Fatal moose-car collision on 93 in Sanbornton 10/23 AM

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrewKnight

Reaction score
We passed the scene of a moose-car collision on the way south on 93 this morning. The left lane was closed and a full complement of emergency vehicles was present. We first passed the moose, which was in the median at a crossover; we then passed the rolled-over vehicle about 150 yards south, also in the left median.

WMUR Text and video story

The accident scene report said that the impact of the moose at high speed had done severe damage before the vehicle rolled over, and that the driver, a 31-year old from Bristol, was dead at the scene.

Condolences to Ms. Coffey's family and friends.

For those of us who spend so much time driving up north, you can't help but get a funny feeling of "There but for the grace of something I really don't understand..."

Terrible news. This was a big fear for my wife and I when we were in Newfoundland where there are approximately 120,000 moose.

I recently read that, in Maine, there are typically 700 moose collisions a year with personal injuries in over 20% and an average of 16 deaths per year. The collisions are mostly between April and October.

There are many more deer collisions but they result in far fewer personal injuries.

The trooper (or game warden) they interviewed had it just right... moose have such long legs that their bodies are up at the top of your headlight beams, and you're unlikely to see eyeshine.

Also, I've noticed that, as dark as they are, they unfortunately blend perfectly with the dark underbrush layer between the ground and the higher branches on trees. In Moose Alley on Rt 49, I have taken to watching down low for their white socks, which do show up in the headlights -- though you'd just as easily mistake them for a small animal.

Finally, there's the whole problem of physics: a half-ton animal, four feet up on stilts... when the front bumper hits their legs, it clips them and the body comes over, hard, on the windshield and roof.

Really scary, and in this case, very sad. Be careful out there, friends.

For those of us who spend so much time driving up north, you can't help but get a funny feeling of "There but for the grace of something I really don't understand..."
Amen!

Very sad indeed. My sympathies to her family.

Last edited:
Moose

Years ago on a trip to Baxter I was in Millinocket and inquired about where I could photograph some moose. A guy overheard me and stated. "Aaahhh, you people come up here and you all want to see the moose. If it were up to us we'd exterminate every last one of the overgrown rats." Obviously I didn't want a confrontation with the guy, but I said, "Enlighten me. Why would you want to do that?" His answer was, "These are small towns up here. Everyone knows everybody. I bet you can't find one person anywhere near here who doesn't have a friend or family member that hasn't been hurt or killed by hittin' one while drivin' at night."

As much as I like moose this conversation gave me a different outlook on them. A view from the other side of the coin as it were.

A friend recently told me of a 65-70mph trip across the Kanc he had just taken. I cringe. It seems like every time I cross the Kanc I see a dead moose beside the road.

My point is, please be careful. What a senseless way to die. I feel for this girl's family and friends. So sorry.

KDT

Careful doesn't always cut it, and that IS the scary part.

The last couple of weeks my daily drive has gone back into the pre- Dawn and after-Dark timetable and I have become more and more vigilant, less and less comfortable.

I know from experience that a moose can bolt from one side of a 2 lane road and be in the other travel lane in just a couple of paces at full tilt. They are BIG, and it happens faster IN the experience than you can THINK about it outside of the experience.

I changed the headlight settings on my Toyota Matrix so that I have my fog-lights on whenever I'm not at High Beam, and I'm so happy with it I rarely use high beams anymore. I like the wider light-print and I "feel" I can scan the road shoulders for trouble more effectively. My DH drove the car a few nights ago on a late night errand and came home wondering what was different, he said he was more comfortable driving it, and had a better vision range/ light pattern, than in his Jeep.

For my corrected vision, expanding the light print out to the periferal vision has given me more confidence

Breeze

Thanks for the tip, Breeze. I too am getting more nervous, and not just in the dark. One day last fall we passed two collisions and another moose wandering the median strip on 93 between Ashland and Lincoln, in daylight.

I recently read that, in Maine, there are typically 700 moose collisions a year with personal injuries in over 20% and an average of 16 deaths per year. The collisions are mostly between April and October.

There are many more deer collisions but they result in far fewer personal injuries.

This may be true for the state of Maine, but nationwide, the white-tailed deer is responsible for around 130 human deaths per year, making them "North America's Most Dangerous Mammal (other than man)".

http://www.reason.com/news/show/34914.html

Adam and Jamie (Mythbusters) had a bit on moose collisions, the physics involved, and of course the various associated myths. Of course they made a moose, and the vehicles were towed into it. My point is that you would not believe the damage if you didn't see it for yourself.

Tim

This may be true for the state of Maine, but nationwide, the white-tailed deer is responsible for around 130 human deaths per year, making them "North America's Most Dangerous Mammal (other than man)".

http://www.reason.com/news/show/34914.html

Very good point. Last weekend, driving back from Vermont, we passed two dead deer on the side of the highway both within 2 miles of each other. The second one the vehicle was pulled to the side of the road and in such a state you could not imagine a der did it. A Ford Ranger pickup had the front caved in as if he had hit one of those cement safety pillars like you see at gas stations, etc. But I think it is the sheer dramatic effect of the moose impact that gets peoples attentions

Brian

Years ago on a trip to Baxter I was in Millinocket and inquired about where I could photograph some moose. A guy overheard me and stated. "Aaahhh, you people come up here and you all want to see the moose. If it were up to us we'd exterminate every last one of the overgrown rats." Obviously I didn't want a confrontation with the guy, but I said, "Enlighten me. Why would you want to do that?" His answer was, "These are small towns up here. Everyone knows everybody. I bet you can't find one person anywhere near here who doesn't have a friend or family member that hasn't been hurt or killed by hittin' one while drivin' at night."

As much as I like moose this conversation gave me a different outlook on them. A view from the other side of the coin as it were.

A friend recently told me of a 65-70mph trip across the Kanc he had just taken. I cringe. It seems like every time I cross the Kanc I see a dead moose beside the road.

My point is, please be careful. What a senseless way to die. I feel for this girl's family and friends. So sorry.

KDT

It's good to appreciate another perspective, but..... With that Mainer's logic city people should wipe out all humans since crime is concentrated in population centers. All vehicle operators should also be eliminated.

Personally I'm more than happy to take on the risk and live in prime Moose habitat. Kind of like climbing mountains in dangerous conditions. I just drive with utmost attention and hope for the best.

(Kevin, Judy, Emma- my comment is not meant to be personally directed at your post, just the other side of the coin of the Mainer's perspective).

No offense taken

Believe me. I didn't adopt the Mainer's outlook on moose. I love 'em, but I'd also eat one. I found it interesting to hear his perspective. Kinda' sad that some people think that way, though I can understand where he's coming from, to a point.

I think you may be on to something with the eliminating humans idea. It would rid the world of a lot of problems, not just crime. :)

KDT

hey Andrew

Personally I'm more than happy to take on the risk and live in prime Moose habitat.

That's easy for you to say, you drive a four wheel drive F-250 with a big plow frame in front. If you ever hit a moose you'd be having moose burger all winter.:cool:

Posting at 10 o'clock on a Saturday- you got it waaay too easy up thar.

grog

Not even an F-250 with a full plow frame is going to win that one... 25 years ago, my parents ran a moving business... one of their favorite drivers clobbered a full-grown bull moose in Maine in a cab-over Kenworth tractor pulling a trailer full of household goods. I still can't quite believe that the tractor was totaled (!) and the driver ended up hospitalized and needed full facial reconstructive surgery.

I am in the "acceptable risk" category -- I love seeing moose on a regular basis, but I will admit that Thursday morning was very sobering for me.

You got that right Grog. All I bother to do now is think and talk about Moose. Actually had a leisurely breakfast (worse-brunch!) with Lindsay at the Water Wheel on a weekend day.

I remember an old story from Maine about a rutting bull who stomped the cab of a full size pick up to the point that the driver was cowering in the foot well below the seat. Never knew if it was true, but I always believed it.

My sympathies to the family and friends of this individual.

This is why I keep my speed down and drive very cautiously when on RT 3 in Pittsburg, especially in the area between 2nd and 3rd CT Lakes. I've seen some BIG ones up there.

Not quite the same, but I almost hit a deer here in Los Angeles just off of Sunset Blvd. coming down the hill from a local park. Three of them ran right out in front of me in broad daylight. I was in a small car and if I'd hit one, I'd have probably pitched off the road down the hill and rolled over. Hard to believe. Luckily I jumped on the brakes and wasn't going all that fast to begin with. I can't even imagine hitting a moose. What do those things weigh? Like a grand?

I can see why people get killed. I have an SUV now, but in my old Mitsubishi 3000GT, a moose would go right through the windshield. Yikes.