CAVEMAN Down

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Trail worker par excellant

Yo Steve, Get better by Spring buddy, I've got lots of trail work lined up now that I am a Certified USFS Sawyer :D

Glad to hear that you decided to bite the bullet. You will be so glad you did it all at once when you get back onto the trails.

You should list the hiking/climbing books and videos you would like people to send you as gifts or loaners.

tom

Thanks Periwinkle!

And Tom......if all goes as planned I'll be a machine by spring and would be more than happy to assist with some trail maintenance - that stuff's good for the soul :) Not to mention the stomach when you end the day with shrimp on the barby :D As for the hiking books and videos......I'll have to give that some thought, if anyone out there has any suggestions for books (I've got Freedom of The Hills I'm working on) or DVD's they wouldn't mind lending, let's have em, I've got plenty of time to watch, read, and think these days!

Wow that's got to hurt, made me wince just reading it.

I wish you the best on your recovery and hope we meet again this winter to get in a few miles.

I'd take the opportunity to learn about items you've always wanted to but never had the time or learn a new language, that comes in handy. Having my knee messed up was the worst, even though the winter hiking season was over, and I was so glad when I could get back out again. Being single only makes it worse, I hope there are people in the area that can stop by to help.

Thanks Woody & Lawn Sale.

I am taking the time to do a lot more reading lately which is something that I wasn't making the time to do before. I'm also learing knots - they are so handy and I'm embarrased at my lack of education in that area, I'd like to be able to demonstrate that I'm knot knowledgeable when the situation warrants it :D

And yes, living near where I grew up, I have friends and family in the area that are "on call" even if they don't know it!

Good winter reads

Hi Steve ... we met on the hike to Moosilauke last Thanksgiving weekend. One good book that is something like 900 pages, but is chock full of history and lore of hiking in northeast is Forest and Crag, by Laura & Guy Waterman, 1989. I just checked and it's 888 pages long and weighs 3 lbs 6 oz. Just think! You can use it for weight training too! :D I hear the Watermans were trail adopters for the Old Bridal Path for many years. Should keep you pleasurably occupied for a week. I know I had a hard time putting it down.

As Steve Smith says

The Watermans' definitive history of hiking in the northeastern mountains is back in print. Written with wit and style, this compelling narrative unrolls a colorful cast of characters who strode across the region's trails and ridges, from early scientists and explorers to late 20th century peakbaggers. It's serious scholarship that reads like a novel. Extensive footnotes for those who want to delve deeper.

Then when you come back you can bore us to death with mountain trivia. Looking forward to seeing your machine out on the trails come spring!

Steve,

So sorry to hear that you're off your feet for awhile, but sounds like your attitude is super positive--the best way to make the recovery time as quick as possible!! I have no doubt you'll be back on the trail soon enough...and I hope to see you there!

-katie

Jazzbo said:
One good book that is something like 900 pages, but is chock full of history and lore of hiking in northeast is Forest and Crag, by Laura & Guy Waterman, 1989.

I happen to be re-reading a library copy, and I agree. Amazing resource which could help you pass the time. If you get the hard cover, you can use it to hammer nails when you're well enough for trail-work. Get well!

The Watermans' trailwork exploits are discussed in one of their "Ethics" books, forgot which one. Both of those are excellent reads as well. In fact, anything by or about the Watermans is worthwhile.

Matt

Last edited:
At least you will now be able to catch up on all the missed GEICO comercials ;-)

Seriously though. I wish you a speedy recovery, and maybe when your feet are well in the spring we can put all that knot practicing to good use up on a cliff somewhere.

cheers.
-percious

Speedy Recovery Steve, look forward to crossing paths on the trails this winter too.

I'm tempted to say they got the idea for the caveman ad from when I used to go there resembling them somewhat :eek:

Get well soon!

Can that chair be outfitted with skis so we can drag you across the prezzies Steve :D Sorry to hear you're laid up, best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Hey Steve, glad to hear you're doing well. Some good sources for learning knots can be found in boy scout handbooks or their "Fieldbook" two great sources for learning knots. I wish you well for a safe recovery and hope that you can make productive with great books and knots :D

Steve:

Sorry to hear that you are off the trails (at least for now). Hope your recovery goes well and that you are back hiking as soon as possible.

Little Bear

p.s. I tried to email you some pics from the BBQ gathering, but they bounced back. Do you have another email account I could try?

Steve,
Happy that you were able to come over to Bearly Live, and saddened to hear that you are on the recovery. My only hope is that you find this trail to be short!

Mark your calendar for Bearly Live '07... (whenever we decide that to be), and hope your feet will soon be pounding the wooded paths that you love so much!

Jazzbo said:
.......Forest and Crag, by Laura & Guy Waterman, 1989.

Great idea! Does anybody know where I might be able to locate a hardcover copy? I've done some digging and come up short, currently I have Steve Smith working on it for me too........

percious said:
...maybe when your feet are well in the spring we can put all that knot practicing to good use up on a cliff somewhere

Another great idea hopefully it'll be this winter though!

dRitter said:
Can that chair be outfitted with skis so we can drag you across the prezzies

I don't see why not, it'd be good training for your legs :D You think the knee would hold up?

LittleBear said:
Hope your recovery goes well and that you are back hiking as soon as possible

Thanks LittleBear, it's going well so far....keeping my toes UNcrossed :D I'll PM you a personal e-mail address for the pictures...not sure why it was bouncing.

SherpaKroto said:
...saddened to hear that you are on the recovery. My only hope is that you find this trail to be short!

Count on it!

SherpaKroto said:
Mark your calendar for Bearly Live '07... (whenever we decide that to be), and hope your feet will soon be pounding the wooded paths that you love so much!

I've got Bearly Live '07 chiseled in stone, just need to add the date! By then I'll have hundreds of miles under my feet!!!

UFC, wishing you a speedy recovery. You'll be hiking before you know it. And just in time for the snow of winter. Many blessings!

Steve, hope all goes well and quickly.

If it's any consolation (yeah, I know, it's not but that's OK), my feet felt pretty "post-surgical" after going over the Twins and Galehead yesterday. :eek: Probably the rockiest 12 miles I've ever done.

You'll need some new dancing shoes for Bearly Live '07, with that new foot architecture! :D