Drinking alcohol on the trail/summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of people drinking alcohol on the trail or summit?

• Isn't that just plain illegal??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Confession

I'm one of the two nerds who actually voted "inappropriate in front of children." I have this thing about setting an example - that there is a time and place for everything. Kinda like drinking and driving. Though I might have one brew (even if driving) upon returning to the trailhead, I wouldn't want to do that in front of kids. Yeah, I know it's kinda hypocritical, practice what you preach and all that. But, I'm not perfect and I don't want to set a bad example of front of those that may be impressionable. No judgment on others, that's just me drawing an arbitrary line somewhere... :eek:

albee said:
...Congratulations... you now qualify for the second part of this experiment. Why do you think I included that as an option?

A) Because I wanted to see how many people would read a bias into a neutral question based on a negative sounding option in the poll.
B) Because I know that there is a certain subset of people that would just feel like saying that to me anyway, regardless of the question.
C) Because I'm stupid enough to give people the chance to tell me off in my own poll and I really get offended by those that did. ;)

Think real hard... but don't think for a second that I didn't expect that to be a popular choice.
NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Currently, it looks as if "Get off your high horse, Albee!" is winning. No surprise there.
My point exactly!
Why have a poll if you already know the outcome. I believe the whole thread was a subtle flaming of a few particular VFTT'ers.

Gris said:
I don't want to set a bad example of front of those that may be impressionable. No judgment on others, that's just me drawing an arbitrary line somewhere... :eek:
Why is it a bad example? It's just alcohol -- it's not like you're guzzling a big cup of urine or anything.

I know this is anecdotal but, when I was a kid, my parents didn't drink much (and still don't) but they did drink and they did drink around me and they even occasionally got drunk when I was around. But they never for a moment told me that it was bad or evil. We're talking about pretty conservative parents too. They even let me have a few sips. But I think somehow the example they set helped me become a responsible alcohol drinker in the future (the present). I'm not a parent (yet. oh no) but I think that the more you try to keep stuff from kids the more curious they're gonna be about it.

-Dr. Wu

I thought this statement made it a silly question:

albee said:
If talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette near others on the trail or summit is bad form, is drinking alcohol any less inappropriate?

Another hiker's choice of beverage doesn't impact my enjoyment of the hike, unless they pour their beverage on my head. Cell phones and cigarettes, however, are a direct assault upon my senses.

As for kids and exposure to alcohol consumption, that's for their parents to worry about, and nobody else. Personally, I advocate setting an example of responsible consumption, but that is merely my opinion, and as they say, opinions are like buttholes . . . everybody has one ;)

Hey now! Public props for dvbl for having the first really funny thing to say in several pages.

You could ride the cog and poll them on mooners!

You could hike up to the Black Mountain cabin... and don't forget the champagne!

You could run from the Moats to the Moat pub and get a growler to go!

Lighten up, everyone, and let's keep those roasty calls & letters coming!

dvbl said:
I'm not answering this poll until you ask us if we think you should go hiking this weekend.
I think some people wish I would go jump off a bridge this weekend!

But seriously, there has been some good, honest feedback in this thread so far... some people have expressed their opinions in a respectful manner without making negative judgments on others. The questions in my first post were meant to encourage discussion, not to preach any personal agenda. Why do you think I took the time to include a lengthy disclaimer in the last paragraph?

Gris, I'm impressed with your honesty in front of this crowd. That is one of the bravest things I have ever read on this board, and you shouldn't be ashamed of your opinion.

I simply hope that this thread has gotten its readers to think about and respect the opinions of others on this subject. :)

dr_wu002 said:
Why is it a bad example? It's just alcohol -- it's not like you're guzzling a big cup of urine or anything.

I know this is anecdotal but, when I was a kid, my parents didn't drink much (and still don't) but they did drink and they did drink around me and they even occasionally got drunk when I was around. But they never for a moment told me that it was bad or evil. We're talking about pretty conservative parents too. They even let me have a few sips. But I think somehow the example they set helped me become a responsible alcohol drinker in the future (the present). I'm not a parent (yet. oh no) but I think that the more you try to keep stuff from kids the more curious they're gonna be about it.

-Dr. Wu

Wu - It's a bad example if you do it at the trailhead and then get behind the wheel. It's a bad example if you have to hike back down a narly trail drunk and maybe get hurt. My opinion is/was there is a time and place for everything. FYI, my kids are 19 and 22 and I've gotten wasted with both of them, but not when we were driving or hiking anywhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.