Does anybody actually read the guide first?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GNR

Reaction score
I have always read the maps, and then the AMC guide afterward, to see if it matched up and what I remember...I've been warned not to make this a habit. This past weekend, I failed to read the book, even while stopped at Galehead hut, about the Franconia Brook Trail and the detour that supposedly exists around an area with an 'enthusiatic' beaver colony. I completely missed the detour, and tried to ford the wet area (dumb) and the beavers actually got a bit agitated and then down right too close for comfort. Do they bite?

I then bushwhacked right around the pond, only to find the going too thick, hopped in the brook and walked about 1000 yards down stream, and then whacked back to what I thought was the FBT, but was really the Lincoln Brook trail. Made it back fine after running into another hiker, and would have enjoyed the last 2 hours better had I read the damn book first.

PS Found an LLBean tent that looked like it had been ripped off someone's pack while they did a similar route. Left it.

Always read the guide - many times over - and I love looking at maps.
All of this being said - I never bring the guide book or remember much of what I read until I re read it when I return. Seriously - if there is something super important I commit it to memory and may even write it down for the trip...

I completely forgot I had the ADK Catskills guide until one day I stumbled upon it. Even then, I would read the guide after the hikes and then try to figure out how accurate it is. I think it's more of an adventure if you don't know every twist and turn in the trail. One reason I like to hike is for the adventure and the idea of exploration.

Jay

Some of the best sections of the WMG are in the Appendices - Best Short Hikes, Medium Hikes, etc (or labeled something to that effect). I think most of us overlook them because mostly we use the guide to give us specific info on a trail. But once/if you're past the peakbagging mode, those appendices are useful (and accurate).

I used to be more anal about it when I first started out becuase I wanted to make sure that I wasn't going to be biting off more than I could chew. I still read them if going a trail I haven't done - mostly for river crossings, and stuff like you mentioned etc.. some like the advanture of not knowing, I like knowing - to each their own. :)

I never did buy the new AMC white mountain guide - mine is the 1992 version (silver) - don't think much has changed and if so - I never had a problem. these days I am usually hiking with folks who b/t us - know the ins and out of every area in the whites (trail wise), so its usually not a problem.

Only read the guide for mileage of each trail and for the history blurbs. Love looking at maps.
I'm too ADD to read through a description of a trail. Most trails in the Whites, ADKs, Catskills, Vermont are pretty well marked anyway from what I have experienced. Plus, if you take a map and compass, or GPS, you should be able to find your way (or learn in the process).

But I do believe in having updated maps, as I headed out to Whiteface once and did not know that all the shelters around Whiteface and Passaconaway were gone (my map showed them). Made a shelter in the trees with my poncho, no worries. ;)

I always read them first. Something about trying to picture in my mind what the trail will be like before actually getting to it. Getting ideas about areas of concern or things to look for. Kind of like reading a book before seeing the movie. :confused:

Of course, with my mind, trails never look like I expect them to after reading about them.

But an hour with a book and maps is fun….

I always read/study the WMG descriptions before heading out. Being a weekend warrior-type, I figure it's the way to stay out of trouble.

I do spend much more time reading trip reports and trail conditions on this site than I do the AMC Guide. I love maps, and I love compute mapping software even more. I tend to bring far more water along than I have to and if I read the guide more often I would know where ot find it better.

Always

I read it as part of my trip planning. I especially watch for information about the trail grade. I look for words like "the trail steepens". I also watch for places where it indicates unusual trail locations, or turns.

Thinking about it, since most of my hiking has been in the winter, when it's sometimes more difficult to follow the trail, pre-reading the guide has definitely saved me time by not getting off the trail as often, or if I do get off trail, I'm not off for as long as I might have if I hadn't read it.

There's often good info about trails that are particularly bad for descent, or escape from above treeline. It's good to know about that in advance.

I read the guides when I’m doing a week long or longer hike, such as the Long Trail or the Northville-Placid Trail. Other than that I generally like to study the map and pick out where I want to hike that way. In fact other than the NPT guide, I don't own any guide books for the Adirondacks where I do most of my hiking.

I read up before all new hikes for many of the reasons stated. Knowing things like stream crossing information and smooth ledge can be particularly helpful for my planning.

Also, the Guide's directions to trailheads are usually VERY GOOD. Examples include getting to Success Pond Road near Berlin, NH and the Wright Trail in Ketchum, ME near Sunday River.

Marty

Yep, I always do for many of the reasons stated here.....although it didn't help this past weekend. :( I was totally bummed when we decided to bag the trip to the Kinsmans, I was sooo looking forward to staying at the Pond......The WMG map shows a small trail crossing from the Basin to get onto the Basin-Cascade Trail, but for some reason we couldn't figure out where it actually was....???? Any suggestions, ideas where to pick up this trail from the Basin parking lot?

I always read the guidebooks before I go, and I LOVE looking over maps.

Most of the responders are stating that they read the guidebooks.

However, judging by the number of questions asked here and on the AMC BBS that could be answered by a quick look at the guidebook, it would appear that there is a significant group that does not bother to do so...

Maybe we need a new acronym? RTFG (Read the Fine Guidebook). :)

Doug

I read the guidebook once in a while. I always look at maps before I go to get a general idea of which trails to take, but I like the spontaneity of choosing trails to take without knowing anything about them. I find that the best things in life happen when you are not expecting them. I like to stumble across happy surprises. Planning seems to take the fun out of things. I like to spontaneously plan a hike on a friday afternoon, and then go where my feet take me.

I rarely read the fine guidebook. Blow by blow descriptions that go like, "then the trail crosses a brook and after climbing gently turns left" bring out the ADD in me too.

However, I do most of my hiking in the Dacks where there aren't as many trails. When I go to the Whites I use the (amazing) AMC guidebook to figure out all those hundreds of trails, junctions etc. and where to park.

My wife OTOH reads the descriptions avidly and likes to know exactly what she is in for. She especially does this for hikes I recommend because she dosn't trust me.

I will usually do a quick read of a guidebook and browse of the map. It only takes a couple of minutes. OK, OK, full disclosure, I sometimes consult up to a dozen different guidebooks before going, and it may take a bit more time. And I do search for online guides and prior TRs. It kind of gets obsessive, compulsive. But I don't want to miss anything ... that viewpoint or waterfall a short distance on an intersecting trail, some historical novelty, a rare tree or plant species, blah blah blah. Anyway I still find enough spontaneous surprises that are not in any guidebook. And the over prep never inhibits my discoveries. Then back home I squander several hours trying to identify and sort out all the serendipitous stuff that I found.

I do read the WMG before my hike, and read my map before, during and after my hike. But I also occasionally ask trail questions here.

I think WMG descriptions and the map help me paint a picture in my head, but I don't rely on it too much on, for example steepness. The guide is written for broad audience, when it say "steep" I can't quite understand what does it mean to me (it will increase my awareness that's for sure). But if I post something here, for example if Giggy say "steep", that tells me a lot more than the guidebook.

Trip reports and Trail conditions from VFTT esp those with pictures showing the trail help me greatly when planning and even during my hike. Thank you folks!