Eastern Mountain Sports (EMS) has been sold...

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Near term changes will include stopping what's not working and doing more of what does. (closing unprofitable stores and activities and discontinuing unprofitable product offerings). Behind the scenes they will pump money into the business to start marketing aggressively while working to sort out operational issues and rationalize vendors. I wish them luck.

I hope they remain a hiking and backpacking gear store. While I have always been happy with the EMS brand clothing I have bought, if they become a clothing store only, I think they will lose a lot of traffic.

Versa buys troubled companies with the goal of fixing them. Near term changes will include stopping what's not working and doing more of what does. (closing unprofitable stores and activities and discontinuing unprofitable product offerings). Behind the scenes they will pump money into the business to start marketing aggressively while working to sort out operational issues and rationalize vendors. Longer term it should mean a clear strategy and vision for the company plus some bold leadership instead of people doing CYA activities. Expect turnover of 4 - 8 significant positions at headquarters and good opportunities for people at the store level. There is a reason that REI has flourished into a national brand while EMS has languished (management). Versa will work to sort that out. I'd love to see EMS work and I'd love to see it become as strong as REI.

I wish them luck.

This and follow-ups to your post, Chugach, are interesting. My fairly superficial impression as an active shopper in this market for two-and-a-half years is that REI is quite superior to EMS in terms of selection, management and service at the point of sale. Often pricier, but of course with good opportunities to save if you keep your eyes peeled and check in often, which is easy for me since the local REI is in my town near other things I do.

It would be nice to see EMS up their game and maybe put some downward pressure on REI's pricing. I don't envy EMS's employees though, as V.C. outfits such as Versa often let go of as much staff as possible and strip as much pay and benefits as they can get away with, then flip the company in a few years. The upside scenario would be for them to firm up the company's management and marketing strategies, the downside would be for them to hollow it out to a shell. The reality will likely be somewhere in between, some elements of both approaches.

Last edited:
Even thought it's many miles away, it appears I will be taking many more trips to REI. I can only hope that Adventure Outfitters stays in business. It remains to be seen but I cannot imagine "Bob's Mountain Store" being anything like EMS.

Last edited:
Been an EMS customer back when they were a catalog company with 1 brick and mortar location. Their catalog and stock was extensive. They were a hiking gear vendor, and clothing was just part of what they sold. Over the years they expanded to stores all over NE and NY. There are 3 stores within minutes from where I live but the local locations and others I've visited are more and more clothing for casual hikers or purchasers and the equipment, gear, more technical clothing and packs has slowly disappeared from the satellite stores. Like many companies, EMS has gone to central ordering and purchasing for its stores. Unfortunately the store managers don't have a lot of influence on items that are of local interest. They need to go through channels to get more of an item, map or guidebook that would be a good local seller.
A couple of years ago I was told by someone in the corporate chain of command that EMS wanted to return to the 'old' EMS, more closely to REI, I haven't seen anything like that. I wish EMS and friends who work for them the best in this transition.

Maybe it's not unique to EMS, but I was in a store once and made a comment about a price difference on their web page. The response was something along the lines of "EMS.COM is essentially a completely separate company", which surprised me. Even if it is, you should not tell people that.

I'll wander into EMS in Burlington, VT once in awhile to get something like a pair of socks or something on sale, but generally their product line seems to have degraded IMO. If you are in B-town, Outdoor Gear Exchange has a vastly superior selection of up-to-date gear. (To their credit, the people in the EMS Burlington store bike department were great, rehabilitating my ancient Litespeed Ocoee back into form despite it's obsolete components.)

Maybe it's not unique to EMS, but I was in a store once and made a comment about a price difference on their web page. The response was something along the lines of "EMS.COM is essentially a completely separate company", which surprised me. Even if it is, you should not tell people that.

Along those lines, late last winter I bought Fran a winter pack from EMS online at a deeply discounted price. When it arrived it was too big, so she took it to our local EMS...the first reaction upon seeing the invoice was "how the heck did you get it so cheap?" That said, even though they didn't have a smaller size in stock, they made a couple calls and eventually found one in Soho. It was shipped direct to us, free of charge. Excellent service, indicative of our experience with EMS over the years!

I had an emergency need for snowshoes once and the online store had them, but the Peterborough store did not. I drove out there in a snowstorm and had to beg, plead, and threaten them (OK, not quite) to purchase them in the store. It was vastly more difficult than anyone would ever expect. So yes, I believe they are separate entities. Interestingly enough, if you order something from ems.com from inside the store, they always waive shipping costs.

Tim

Not exactly Blackrock. We'll see what happens when a bunch of arogent yahoos try to implement change. Then again, EMS needs help.

I had an emergency need for snowshoes once and the online store had them, but the Peterborough store did not. I drove out there in a snowstorm and had to beg, plead, and threaten them (OK, not quite) to purchase them in the store. It was vastly more difficult than anyone would ever expect. So yes, I believe they are separate entities. Interestingly enough, if you order something from ems.com from inside the store, they always waive shipping costs.

Tim

I think that this has gotten much better.

Last year, the Peterborough store was out of the shoe size that I needed durring a sale. They let me use the store phone to place an order over the phone, and about 20 minutes later, a wharehouse worker brought the shoes to the front counter. Still separate entities, but they've figured out how to make it work.

Speaking of shipping - I placed an order last evening, and the shipping charge was waived. Maybe it's now within the window of "Holiday Shipping Charge Holiday" (that's kinda clever, isn't it ;))

I noticed today when considering a purchase of Cabelas Avalanche boot that the price of $79.99 is for online only. (In store purchase may be higher.) If I want the boot delivered to the store to get that price it will take about a week. It seems this is a business model, not an anomaly with EMS. I remember that last year Brian saw a sale price on some walking shoes that was considerably higher in the store. They gave him the lower price. I wonder if I went to the store I could ask for the lower price for the boot. I'd like to try it on before I commit time, anticipation and money.

I noticed today when considering a purchase of Cabelas Avalanche boot that the price of $79.99 is for online only. (In store purchase may be higher.) If I want the boot delivered to the store to get that price it will take about a week. It seems this is a business model, not an anomaly with EMS. I remember that last year Brian saw a sale price on some walking shoes that was considerably higher in the store. They gave him the lower price. I wonder if I went to the store I could ask for the lower price for the boot. I'd like to try it on before I commit time, anticipation and money.

Ellen - FWIW - Cabela's has free shipping if you use their VISA card. I got one a few months ago - I think they give you a $25 credit on your first order. If you apply online, the whole process takes about 5 minutes. You always have to enter CLUBVISA in the promotion box, however. I don't think they offer free return shipping, however - unlike Bean's. But then again - nobody does it like Bean's.