Catskills peaks......

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amstony

Reaction score
I am looking for "starter" peaks on the Catskill 3500 list to hike this Summer. All my hiking has been in New England: the Whites, Maine, and Vermont, a few MA peaks- until know.

Most of the hikes would originate out of the NYC area. I'd definitely like to get out and explore some new places this year. :D

I know next to nothing about the Catskills, so any advice on peaks, especially those closer to the roads, would be helpful. I prefer not to spend all morning searching for trailheads! :)

Also, how difficult a drive is it out of NY to get to Cats and are any of the 3500 peaks near or accessible from the Commuter or Amtrak rail systems??

I plan to pick up the AMC guide for the area, which I'd think would be a good start.

I'd pick the ADK guide over the AMC guide. (it has a little more info on the trail-less peaks) You will also want the NY/NJ Catskill maps.

I've been to about 1/2 of the 35, I'm sure some veterans will chime in. Some trails currently (I think still) closed from the big storm. When all open, the trailhead to Windham from Route 23 maybe the easiest to find.

That sad, I prefer the Windham trip up from the other side. Other peaks that I've found not too hard include Slide from CR47, Blackhead & Black Dome.

The AMC guide is a good trail guide, but as mentioned it does not cover the trailless peaks. The ADK Catskill Trails guidebook covers all of the 3500 peaks, and many smaller mountains. The ADK guidebook also does an excellent job pointing out slightly off trail viewpoints and attractions (such as waterfalls) that you might otherwise miss.

The best and most up-to-date hiking map set for Catskills is published by the NY/NJ Trail Conference. Each of the 5 tyvek maps has trail descriptions on the back of the map, with mileage for waypoints along the trail. They show viewpoints, water/springs, parking areas, public and private land, campgrounds, and bus stops. The ADK guidebook and the NY/NJ maps coordinated their trail descriptions -- the mileages match so the two make a good combination. Many hikers find that the NY/NJ maps are sufficient for their needs, however, the ADK guidebook does offer more detail and background material on the Catskills.

There is no train service into the Catskills. You can take Trailways buses from the NYC Port Authority Bus Station into the Catskills. The bus routes in the Catskills travel NY Route 28 and NY Route 23A. The NY/NJ trail maps indicate the bus stops with a B. The buses will take you close to just a few Catskill 3500 trailheads, but you have a road walk to those trailheads.

There are also AMC and ADK club chapters in the NYC metro area, and they do make occasional hiking trips to the Catskills. You might be able to join in on some of those hikes. There are also several VFTT members in NYC with whom you might be able to car pool.

A good starting hike might be the 3720' Panther which is often combined with the 3200' Giant Ledge. Although not on the 3500' list the latter does offer some excellent views. The 3573' Indian Head and 3640' Twin is another nice introductory hike. As individuals most of the Catskill 3500 peaks are not long hikes. Two or more mountains can often be comfortably combined into a single day hike.

This is a nice web page I found. Gives good descriptions and road directions.
http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_0160.asp

From the south, Peekamoose is a good one. It is actually the highest from trailhead to summit (2600 feet) in the catskills. No water on trail, but a real ice swimming hole across the road from the trailhead. they call it the "blue pool" becouse the water is so cold :eek: it is blue. you could bag another peak if you continue on to table (not much farther).

Hunter is always a good one. Second highest in catskills with a fire tower. One trailhead is just north of devils tombstone campgrounds. If you dont stay there make sure to drive down to the office to pay for parking. Again you could double peak bag southwest hunter.

Last edited:
The Slide/Cornell/Wittenberg combination is one of the best hikes in the NE IMHO. Go on a nice day when you can drink in the views from Slide and Wittenberg. :)

The only part that is still closed as far as I know is Plateau and Sugarloaf on the devil's path. The escarpment trail has been cleared from the April nor'easter and I know that the burrough's range is clear and open.

As far as the commuter lines, no train service but there is bus service to places like Phoenicia, Big Indian and others. Check out Pine Hill trailways and talk to Funkyfreddy and/or Woodstrider here, both are NYC denizens w/o cars who hike in the catskills...

The NYNJTC has a pretty good website/flyer for those without cars too for places to hike in the NYC metro area, not just the catskills. There are train service to places like Harriman, Breakneck Ridge, and bus service to other places in and around NJ/NY

Jay

If you are into backpacking and following one long trail, you can climb a bunch of Catskill 3500 peaks by following the route of the Long Path from the road out of Sundown all the way to NY 23. This also can be broken down with car shuttles into smaller bites. The route of the Long Path takes you over (from south to north) Peekamoose, Table, Slide, Cornell, Wittenberg, Plateau, Sugarloaf, Twin, Indian, Kaaterskill High Peak (spur trail), Blackhead & Windham. Twelve peaks in all and then you have 1/3 of all of them!