Favorite handsaw.

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pete_Hickey said:
Sometimes you get something that is the opposite. A whole crew can simultaneously work on it.

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/trailwork2005/may14/tw1.jpg

Very efficient use of a crew whan that happens.
As long as they don't drop a log on someone else's foot...

A crew might have been nice, but my partner had gone ahead to paint blazes and had left me to deal with the tree. But, as noted, it was kind of fun. (As long as I didn't have to do too many of them... :) ) Wish I had pics of before (the debris across the trail was 10ft high) and after, but the best I have is a pic of the remains from a later trip. The cut in the foreground is ~10in (done with 2-person saw--everything else was done with a Sven saw).

Doug

Last edited:
darren said:
Anyone know if there are stores in Eastern Mass that sell the Sven saws?

The REI website lists the saws, but anyone know if the Framingham or Reading stores have them? Or maybe some kind of garden store south of Boston?
REI Reading has the 15incher in stock (or did on Friday). No 21incher.

Doug

All I know is that if my saw can't cut it (see my previous post), I ain't cuttin it!!! (8-10" with two people takes a couple minutes :) )

DougPaul said:
A crew might have been nice
One works differently with a crew. A team can move larger hunks out of the way easier. When working alone, more cuts are needed. Sometime, when there are a lot, and not enough people, a single cut, letting it drop so that it's easier to stepover, is sufficient.

DP said:
But, as noted, it was kind of fun. (As long as I didn't have to do too many of them... :) )
Or as long as the weather is decent. Try it in snow, changing to rain, changing to snow.

DP said:
Wish I had pics of before (the debris across the trail was 10ft high)
I've taken dozens of pictures of that pîled-high stuff, but none of them came out. Perspective is all wrong. I'll blame it on the camera, not the photographer.

I picked up a 10 inch folding Fiskars saw at Home Depot for $14. It only cuts on the pull stroke. That took a bit of getting used to but it keeps the saw from binding. I've only used it on one trip but it seemed to fit the bill quite nicely.

Me like this alot

It's a swedish safety axe. It is good up to 4 - maybe 5 inches. Anything 3 inches or less it cuts throu like butta, if you use it correctly. It packs easy not having to strap it on the outside if you don't wish. Either way it has a leather boot that fits over the blade.

1763_w2.jpg

http://www.forestry-suppliers.com/product_pages/View_Catalog_Page.asp?mi=1763

it's also known as a Sandvik.

Last edited:
misery whip

Okay..nothing to kinko here.... hope no one is to disapointed.....that's an old time name for the big old saws like Pete is holding.

When hiking I carry a small folding saw made by Pro Zig, the blade is about 5" long. I keep it in my front pouch for easy access.
This is has a type of blade that you can sharpen with a file. A lot of pruning saws have a multi tooth arangement that have a tendency to gum up and can't be readily sharpend.
This one has a 3 tooth per inch arrangement. Each tooth is 3/16th of an inch with a large space between each tooth. There is no noticeable kerf to the teeth (kerf is the offset of each tooth from each other)
I started using it back when the big ice storm hit the Northeast and Canada.
The blade hasn't rusted, but I see it's time to clean it up a bit and get some of the pitch off it.

So I'm not out cutting big trees with it but you would be surprised how much you can clear with it. I often use it to cut off the broken branches that can poke you in the eyes, gouge your leg, and generally shred you as you try to step over, crawl under, around and through the tangle branches that block the way.
Many times people just break off a branch or two leaving a jagged edge which may be well intentioned but pretty dangerous esp if at eye level.
Sometimes "eye level" varies with the snow depth or what seems okay on the up hill will be exactly at the wrong height when descending.
Usually in the course of a hike there are few minutes here or there to blunt these rough ends. It's the type of thing that is greatly apprecated though often unnoticed.
It's the injuries we don't get that are part of the pleasures of being "on trail".
happy hiking

Last edited: