Drinking alcohol on the trail/summit?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What do you think of people drinking alcohol on the trail or summit?

• Isn't that just plain illegal??

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
albee said:
Fair enough... but would your behavior (and your expectations of others) change if Aaron and Zachary were along for the trip?

Wow - you know my kids by name - points for you...

As far as the converstation topics - yes it would be different - as far as alcohol is concerned it would have no bearing on me, or whether or not I had a beer after a hike. I would be more concerned with them watching network television commercials than seeing people drink on a summit...much more disturbing...

I would also add that we do not deliberately talk about questionable subjects when others are around - although I have a real knack for saying the wrong thing right as some others round the corner...I have seen other hikers deliberately talk as to offend people outside of their hiking group - totally uncalled for IMHO...

As for expectations of others, well life has taught me not to expect much out of others - I like to be pleasantly surprised when they act appropriately, but I do not expect it...

There's a toast, and then there's getting toasted. I don't think that responsible, very moderate drinking should be objectionable around others.

That said, I enjoy back in camp, after the physical exertion, change to clean dry clothes, with dinner, dusk, and candle flame. Even then, I keep it low key. Easy enough, since I won't drink (or carry) anything stronger than wine (with a crisp, Lexan 'finish').

Generally, my stomach and brain are NOT interested in alcohol, mid-hike. A friend (who was hydration-challenged to begin with) drank down a tall beer that she found in a river, THEN tried to full-pack 2000 ft uphill in direct sun. After the puking subsided, we carried her stuff for her.

A few years ago, another friend was going to toast his 46th, on Allen, by passing around 1/2 liter of quality California Madeira. Unfortunately, the bear had other plans. Nice dental impression, though.

MR

looks like mats and I really made impressions on people. ;) yes, I am not a moron - I can read b/t the lines here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

some people hit the mountains to prove something to others others head there to escape the daily pressures of life and have fun.

If a beer on the summit offends someone - then they have bigger problems socially than the beer.

If seeing a beer on a summit is a lifelong problem for a child, then someone needs parenting classes.

I think like minded folks seek each other out and when that happens, there is no problem in the hills.

giggy - the raging alcoholic :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

giggy said:
looks like mats and I really made impressions on people. ;) yes, I am not a moron - I can read b/t the lines here. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

When was the last time you had a beer on a summit? Never, as far as I know...

It's not all about you, Giggy. (Unless you want it to be.) But I'm sorry if this topic makes anyone feel defensive enough to take shots at me.

I would have to say it's all good except that in certain, limited situations, alcohol and guns don't mix well. Just ask my friend who was shot at while on top of Moosilauke. He said those people were drinking.

-Dr. Wu

albee said:
When was the last time you had a beer on a summit? Never, as far as I know...

It's not all about you, Giggy. (Unless you want it to be.) But I'm sorry if this topic makes anyone feel defensive enough to take shots at me.

the keg is a clear reference to mats

I recently lugged a rather heavy bottle of champagne with enough heavy ice to keep it very chilled for a friend's 48th. It made a nice celebration out of the summmit of North Tri, but I had to be extra careful for a little while when leaving the summit. Ooops. The chocolate covered strawberries and cheese and crackers were good, too. A sparkling non-alcoholic drink might have worked as well.

dr_wu002 said:
I would have to say it's all good except that in certain, limited situations, alcohol and guns don't mix well. Just ask my friend who was shot at while on top of Moosilauke. He said those people were drinking.

-Dr. Wu
Alcohol and guns are one thing but when you toss uncontrollable and raging anger into the mix, well let me tell you mister, you have yourself an explosive situation on your hands right there. Especially if the gunslinger's a Sagittarius or a Pisces.

Why did someone shoot at your friend, was he talking to his dog on a cell phone?

Neil said:
Why did someone shoot at your friend, was he talking to his dog on a cell phone?
Here's the e-mail he just sent me.

-Dr. Wu

Reply to all Reply to allForward Forward Print Add Deacon to Contacts list Delete this message Report phishing Show original Message text garbled?
from Deacon Blues <[email protected]> hide details 4:45 pm (0 minutes ago)
to Francis Bock <[email protected]>
date Oct 17, 2007 4:45 PM
subject Re: Shooting Incident
mailed-by gmail.com
Oh yeah! That was crazy. So, about two years ago I was on the summit of Moosilauke and I was by myself. Well, I was sitting there, and I had eaten some mushrooms and suddenly this group of people celebrating finishing the 48 shows up and they're all excited and drinkin real heavy and stuff. Some of them started vomiting on each other and they were laughing and drinking more. Then, out of nowhere, they start shooting at me! Man, I just run like hell! I was screaming and freaking out, running as fast as I could. Since it was above treeline and I was parked at Glencliff, I had while to go before they couldn't see me anymore. They must have fired about 75-80 rounds -- some even had machine guns! One particularly crazy dude had a grenade launcher.

Anyway, it took me about 45 minutes but I finally made it to the junction of Glencliff and the Carriage Road. I went down Glencliff and they stopped shooting. Man, I still have nightmares from that one -- I wish you wouldn't remind me of that!! I didn't get shot or nothing but now I always worry about something like that happening again. I don't think that drinking and hiking is a good thing.

-Deacon Blues

On 10/17/07, Francis Bock <[email protected]> wrote:

Hey Dude, tell me about the time on Moosilauke when those people started shooting at you.

-Dr. Wu

giggy said:
the keg is a clear reference to mats

That may be one example of this behavior, but could you tell me where I suggested that it was inappropriate?

Feel free to PM or email me if you take personal offense to this thread. It wasn't meant that way at all.

P.S. Please read the original post carefully and note the last paragraph... and also note that it has not been edited in any way, shape or form. Also note the options in the poll... I'm quite surprised how many people have castigated me after I took so much time to craft a neutral, albeit provocative, question.

Last edited:
I didn't vote, nothing really close enough.

I see no problem with consuming adult beverages in the forest. If a person/group is loud an obnoxious, then it is that behavior that is repulsive, but that behavior can be observed in those high on Mountain Dew or Red Bull.

I occassionally enjoy a nice bourbon, scotch, or cognac, but noone would even know it because I don't scream out loud while consuming. Years ago, it would've been a hit of the herb, but again, noone would ever know because I just wouldn't present that to strangers. It's just not polite. It is only the uncivilized behavior that often accompanies alcohol that disgusts.

So, live and let live, no matter what the choice of beverage, but thte "let live" part means don't be a pain in a%# to others.

happy trails :)

albee said:
...If talking on a cell phone or smoking a cigarette near others on the trail or summit is bad form, is drinking alcohol any less inappropriate?...
NO, but I think whining about it is!

I don't normally drink alcohol except when someone's celebrating their 48th, but this weekend, atop a 4,000 footer, I'm going to drink to your health Albee.

Currently, it looks as if "Get off your high horse, Albee!" is winning. No surprise there.

I personally don't drink alcohol on the trails or at the summit but I always have a cold one (or two, or three) waiting for me at the trailhead. I have seen a few people drink at the summit and have no problem with it. If they are noisy and out of control I don't think I'd like that too much since I think a little bit of noise discipline adds to enjoying the trails and the overall hiking experience.

As for the drinking in front of kids is concerned... I have a friend whose wife won't allow him to drink a beer in front of their kids, then again she doesn't allow him to use the bathroom w/o asking her first. I have no problem drinking a beer in front of my 4 year old son. In fact he refers to beer as "daddy's juice". I'm glad he does that, since he knows it's not for him.

Last edited:
I answered based on the "summit" aspect of the question. If you're headed up and down the same day I have had a nip only once, to celebrate a 48 completion, and it was only a small cup of bubbly, otherwise, personally I do not drink and hike. (Not to say I haven't sweated out a hangover or two ;) Sure do like a nip back at the trailhead though....

On the other hand, if you're planted on the trail for the night, as adults it's your own choice, just be respectful of others, temper your behavior to your shelter companions.

Damon

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
I don't normally drink alcohol except when someone's celebrating their 48th, but this weekend, atop a 4,000 footer, I'm going to drink to your health Albee.
I'd be honored. :)

NH_Mtn_Hiker said:
Currently, it looks as if "Get off your high horse, Albee!" is winning. No surprise there.
Congratulations... you now qualify for the second part of this experiment. Why do you think I included that as an option?

A) Because I wanted to see how many people would read a bias into a neutral question based on a negative sounding option in the poll.
B) Because I know that there is a certain subset of people that would just feel like saying that to me anyway, regardless of the question.
C) Because I'm stupid enough to give people the chance to tell me off in my own poll and I really get offended by those that did. ;)

Think real hard... but don't think for a second that I didn't expect that to be a popular choice.

Let's keep this thread civil and friendly without casting judgements on people with different opinions, okay?

I kinda feel like the whole thread is about casting judgement. Who am *I* to judge people's choice of liquid refreshment? :confused:

albee said:
Congratulations... you now qualify for the second part of this experiment. Why do you think I included that as an option?

Usually when you do experiments with human subjects you inform them and get their permission first.
albee said:
Think real hard... but don't think for a second that I didn't expect that to be a popular choice.
When you already thought you knew what the outcome would be then why design the experiment with built in bias to support the predicted results?

It looked to me that you your stance was anti-booze to begin with and rather than state your opinion you started this poll.

I think this entire charade should be deleted but I won't start a poll to find out who's for or against me.

Status
Not open for further replies.