Cliff and Redfield this weekend

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lurkette

Reaction score
I plan to hike Cliff and Redfield this weekend......if Katrina doesn't come visiting! Any advice re. routes, etc. will be greatly appreciated. This is 45 and 46....Whopee!! Diana

Congrats on your finish...Do Cliff first as the views on Redfield are much better. Worthy of a 46R finish. That way when asked "what did you finish on?" You won't have to mumble "cliff," you can proudly say "Redfield!"

Here is an excellent link for all sorts of high peak info including the route on Cliff and Redfield with pics. In case you have not seen this site, excellent.

http://www.adirondackjourney.com/

Lurkette said:
I plan to hike Cliff and Redfield this weekend......if Katrina doesn't come visiting! Any advice re. routes, etc. will be greatly appreciated. This is 45 and 46....Whopee!! Diana

My advice: get up early! It's a long day to do both! It seems to be about the same distance/time from upper works as from the Loj getting to the Uphill lean to. You can stash stuff there for the assaults on the peaks. There is water available there. Good luck!

They'll be plenty of water on Cliff (none that you would want to filter though :) ).

I presume you know where the herd paths are, don't forget the right turn off the Twin Brook herdpath on the way to Cliff. MCorsar and I didn't and wound going through some really hairly blowdown before we realized our mistake. You'll come across TWO cairns on the trail, I believe the herdpath marked on the McMartin map is the second cairn, and I'm not sure what the first cairn marks. The major blowdown on the twin brook herdpath seems to be between the first and second cairn so perhaps the first cairn marks a faint herdpath around it. It did appear to be a very faint path but Matt and I didn't check it out.

Definitely keep an eye out for Katrina, the wet rocks on Cliff will make for a slow day and perhaps slippery and dangerous.

There is a way to bypass the major wetness on the twin brook herdpath by taking the herdpath to Redfield out to a bit and then cutting over to the the herdpath to Cliff but I'm not sure of the markings. You could always take a bearing on your compass and head over but I've heard of it before and navigationally, makes sense that it is doable.

Jay

I am looking at either date- weather dependent...Would love the company if it works out. Diana

Diana,

My current plans are to hike Seymour on Saturday, then on Sunday morning leave for Cliff/Redfield with a full pack. Drop the overnight gear at Feldspar Lean-to, then hike Redfield and Cliff. Sunday night I'll stay at Feldspar and hike out Monday morning. Hope to see you there. If I don't see you - have a safe and successful trip.

Jay H said:
I presume you know where the herd paths are, don't forget the right turn off the Twin Brook herdpath on the way to Cliff. MCorsar and I didn't and wound going through some really hairly blowdown before we realized our mistake. You'll come across TWO cairns on the trail, I believe the herdpath marked on the McMartin map is the second cairn, and I'm not sure what the first cairn marks. The major blowdown on the twin brook herdpath seems to be between the first and second cairn so perhaps the first cairn marks a faint herdpath around it. It did appear to be a very faint path but Matt and I didn't check it out.

Correct, it gets you around thick stuff.

Jay H said:
There is a way to bypass the major wetness on the twin brook herdpath by taking the herdpath to Redfield out to a bit and then cutting over to the the herdpath to Cliff but I'm not sure of the markings. You could always take a bearing on your compass and head over but I've heard of it before and navigationally, makes sense that it is doable.

It's a short way up the trail, a hundred yards or so. The marking has changed since we did it, and I don't know how it's currently marked. For more info on Cliff and Redfield hike, check out Mavs00's site:
http://www.adkhighpeaks.com/46er-flash/mountains/interior1.htm

Sir Edmund said:
I hiked Redfield and Cliff on Saturday, in dry weather, with no difficulties at the end of a long dayhike that included additional peaks. You can prob do this as a dayhike if you go light.

Larger cairn marks trail to Redfield and smaller cairn marks trail to Cliff; cairns are only about 25 feet apart.

Sorry, I may have misunderstood the cairn reference. In my first comment (above), I was referring to the two cairns encountered early on ONCE YOU ARE ON the herdpath, not the main trail.

...and to avoid any confusion with my reply. The two cairns I'm talking about are on the trail right from the Uphill Brook leanto, not on the herdpath to the summit itself. I passed one cairn and then made a right by the second cairn to get to the summit of Cliff.

I do remember seeing one or two cairns on the actual herdpath to Cliff, one close to the summit, which Matt and I thought was a marker for the slide on Cliff that one could do. (as shown on the McMartin map)

Jay

Jay H said:
...and to avoid any confusion with my reply. The two cairns I'm talking about are on the trail right from the Uphill Brook leanto, not on the herdpath to the summit itself. I passed one cairn and then made a right by the second cairn to get to the summit of Cliff.

I do remember seeing one or two cairns on the actual herdpath to Cliff, one close to the summit, which Matt and I thought was a marker for the slide on Cliff that one could do. (as shown on the McMartin map)
Jay

Thanks for your correction, Jay. Mavs00's site, referenced above in my post, contains the following description of the beginning of the route, AFTER leaving the Redfield herdpath for Cliff, and which avoids the worst of the mud (the "lime green" marker Tim mentions may or may not be there):

"Traditionally the Cliff path starts just past the lean to but I WOULD suggest turning onto the Redfield path and heading in for about 100 yds. At a point just in front of a large rocky area, there will be a definite path that splits to the right (it was marked with lime green flagging when we were there).This path will take you over to the traditional path above a real messy area. The section you enter will be part of an old abandoned trail (Twin Brook) and you will travel along the rotted corduroy through some blowdown. Soon you will reach the first of two cairns and paths . I would ignore the first one, and continue several minutes to the second one. This path goes above and skirts the worst of the extensive blowdown field in this area. From the second cairn the trail will wind through the debris and lead you to the base of a steep cliff."

Good going, Diana - almost there; I remember that feeling very well.

I have to work this weekend, but I'm hiking the day after Labor Day. I MIGHT do the Trap Dike, depending on weather and companions. Otherwise I'll do whatever anybody needs, or wants to hike that day.

re Cliff and Redfield

We just did this last Friday and Saturday. We hiked in and camped at Lake Colden lean to because we knew there was a family of 6 ahead of us heading for the Uphill lean-to. Jay gave us great info.

The cairns for Cliff and Redfield are across on the right from the camp sign for the Uphill lean-to. (Cliff being the first cairn and Redfield the second)

The climb up both was fine. The beginning of Cliff was muddy but easy enough to skirt around. The rest of the trail was easy enough to follow. We messed up coming back over the false summit and went left when we should have gone right but just backtracked.

It can be done as a day but it will be long. I didn't feel like rushing and it gave me an excuse to camp out at one of our favorite spots. The walk out still felt long, though, with a full pack. I'm a wimp. Have fun.

Good Luck Diana!

Sorry I missed the chance to do Couchie with you. I did two more (Street and Nye) on the BBQ weekend but I've still got a long way to go. (16)
Unfortunately won't be available to hike this W/E.
I'm sure you'll get a good crowd going though.

Good Luck!

-Phil

Hey, Lurkette - fun going! Two interesting peaks to finish your list!! Enjoy them and your celebration. Redfield is excellent. Leave time to enjoy the peak and VFTT then hit one of the water holes on the way out! It should be great weather that I'm sending over to you from this end of the state.

(The only other advise I can recall is that we had a tough time finding the real peak on Cliff... you come to what you may think is the top, but in fact you have to take one more col and over to the true summit. When we did it there was recent blowdown -- I'm sure has been beaten down into a more discernable herd path.)

HH are waiting!!!

Bubba makes an interesting point, I typically put the summits and other landmarks in my GPS for emergencies and when looking at my topo program (maptech's TN), it shows three peaks on Cliff, one that is somewhat NE, one in the middle and very very tiny one in the SW. My elevation data shows the east or NE peak to be the highest, whereas the herdpath goes towards the middle one. The SW one seems to be clearly 10s of feet lower in contour lines. I don't recall the date of the elevation data but I marked both peaks just cause they were so close. Now, I'm sure the elevations are not off by much and heck, it was once thought to be a 4k peak anyway so there is difference between the elevation data and actual elevation but just thought I'd point that out.

Jay