easy 4K where I can see other flags on Flags On The 48

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpino

Reaction score
My girlfriend and I finished her NH48 last Sept on Mousilauke. Her niece and the niece's boyfriend joined us, and it happened to be Flags On The 48 day. It was a great experience coming up the ridge and seeing the flag up ahead (coincidentally there were GIs up there on maneuvers, which made it even more special).
So we would like to do another 4K on 9/11 this year. But we have an issue because now another niece wants to join us. The newcomer has never hiked so we would like to do a relatively easy 4K from which we could see other flags from surrounding 4Ks. In my opinion, Waumbek is the easiest 4K but it has a wooded summit with no views of other 4Ks unless you count a squint through the trees to the distant northern Pressies. So I was thinking Tecumseh might be our best bet. The summit is not open, but after seeing the flag at the summit it is an easy walk across the Sussman Trail to the top of Waterville Valley where we could see the flags on the Tris and the Osceolas.
Does anyone have any better ideas?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks very much.
Art

Pierce and Jackson are in the same ballpark, as is Osceola. Osceola has problems with the rough footing, Jackson has a few steep pitches, Pierce has neither of these problems.

I believe that anyone capable of doing a 4K can do any on this list. Basic point is to go slow and steady; if you have to stop then you have been going too fast.

If the weather is good it is hard to beat the views in the Presidentials, which is another reason I would vote for Pierce.

The Caps Ridge Trail on Jefferson is relatively short, about 2.5 miles to the summit. Footing is relatively rough in spots and you'll know you're climbing, but it'll get you up into the Northern Presidentials faster than other trails in the area. I won't call it easy but it may be worth considering.

Cannon does offer the option of a ride down. Eisenhower I think would be a good choice. You'll get Ike of course, Pierce & likely Monroe, Jackson, the peaks on the Willey Range & if memory serves, Jefferson as it's visible off to the side of Washington. Can also see some of Twins & Franconia Ridge. For the further peaks, binoculars or similar would be advisable.

I had my calendar clear but looks like I be taking Scout leader training on 9/11.;) yep, me & America's youth:eek:

The Caps Ridge Trail on Jefferson is relatively short, about 2.5 miles to the summit. Footing is relatively rough in spots and you'll know you're climbing, but it'll get you up into the Northern Presidentials faster than other trails in the area. I won't call it easy but it may be worth considering.

Youch! I would most certainly NOT take a first-time hiker on the Caps Ridge Trail. It may be relatively short; but definitely NOT for beginners - too steep, rough, and exposed.

Your thought of Tecumseh is probably the safest bet for a beginner hiker. Or Mt. Tom would work. Maybe Pierce if the beginner is adventurous. Cannon with the option to take the tram down would be a good idea, except for the fact that the easiest route (via Kinsman Ridge Trail from the ski area) is a lousy, badly eroded trail in the lower sections and I would hate to have that be someone's first introduction to NH hiking.

Last edited:
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. You've given me lots of options to think about.

My girlfriend and I finished her NH48 last Sept on Mousilauke. Her niece and the niece's boyfriend joined us, and it happened to be Flags On The 48 day. It was a great experience coming up the ridge and seeing the flag up ahead (coincidentally there were GIs up there on maneuvers, which made it even more special).
So we would like to do another 4K on 9/11 this year. But we have an issue because now another niece wants to join us. The newcomer has never hiked so we would like to do a relatively easy 4K from which we could see other flags from surrounding 4Ks. In my opinion, Waumbek is the easiest 4K but it has a wooded summit with no views of other 4Ks unless you count a squint through the trees to the distant northern Pressies. So I was thinking Tecumseh might be our best bet. The summit is not open, but after seeing the flag at the summit it is an easy walk across the Sussman Trail to the top of Waterville Valley where we could see the flags on the Tris and the Osceolas.
Does anyone have any better ideas?
I appreciate your input.
Thanks very much.
Art
You should join the FOT48 web site as well, and post this question over there.

a vote for Cannon

We had the priviledge of raising the flag on Cannon in 2007. A group from NJ came up specifically for the flag raising. Some took the tram up, others hiked.

The tram is a great option, whether up or down. If you want to see flags and have great views, I think Cannon is the best choice.

Welcome to Flags!

Wildcat is another option with the Gondola for easy up or down. If there is clear viewing, would be hard to beat.

Breeze

My crew and I will be on Mt. Tom. We are hoping to see flags on the Pressies and some of the Pemi peaks.

It's really a crapshoot to plan to see other flags however. We've had the event during some 5-star viewing days and also days where we could not see 15 feet in front of us. I'm hoping for sunshine and a mild breeze to get the flags unfurled.

Thanks again everyone.
Breeze, I hadn't thought of Wildcat. From there you should be able to see Washington, Adams, Madison and the Carters. Great choice.
And I understand your point, SilentCal. Last year we climbed Moosilauke and couldn't see 100 feet through the fog.