Endangered Hemlocks

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Solitary

Reaction score
I've been reading about the hemlock woolly adelgid. This species of insect was introduced from Asia in the 1920's in Virginia and is now found as far north as SE Maine. It has wiped out all the eastern hemlocks in Shenandoah National Park and there is a real battle going on to save the hemlocks in the Smokies. There is some indication that they can take winters with temps below -20, but others feel that's a false hope.

I only found one passing mention of it on VFTT, so I thought I'd post this reference:

A death in the forest by Richard Preston. The New Yorker, December 10, 2007.

and this link:

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/woollyadelgid/index.aspx

- solitary

"Adelges tsugae, the hemlock woolly adelgid, is a fluid-feeding insect that feeds on hemlock trees throughout eastern North America, including Pennsylvania. The egg sacs of these insects look like the tips of cotton swabs clinging to the undersides of hemlock branches."

I wondered what that stuff was! I saw this last summer here in PA in one of my favorite fishing spots. I will have to look but I think I took pictures of it.

Bad Bug!!!

I had a row of beautiful hemlocks in my backyard in RI. Three years ago they started to look somewhat un-healty and partially defoliated. Wooly adelgid. Had them sprayed four times, no luck. The chain saw came out this winter. In my lifetime I've seen these Hemlock eating beasts, Dutch Elm disease virtually wipe out all the elms in Southern New England, and maple wilt disease kill many of our soft maples. I guess the forests are constantly in transition and adjusting to changing environmental conditions. Sad but part of Mother Nature's cycle of life and death.

Ugh, we got them last year here in the Boston 'burbs - we sprayed last year and again this year, fingers crossed. The tree guy says they have had good local success (but I got no guarantee).

What a shame it would be to lose those gorgeous groves - ever seen the one in Fox State Forest?

At the Southern end of Walden Pond State Reservation in Lincoln, MA is a magnificent hemlock grove - I suggest anyone who wants to see some big honkin' hemlocks get there soon before the Q-tip bugs get them - its just a matter of time. There are also some groves of hemlocks right along the Southern shore of the pond - their demise will change the character of that part of the reservation.

The Hemlock is my absolute favorite Tree. I have many memories of hiking in the cool runs along streams in Northern PA wandering amongst these quiet giants and feeling the 10 -15 degree temperature difference as their massive coverage blocks out even the hottest of the suns rays.

Sadly, between the 18th and 19th centuries, 10's of thousands were cut and stripped of their bark for the burgeoning leather tanning industry (Tannic acid in the back) and the rest of the tree was left to rot.

Hate to see these guys go the path of the Elm and American Chestnut after surviving the logging years.

Rick said:
The Hemlock is my absolute favorite Tree. I have many memories of hiking in the cool runs along streams in Northern PA wandering amongst these quiet giants and feeling the 10 -15 degree temperature difference as their massive coverage blocks out even the hottest of the suns rays.

I know exactly what you are talking about Rick. I think this is why my favorite fishing spot holds trout year round! I love sitting under the trees when it is 90 degrees outside ;)

I was in the Smokies a few weeks ago and the devastation on the hemlock is shocking. Mountain sides with 50% and up of dead hemlocks. They have released a non-native beetle that only feeds of the adelgid. Hopefully this will slow or better yet stop the outbreak.

all the beams in my house ( 1780 post & beam cape) are hemlock that was felled from the land when it was cleared for farmland. The are still some good size Hemlocks out behind my house....I'm gonna check them out tomorrow.

Thanks for this thread!

I hate hearing about this. Just this past w/end at UFC's, we took a hike back into the hills behind his place. After topping out, we headed through a wonderful aged Hemlock grove to a lookout. We all commented on how delightful the section of the hike was, and I thought of how much I enjoy these beauties.

I was in the Smokies a few weeks ago and the devastation on the hemlock is shocking. Mountain sides with 50% and up of dead hemlocks. They have released a non-native beetle that only feeds of the adelgid. Hopefully this will slow or better yet stop the outbreak.
Oh, this is what scares me. "non-native...only feeds...." until it finds something else it likes almost as well and then we're off to the races. Again.

"Where have all the flowers gone..., when will they ever learn"

There is hope for hemlocks, at least in suburban settings where the problem can be economically addressed.

There are three hemlocks in our front yard, one formerly over 60' until lightning cut it in half (along with part of our house) two years ago. All were infested with the wooly aldegid. We have been spraying annually with horticultural oil, a benign treatment with no pesticides or side effects, and seem to have been successful in containing that wooly s.o.b. Even the stressed tree with lightning damage is flourishing and has put up a new main shoot. This contrasts with our neighbor's untreated 60' hemlock which is still infested and dying.

We also make a point of watering these trees in dry weather to help nourish them against the pest.

I understand lady bugs feast on the wooly s.o.b. so I make a point of relocating any I find to the hemlocks.

On another invasion, the winter moth, we've been fortunate to have a rise in nuthatches which I expect enjoy winter moths at some stage of their development. I credit this at least in part to the decline in winter moths around our yard and neighborhood.

... now if only something came along that ate those damned norway maples ...

Last year I came across an amazing stand of very big hemlocks in an area that is just off the beaten path. Leaving Appalachia from the East end of the lot you go up Fallsway and within twenty minutes you leave the hardwoods and enter a grove of virgin hemlocks. Dozens around two feet through and very tall. Also a few spruces that would dwarf tall ship masts. The added treat to walking through these gentle giants is that you get to take in five sweet waterfalls!