be picked up at 1 PM for a price of $80 + $5 per person. There would be a $20 per hour waiting fee if we are more than 30 minutes late. I agreed to this service and expense. Then the gentleman on the phone continued to apologize for the bad hiker service in the past as he and his fiancee have taken over the business and promise to be timely. However, I could tell that the gentleman had no hiker experience as he did not know too much about location and description of trailheads. So I will after June 27 fill you in on the service and in the meanwhile, I hope I am not stranded along the roadside of 302.

Last edited:
Army Surplus to the Rescue

where are you dudes stashing your bikes?
camonet.gif

Visit an Army Surplus store for a few items (or look online):

1. A piece of "Camo Netting" about 4'x8' or so, big enough to cover the bike laid on it's side.

2. A metal Ammo Box ( I prefer the ones for the 10 round clips of 5.56mm Bandoleers) This is essentially a cheap "bear box" for hikes-end food.

Stash the bike at least 50 yards away from the trailhead near an easily identifiable landmark on the forest floor, using the camo net and some branches or ferns, etc to help it "disappear". You may (!) want to make a note to bring with you as to the stash location if it's going to be a long day or if you exit in the dark. Somewhere near the bike, stash the ammo box ( which is full of post hike food and goodies) along with an HD garbage bag with your bike shoes, change of clothes, etc. inside.

If nothing else, this technique is worth it soley for the "Rambo-esque" sensations of paramilitary ops at the end of the day. ( Face paint and K-Bar in teeth are optional) :cool:

Of course, this works best where returning to the bike stash (after retreiving your car) for the ammo box and smelly hiking gear in the garbage bag isn't a problem.