Dual Survival

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve-o

Reaction score
I'm sure some of you have seen this show which is aired on the discovery channel.
There used to be threads comparing Bear Grylls to Les Stroud but, I haven't seen any input on this show.
This show is about two different guys, with totally different backgrounds and ethics, working together.
Somehow, it works. I don't know but, I enjoy it more than the other shows.

Anyhow,
These guys are all over the globe but, the next episode will take place in northern Maine which, I think some of us on this board can relate to more.
might be worth checking out.

Here's the scenario;
In the isolated woods of northern Maine, Cody and Dave take on the role of two travelers, lost and out of gas on an abandoned logging road. Their only resource is a broken down truck, which they pillage for all it's worth including a can of dog food.

I think this episode was filmed in early spring so, should be interesting...

I hope to miss the first showing on July 1st, on the Discovery Channel but, I'm sure I'll catch a rerun.

I like Dave.

Anyone that would cut his arm with a knife, pour gun power on it and light it up to see if would cauterize is OK in my book. :rolleyes:
He's a good combination of redneck git-ur-dun and team player.

Cody on the other hand is a pansy. I lost all respect for the guy when he tried to make a canoe by hollowing out a log using fire. He needs to buy a pair of shoes.

I really enjoy watching these guys. Definitely different approaches to things but a pretty good team in the end. Hadn't seen the preview on the Maine episode. Should be good. I'll need to make sure there are no DVR conflicts for that one...

I like Dave.

Anyone that would cut his arm with a knife, pour gun power on it and light it up to see if would cauterize is OK in my book. :rolleyes:
He's a good combination of redneck git-ur-dun and team player.

Cody on the other hand is a pansy. I lost all respect for the guy when he tried to make a canoe by hollowing out a log using fire. He needs to buy a pair of shoes.

I dont buy that he hikes in the snow with no shoes I think this show may be staged like bear grylls

One of the main selling points of the show, over Bear or Les, is the fact that there is automatically a conflict (or difference of opinions and styles), regardless of where they are.

I kind of enjoy it... it will get watched when not in conflict with the Red Sox, Bruins, etc.

Tim

I dont buy that he hikes in the snow with no shoes I think this show may be staged like bear grylls

There is definately staging in the show, they have a disclaimer at the beginning. I like the differences they bring to the table. The redneck v. hippie angle is pretty funny at times.

There is definately staging in the show, they have a disclaimer at the beginning. I like the differences they bring to the table. The redneck v. hippie angle is pretty funny at times.

It's a TV show. Don't think too deep on this. If it has ratings it will stay, if it doesn't they will add some young women with no bra and short shorts who gets her shirt wet all the time and bends over a lot. :D They added chicks to Ice Road Truckers and the'll soon be on Deadelist Catch. :rolleyes:

It's just entertainment and if you learn something it's a plus. :)

I like it. Nice contrast of personalities.

It's a TV show. Don't think too deep on this. If it has ratings it will stay, if it doesn't they will add some young women with no bra and short shorts who gets her shirt wet all the time and bends over a lot. :D They added chicks to Ice Road Truckers and the'll soon be on Deadelist Catch. :rolleyes:

It's just entertainment and if you learn something it's a plus. :)

I like it. Nice contrast of personalities.

Sounds like a way better show your way.

For real...

FWIW- The guy that taught our SOLO WFA course last year knew Cody, had taken courses from him, and the barefoot thing was for real. He had the highest respect for him and said Cody had an tremendous wealth of knowledge regarding desert survival.

...knowledge regarding desert survival.

Ha, now that you mention it...

The exchange between the two of them regarding Cody offering to pee on Dave's head wrap (while peeing on his own to keep cool in the desert) was pretty funny. Dave obviously turned down the offer. :D

Last edited:
The exchange between the two of them regarding Cody offering to pee on Dave's head wrap (while peeing on his own to keep cool in the desert) was pretty funny. Dave obviously turned down the offer. :D

I saw that! Makes sense, waste nothing but can you imagine the smell after you do that a few times. :eek:

Flies? Bugs? Well, you could eat them. That's a plus. :)

FWIW- The guy that taught our SOLO WFA course last year knew Cody, had taken courses from him, and the barefoot thing was for real. He had the highest respect for him and said Cody had an tremendous wealth of knowledge regarding desert survival.

I saw a video (on YouTube I think) of Cody giving a guy a tour of his home in Arizona. It is all green and sustainable. So yes, he is the real deal. He lives the lifestyle he preaches.

I also like Dave very much. He is someone a relate to. I think he said it best in this last episode "Cody would call me a hilbilly, but I prefer the politically correct 'Appalachian American'".....Yup, that is me. :D

So yeah, I like the show very much. I also really liked "Man, Woman, Wild" too. And of course the great Les Stroud and his Survivorman show was wonderful. Bear Gryls on the other hand.......

Brian