Challenging...yet short

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

truepatriot09

Reaction score
Melrose, MA; Avatar: Prepping for my first 12 hour
Ok, so in the White Mountains, what would you say is the shortest, yet most challenging hike? Reason for asking is I'm heading up next week for work, and will have 3-4 hours to kill at some point during the day...what would you consider the most challenging hike you could fit into that time frame?

Ready...set...go!

Thanks,
-ct

truepatriot09 said:
Ok, so in the White Mountains...will have 3-4 hours to kill at some point during the day...what would you consider the most challenging hike you could fit into that time frame?

It depends. How fast do you hike? Are you looking to bag something? Or a view? Or just out for a thrill?

BTW -- the weather forecast for next week is pretty mixed. Which day are you looking at?

Welch and Dickey??

Never done this in winter, but it has exposed ledges that can be very slippery since snow melts fast up there. Its about a 4.5 mile loop, and a very fun trip that I've done several times in milder weather. Its not hard at all in summer, but I could see it being somewhat difficult in winter with the steeper ledges.

But that is the only good 3-4 hour hike that is remotely difficult that I can think of right now...but its 1am so maybe tomorrow I'll have more ideas. Night!

grouseking

In the summer I would say E. Royce in Evan's Notch, but the Evan's notch road is not plowed in winter. Great 1.5 mile hike with 2,000'+ vertical.

Winter, the High Cannon if you can carry skis for the descent on Cannon's trails. Same with Tecumseh, much faster to ski down.

The Holt Trail up Mt. Cardigan.

I'm not sure what the distance is, it isn't long though. This was my first hike in the Whites. It's real steep in spots, all rock with very little to hang onto. I think it would be a blast in winter.

Describe Challenge, a longer easier trip tha you have to go fast on inorder to finish in 3-4 hours or touch terrain?

The scree below Cannon would be challenging for footing & looking out for anything falling from above but it's seldom a destination, just a starting point for climbers.

For quick people Cannon might be doable, East Osceola is not long mileage wise put you'd have to go pretty light & not slow down on steep trails.

Martha is a nice 3 hour trip. Avalon is doable, maybe Jackson, Imp Face, going as far as time allows on OBP?

Of the 4K peaks, only a few can be done in 3-4 hours unless you're an extremely fast hiker. These include Jackson, Waumbek, Cannon, and Tecumseh. Of these, Cannon is clearly the most challenging, and Jackson has the best views.

A few short, but challenging hikes in the Whites that I have done, include: E. Osceola from the Kanc., Stairs Mtn. from Jericho Rd, and Wildcat from Pinkham Notch. All three are very steep but could be done round trip in under 4 hrs.

Does it have to be a peak? 3-4 hours...but from where? Sending you on an hour drive and back will decrease the time...give a sense of where you are going to be located and I'm sure it will be narrowed down.

That being said, when I'm short on time I'll climb a trail to the first view point, a waterfall, a pond...even a river crossing that might look cool.

I'd second (or fourth...lost count) Cannon. Via the Kinsman Ridge trail, you can get a view even if you turn around at the cliff view point. Same thing with Jackson -- there are a few nice viewpoint along the trail. One other thought in the same vein: the Glen Boulder trail. It reaches views fairly quickly. Just go as far as time allows. Nice view for the effort from the boulder, then from Slide Peak.

How about Kearsarge North

I throwing in a vote for North Kearsarge. It is accessed from the Mt Kearsarge North Trail on Hurricane Road in North Conway. The trail gains 2,600 ft over 3.1 miles. It has moderate grades over its entire length so you can really fly. The summit has an enclosed fire tower and has 360 degrtee views.

At 3,268 ft it doesn't make any of the main stream lists.

Don't forget Pierce. This can also be done in less than 4 hours and the views from just below the summit are also quite nice. 2400 ft of elevation gain gives it a moderate challenge quotient.

JohnL

truepatriot09 said:
Ok, so in the White Mountains, what would you say is the shortest, yet most challenging hike? Reason for asking is I'm heading up next week for work, and will have 3-4 hours to kill at some point during the day...what would you consider the most challenging hike you could fit into that time frame?

Ready...set...go!

Thanks,
-ct

I'll second Welch/Dickey. Nice big bang for a little buck. I've hiked it a few times but always in the fall. I agree with what a previous posters said about the problems with the ledges.

grouseking said:
Never done this in winter, but it has exposed ledges that can be very slippery since snow melts fast up there. Its about a 4.5 mile loop, and a very fun trip that I've done several times in milder weather. Its not hard at all in summer, but I could see it being somewhat difficult in winter with the steeper ledges.
also have not done W-D in winter, but the ledges make me think it would be more challenging than Pierce, which for all but the last 200-300 yards is a woodland walk.

How about N/S Doublehead?

If you are in the Jackson/Bartlett/N Conway area, N/S Doublehead is a very short but challenging loop in winter - 4 miles, about 1900 ft gain and just spectacular views, particularly from three or four outlooks on South Peak. Both peaks are on Y alpine and N is on 52WAV (but South has the better views). I climbed this south to north using snowshoes a couple of weeks ago - bare boots would have been OK going up south but snowshoes were helpful on the ridge and down the ski trail.

Mt. Crawford & Mt. Tremont

Mt. Crawford on Davis Path. The trail shoots up pretty good... you gain some good elevation pretty quick. Also Mt. Tremont is like that too. Good views and a quick burst of effort in not much time.

-Dr. Wu

Mt Crawford is a great workout on a magnificently constructed trail (thanks Mr. Davis) with great views...and if you have time you can walk on to Giant Stairs along the open ledges of Resolution...one of the best half-day hikes.

When I want a good work-out in that time frame I head for Beaver Brook Tr Off rte 112. The cascades of the brook are the view...also nice view from Beaver Brook Shelter. You'll want some crampons in case the trail is iced up.
This is part of the A.T..you'll be surprised how steep it is esp. for people with full packs. If your looking good with your time you can continue over toward Mt Moosilauke...but the crux of the hike is Beaver Brook trail.