Colden Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sleeping bear

Reaction score
How's the trail from Lake Colden up Mt. Colden? Is it really steep, crazy ledges and scrambling, just steep or what? Is it one of those "not recommended for going down" type of things? Is is reasonable to dayhike from the leantos up and then back down that same trail? Or is best to go up that way and make a loop going down the other side?

Thanks

The trail up from Lake Colden is steep with a lot of slab rock. It can get rough on the knees during the descent. With care there should be no problems. A good alternative would be a descent via Lake Arnold to Feldspar and Uphill and down from there. Though longer with a knack for getting wet in a few spots it is a gentler route and does give you a sense of being in the wilderness. You also get an up close view of one of the slides on the east side of Colden. There are two lean-tos along the way for a lunch or rest break. The Lake Arnold route is worth doing for the variety of it and the ability to experience another corner of the ADKs.

Either route is a reasonable day hike. The steep side is not dangerous, just very steep.

I hiked it (going down) about ten days ago, and found occasional blowdown (particularly along the lower half of the trail) but it wasn't much of a problem. On the Lake Arnold side there was almost no blowdown, but more mud.

I've done the loop in both directions, and I guess a choice of direction would depend on whether you preferred to ascend or descend the tougher leg of the hike. The Lake Colden side is unrelentingly steep, but never really dangerous as has been mentioned (certainly no problem with a daypack). IMO it is the much more interesting side of the mountain however, and has the better views.

If you're comfortable with some scrambling and slide climbing, a really interesting alternate loop is to go up the Trap Dike from Avalanche Lake and back down the trail to Lake Colden. Check the many threads and Andrew's trip report - the whole key is getting out of the Dike at the right place. Too low and you're on a really steep slide, too high and you're into the cripple brush. Just right and it's an awesome hike!

Good advice. I'd agree, it's way steeper than the Arnold approach but not dangerously so. I'd suggest a loop somehow just for the varied terrain you get.

If your going up that way, then heading down to Lake Arnold. From there you can go left down to Avalanche Camp and through the pass, or right around Feldspar/Uphill Brook and then back down to the Flowed Lands/L. Colden area.

Those loops are longer alternatives, but like I said, you'll see more of the area that way. Going through the pass is something else too, very pretty.

Or...

Another alternative is to descend via one of the slides on the east side and come back down to Lake Colden via the Opalescent River Trail. It's shorter and a little more adventurous.

I did this with some guys on my first hike in the Daks. I couldn't say which slide it was or give you good enough info to help, but I'm sure there are people here who could.

We descended that trail, but have never ascended it (would be easier, as others have said). Near the top there are some ledges, and one of them gave me considerable pause going down it. Up would not have been a problem.

Oldsmores said:
...the whole key is getting out of the Dike at the right place. Too low and you're on a really steep slide, too high and you're into the cripple brush.
We must have lucked out. We found a herd path all the way to the saddle, where we struck the main trail to the summit.

Here's another vote for the loop idea -- up from Lake Colden and down via Lake Arnold and the Opalescent.

It's been a long time since I did that particular hike, but my recollection is that it made a great day without any real difficulties.

G.

I did Colden a few years ago, ascending via Lake Arnold and descending toward Lake Colden. I don't remember it being especially bad, except for one very steep rock slab (overlooking: nothing !) near the top. I descended it backwards, holding into a crack, to get my mind off the "exposure".

Worse was the long late-day trek back to Marcy Dam. That dissuaded me from coming back through the hitch-ups the next day (just) to do Marshall.

I'm easily "exposed", BTW but it's nice occasionally to have your heart pound from something other than exertion. Maybe 2-3 minutes, once per trip :^).
Got my ration last week, descending the scenic trail off Sawteeth. There's something about approaching a steep ladder from above......

Moonrock

moonrock said:
I did Colden a few years ago, ascending via Lake Arnold and descending toward Lake Colden. I don't remember it being especially bad, except for one very steep rock slab (overlooking: nothing !) near the top. I descended it backwards, holding into a crack, to get my mind off the "exposure".
Yep, that's the one! :eek:

I agree that the Colden side is much more interesting. I only went down Colden to Lake Colden and it is steep and goes on forever but the reward of coming out at the Lake is justified. Personally I liked seeing Lake Colden and going along Avalanche Lake in late afternoon or early evening. For some reason I like getting to some beautiful view late afternoon or evening. I think it's because it's such a beautiful time of the day, birds singing, soft colors by a lower sun and I just enjoy being at a pretty spot at that time relaxing, unwinding a bit and just letting it all soak in. So I'm glad we did the loop up Arnold and down Colden for the time of day we got to Lake Colden and Avalanche Lake. The midday sun to me is harsh from an artistic point of view.

I've done the loop twice, both times counter-clockwise. It's a long grind going up, especially if it's hot, but it shouldn't be hazardous as long as it's not icy.

One thing to watch out for: After you go over the top and start heading toward Lake Arnold, the trail drops into the woods and it looks as if there's a four-way intersection. Continue straight ahead; the trail climbs up onto an open knob before going back down again.

It caused me some consternation the first time I was up there, trying to figure out which way to go. I guess the path to the left connects with the dike route eventually, although when I accidentally took that route that first time the path just petered out and didn't seem to go anywhere. The path to the right went farther, I think, but I wouldn't swear to that now.

Pete,

Thanks for the old map. I've noticed that old junction many times on my way through, and that explains it.

(It was interesting to see a couple of old routes in the John's Brook valley, too, with a loop over the East spur of Tabletop, and the trail up to the cliffs on "Witchopple Mountain" (now Howard Mountain). And no trail up Phelps! How things change!)

TCD

I'ts steep going up. I was just glad we came down Lake Arnold. I would not have wanted to go back the way we came. Make sure its a dry day. We went after a rain, and the rock was slippery. It was the only hike I couldn't wait to finish. There is a section near the top that if your afraid of hights could give you a little scare.