Common Hiking Related Injuries and Avoiding Them

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HikingBryan

Reaction score
Hello All,

I was wondering if any of you have any knowledge of common hiking-related injuries? That is, what are the most common overuse and acute injuries often found/experienced while hiking?

I am currently suffering from what I hope is ITBFS, to be professionally diagnosed next week, in addition to a torn medial meniscus from a previous hiking related fall. Unfortunately, this has put a limit to the amount of climbing I can do, and thus has me in a relatively foul mood…

Do any of you have a pre-hike stretching routine/ritual that you follow in order to avoid specific injuries?

Thanks,

Bryan

Random muscular aches and pains, including ITB syndrome (thankfully mild) and a touch of patellofemoral syndrome. There is one great book I found, titled "Stretching". No, really. it's great. I concentrate on back, hip area (for ITB) and legs for 5-10 minutes pre-hike, and some after if I have any energy left. Then, start hiking the first 5 minutes on the slow side, and ice cranky areas (knees and/or hips) afterward for 10-15 minutes.

For ITB, ice and (unfortunately) easing up on the workouts for a couple weeks is probably best. For the meniscus, strengthen those quads! Oh yeah, use poles too (unless bushwhacking or very steep).
Good luck.

Weatherman

HikingBryan said:
..Do any of you have a pre-hike stretching routine/ritual that you follow in order to avoid specific injuries?

Some here practice yoga.

"Pain Free" is a good book. Billed as REVOLUTIONARY ! It's not, but it's good.

-Stretching more would have helped me avoid a groin (Adductor Muscles) pull in early winter.

-No statistical evidence, but I bet a common injury is a pulled back muscle caused by plucking up a heavy pack with one arm. I've done it. Heavy packs require some finesse when putting on and taking off.

-"Down Hill Knee Syndrome" is another common "injury". Hiking poles and hiking up and down a local, steep hill with a pack 40 or 50 times twice a week, on top of other exercise, has cured that for me.

Last edited:
According to the Wilderness Risk Managers Conference proceedings and reports backpacking is the activity that produces the most injuries, albeit usually the least severe. This is caused in part by the perception of its freedom from risk-- you're just walking down a trail, what's dangerous about that? Carrying a pack though, changes your balance, center of gravity, and puts additional stress on muscles and joints. Sprained ankles are the most common injury reported. I realize this thread isn't about backpacking injuries specifically, but it somewhat implied since most of us carry packs even when dayhiking, although some are larger than others. Stretching is a good start, but also just recognizing that your body will "handle" differently will go a long way as well. And, as others have mentioned- poles help a lot. I've heard they can reduce the stress on your knees up to 25% (now that number doesn't seem quite right??).

Last edited:
Make sure you're getting enough Calcium + Vitamin D to avoid bone-related issues/fractures.

Some also swear by the supplement Glucosamine for joint health, but I don't have any experience with that.

I just started incorporating stretching and leg strengthening exercises after being diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome. (I was stretching but I was not doing the right ones) I have been in PT for about a month and on my visits there they work on my IT band through massage and ultrasound. I also had to get a new pair of sneakers to help correct my pronation. In addition I bought a foam roller which I use often to help break up the scar tissue along my IT band...it hurt like hell the first few times but now it is getting better so its not too bad.

So, what I have learned from all of this is that even though I exercise and hike a ton I have weak leg muscles. :eek: I had a hard time buying into this but I soon realized that my left leg was much weaker than my right leg.

I my case my injuries were a combination of several different things...now that I know what to do I can hopefully avoid this in the future.

-MEB

MEB said:
I my case my injuries were a combination of several different things...now that I know what to do I can hopefully avoid this in the future.
Gee, MEB, is this what's known as an "overuse injury?" :eek: :D

How're you doing on the Grid?

MEB said:
I just started incorporating stretching and leg strengthening exercises after being diagnosed with patellofemoral syndrome. (I was stretching but I was not doing the right ones) I have been in PT for about a month and on my visits there they work on my IT band through massage and ultrasound. I also had to get a new pair of sneakers to help correct my pronation. In addition I bought a foam roller which I use often to help break up the scar tissue along my IT band...it hurt like hell the first few times but now it is getting better so its not too bad.

I'm a big fan of the foam roller and it has helped my recovery from PFS too. This is what I use:

http://www.performbetter.com/detail.aspx_Q_ID_E_4918_A_CategoryID_E_235

The technical term is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myofascial_Release

HTH,
Tim

Last edited:
sleeping bear said:
And, as others have mentioned- poles help a lot. I've heard they can reduce the stress on your knees up to 25% (now that number doesn't seem quite right??).
Do you think it's higher or lower ? If I guessed, I would say they helped my knees, especially on the downhills, at least that much.

From this article;

"According to a 1999 study in the Journal of Sports Medicine, using poles on a 25 degree downhill grade reduces the amount of compressive forces on the knees by 12-25 percent. Another study found that poles also reduce knee stress on level ground, though by a lesser amount (approximately 5 percent). Trekking poles have myriad other advantages. They help on ascents, allowing you to use your arm and shoulder muscles to push yourself upward. Backpackers with heavy loads often find them valuable for maintaining balance with a higher center of gravity."

MEB said:
I also had to get a new pair of sneakers to help correct my pronation. -MEB
I have prescription orthotics to correct pronation (and to help support a high arch and for metatarsal arch support. :eek: ) They are expensive up front, but last for years and can be inserted into almost any shoe with a removable foot bed. These, stretching and exercise have allowed me to stay ahead of bouts of severe, disabling foot pain I experienced in my 30's.

I do have the custom made orthodics and they make a world of difference and I would highly recommend getting them. It was my choice of sneakers was part of the problem...the everyday sneaker I was wearing had no stability so even with the orthodics my gait was still off.

I also was suprised to find out that my foot is now one size bigger :eek:

-MEB

ps....Mad Townie is right...totally an overuse injury.

Piriformis syndrome

How about this one? I am undergoing physical therapy for literally a pain in the (left) buttocks, which became so debilitating that I dropped out of Team Dom last month. :( I think that snowshoe post-holing NH4s solo in April was part of the cause. But, at least the PT beats hip replacement surgery, which is what I feared. :)

http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/sprainsstrains/a/piriformis.htm

The piriformis is on the list of muscles which I routinely stretch, I also roll it with the above foam roller. It may, or may not help you though. The stretch I like involves lying on my back, putting one leg across the other, crossing one ankle over the other knee, and lifting the knee towards my head.

Tim