Energy Drinks - Risks and Rewards

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tom Rankin

Reaction score
NYT article states, "Federal officials have received reports of 13 deaths over the last four years that cited the possible involvement of 5-Hour Energy".

But also, "Living Essentials [the product owner] said the product was safe when used as directed and that it was “unaware of any deaths proven to be caused by the consumption of 5-Hour Energy.” ".

Full article.

A handful of us have been enjoying free Monster here at work for the past few years. No one has died yet but I can definately see how they could be bad for you health when consumed in excess. There is alot more to it than just the equivilent of a few cups of coffee. I will bring one on a hike occasionally and drink it on the way down. I tried drinking one once before I started and after a mile or so I thought I was going to throw it back up.

I can only say this. In my youth I drank LOTS of caffeine and one fine day I had a heart rate of about 180-200 and had difficulty breathing.
Bottom line is I have had to take beta blockers for years now and much to my cardiologist's dismay I do drink 1 cup of of coffee am and pm.
I will get some extra beats but for the most part the arrhythmias are controlled with the meds.
This is not a good thing to do. I took a number of trips to the ER because of it. If this happens when you are hiking it is really special! :eek:
Knowing what I know now, I would never do this again.
Some people are more sensitive to caffeine than others but seriously, there is no point in overdoing anything that could be detrimental to your health.
EVerything in moderation.

Last edited:
A handful of us have been enjoying free Monster here at work for the past few years. No one has died yet but I can definately see how they could be bad for you health when consumed in excess. There is alot more to it than just the equivilent of a few cups of coffee. I will bring one on a hike occasionally and drink it on the way down. I tried drinking one once before I started and after a mile or so I thought I was going to throw it back up.

I've had the same experience with Monster (never tried 5-Hour). I've had a Monster drink at the midpoint of some bigger hikes and had no problem, but I consumed one before a hike and it made me pretty queasy.

I had a similar bad reaction from drinking too much iced tea while doing heavy yard work in the late a.m. years ago.

I wonder whether it could be considered a PED and DQ anyone from the peakbagger lists or at least note your name with an asterisk*.

Personally, I usually try to avoid food and drinks with ingredients whose names I do not recognize, whose names I recognize as chemicals to be avoided for various health reasons, or which long term impacts are unknown. The first time I looked at ingredients in energy drinks I concluded that I could get all the "sugar" I needed from healthier natural sources and all the caffein I wanted from all the good coffee that is available, more economically and better tasting.

FWIW, my recommendation for those who feel the need for such drinks to complete a hike is to work towards physical conditioning and nutritional preparation instead. I expect we'll be learning more about the adverse effects of energy drinks as time goes on.

I agree with Maddy's sentiment regarding moderation, as well as individual sensitivity to caffeine. My own sensitivity can vary -- I've been known to nod off on the sofa after a cup of coffee :)

I'm familiar with the ingredients in, for example, a Monster energy drink. (I did notice the lack of high fructose corn syrup, lacking most likely because of its own controversial history as a sweetener.) I personally only have an issue with the Guarana seed extract, which I also found in some K-Cups that I ended up throwing out. They made me jittery and the Guarana didn't help the flavor much either.

It's likely that many of the adverse effects of Monster or 5-Hour drinks involve chronic use, over-consumption, and even consumer's pre-existing health conditions. For me, it's something I'll have a couple times a year and frankly, not notice any adverse effects. I generally like to hike 15-20+ mile hikes at near 100 percent of my potential, and the last energy drink I had didn't make me accelerate to 120%, or anything close to it. I just felt a little fresher for a longer duration. Your experience may vary, of course, so don't take this as an endorsement! :D

I'll go mark the peaks I summitted while doping with Monster energy drinks now…

Two asterisks for Double-Shot Carmel Macchiatos...

Three asterisks if I took vitamin supplements that morning.

Bonuses for the hikes I was slightly malnourished and dehydrated on. This is getting interesting! ;)

I echo Stan's sentiments and stay away from "energy" drinks as though they were the plague. Whole foods, low to no processing -been doing it for a month, and my energy levels are much better, naturally, and my appetite is in much better control. Win-win.

Just thought of another situation that arose when someone ingested a decongestant for his "sniffles", and drank an extra large Dunkin Donut coffee. He had already had coffee a few hours earlier. He presented to the ER with hypertension and symptoms of stroke. Otherwise healthy man, middle 30's, never had a problem with his BP prior to this cocktail. Fortunately the damage was reversible and he eventually walked out, shaken, but a little bit wiser.

I am writing this because I really do believe these kinds of drinks are inherently dangerous. This happens too often with no warning. You have couple cups of coffee, take a decongestant for your sinus headache, and the wolf down a 5 hour energy drink. It all adds up and sometimes you would much sooner not be on the receiving end of the consequences.

And keep in mind, that just because you tolerated it previously, does not mean that you will tolerate it indefinitely.

I can still recall being on the summit of Stratton with a heart rate of 180 and had to negotiate my way down with 2 dogs. Fortunately they were off leash. I finally converted out but not for quite some time. It was not the first nor the last time that it happened when I was in the mountains.

Be very cautious. If you need that much stimulant to carry on, perhaps it's time to rethink the reasons why.

Last edited:
Well, 13 deaths over a 4 year period with a "possible connection" - that's an incredibly small number. Many times more people were struck by lightning. And how many lives were saved over that same time period because a drowsy driver kept him/herself from falling asleep at the wheel by consuming 5 Hour Energy?

That said, I have no plans to EVER consume a 5 Hour Energy or any other energy drink. These products fall under the category of "supplements" with the FDA, and as such, the health risks associated with them are largely unknown. To be fair, manufacturers cannot load up their products with ingredients that are known to be toxic; and it's also in their best interest to sell products that are safe - companies that kill people don't last long and aren't usually profitable. BUT, the combination of ingredients in 5 Hour Energy and other supplements has NOT been clinically evaluated by the FDA, so while they appear to be "safe," just how safe they are and in what dosages is completely unknown. I feel that supplements do have a place in society, but folks who consume these supplements should realize that they are participating in a clinical trial. The chances of an adverse reaction are small but real. I personally am not willing to offer up myself as a data point for someone else's profit. Not when there are other products that do the same thing and have a much longer and well-understood clinical history.

Looking at the ingredients for 5 hour energy, it seems likely that most or all of the "energy enhancing" effects of the product are due to the caffeine content. Although it's worth repeating that the combination of other ingredients, though apparently safe individually, has not been evaluated in combination; nor (generally) have they been evaluted in terms of dose-response. Ask yourself if you want to be a data point in a clinical trial. The answer may be "yes," but I believe it's important to understand what you are doing.

Finally, stimulants affect different people in different ways. It's useful to know how you, individually, are affected, but one should also use caution interpreting anecdotal information. As has been said previously, the plural of anecdote does not equal data. At least not reliable data.

Well stated, hikerbrian.

For those athletes that consume gels during endurance running and hiking, many of the same ingredients are present, (sugar, caffeine, aminos, electrolytes, vitamins) in a more condensed form, meant to be taken periodically over the course of an event. I would imagine that these are generally healthier people than the unfortunate cases that are making the headlines now.

Last edited:
The distributor of 5-Hour Energy, Living Essentials of Farmington Hills, Mich., did not respond to written questions about the filings, and its top executive declined to be interviewed

I don't see this as a positive. Where there is smoke.....

I do think caffeine has become the drug de jour. They take it, decaffeinate, from one product and load it into another. It's good for business. No waste.

Ever since Neil told me about chocolate covered coffee beans I been taking them on all my hikes and campouts.

Well, 13 deaths over a 4 year period with a "possible connection" - that's an incredibly small number. Many times more people were struck by lightning. And how many lives were saved over that same time period because a drowsy driver kept him/herself from falling asleep at the wheel by consuming 5 Hour Energy?

That said, I have no plans to EVER consume a 5 Hour Energy or any other energy drink. These products fall under the category of "supplements" with the FDA, and as such, the health risks associated with them are largely unknown. To be fair, manufacturers cannot load up their products with ingredients that are known to be toxic; and it's also in their best interest to sell products that are safe - companies that kill people don't last long and aren't usually profitable. BUT, the combination of ingredients in 5 Hour Energy and other supplements has NOT been clinically evaluated by the FDA, so while they appear to be "safe," just how safe they are and in what dosages is completely unknown. I feel that supplements do have a place in society, but folks who consume these supplements should realize that they are participating in a clinical trial. The chances of an adverse reaction are small but real. I personally am not willing to offer up myself as a data point for someone else's profit. Not when there are other products that do the same thing and have a much longer and well-understood clinical history.

Looking at the ingredients for 5 hour energy, it seems likely that most or all of the "energy enhancing" effects of the product are due to the caffeine content. Although it's worth repeating that the combination of other ingredients, though apparently safe individually, has not been evaluated in combination; nor (generally) have they been evaluted in terms of dose-response. Ask yourself if you want to be a data point in a clinical trial. The answer may be "yes," but I believe it's important to understand what you are doing.

Finally, stimulants affect different people in different ways. It's useful to know how you, individually, are affected, but one should also use caution interpreting anecdotal information. As has been said previously, the plural of anecdote does not equal data. At least not reliable data.

My friends and I have an inside joke that I can fall asleep anywhere. Standing up, driving, literally anywhere if I am tired enough. If the temperature is over 76 in the house I will fall asleep sitting down (at the computer, etc...). So you can count this life as "probably saved by an energy drink". I drink an energy drink on every drive home from hiking. I'd say the benefit is outweighing the risk, considering there are other lives at risk besides mine if I fall asleep at the wheel. Energy drinks are not good for you (no doubt, as you said, the only energy enhancement is the caffiene), but then again neither is a tree in the face at 70mph. :eek:

Last edited:
...Ever since Neil told me about chocolate covered coffee beans I been taking them on all my hikes and campouts.

I've used those for many years for alpine starts, particularly for glacier climbs.

There's a place in Mt Shasta City that sells a type of granola bar loaded with caffeine. I've tried them and they work - not only do you get the caffiene, but you get an early breakfast as well. (It's the health foods store over by Ace Hardware, for those who climb Mt Shasta - just downhill of Black Bear Restaurant in the little shopping center.)

NYT article states, "Federal officials have received reports of 13 deaths over the last four years that cited the possible involvement of 5-Hour Energy".

This line borders on bad journalism.

To reiterate Brian's comment about lightning strikes...many more people are also killed yearly by hot dogs, roller coasters, and football games. Incidentally, I've had 2 hot dogs and 2 roller coaster rides on the same day. But I'm a bit of a daredevil. :rolleyes:

Ironically, I have a Red Bull (energy drink) while I'm posting. I agree with the sentiment that they are probably not so good healthwise, and the heart and BP would be what I think they might affect, but like so many things, it may simply sometimes act as the catalyst that sets off an already weak or damaged heart, so more than one factor is likely involved.

I was drinking a few 5 hr Energy's a week for a while. Honestly, they don't really do much for me, so I stopped wasting my money. I'd often take them at 7 or 8 at night after a full work day and other responsibilities and plan to get a variety of mundane things accomplished. I was often dozing on the couch in under 2 hours. Most of the time, this is how I react to it. The rest (Monster, Red Bull, Amp, etc) so far all have the same effect of maybe 1.5 hours of energy. Then I crash. Never had more than 2 of them in a day and usually it's about 3 a week. I agree with their value when driving after a long hike.

slight drift...

I will try to keep in it perspective though since, although energy drinks may not be healthy, at least they don't have arsenic, like most of the brown rice products many of us have taken for being healthy all these years. The FDA does not set a limit on arsenic in food. I expect this to blow up within a month or so to the next BPA-like scare. :eek: There IS a limit in water....because it's a carcinogen.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine/2012/11/arsenic-in-your-food/index.htm

Last edited:
There's a place in Mt Shasta City that sells a type of granola bar loaded with caffeine. I've tried them and they work - not only do you get the caffiene, but you get an early breakfast as well.

Clif Bar Peanut Toffee Buzz lists its first ingredient as Organic Brown Rice Syrup, Oh joy. The last ingredient is Green Tea Extract (50 mg caffeine)

Having switched years ago to brown rice, the news on arsenic is making me a little sick (no pun intended, but I'll take it)

I think energy drinks taste gross, but then again I don't even like soda. However I became heavily dependent on Mean Bean Vanilla and am two weeks sober from them. It is an expensive habit to say the least and fattening!

I tried the 5 hour shot thing once and thought it tasted like cough syrup and just about blew a lunch, and it didn't do anything.

Love those chocolate covered espresso beans!

"Cracker Jack'D is a product line specifically developed for adult consumers and will not be marketed to children,"

This "jacked" food theme lives on. Have to wonder who they are appealing to.