Footwear of choice for spring hikes in the snow

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marty

Reaction score
Hi all,

I always seem to have a dilemma on what footwear to wear on early/mid spring hikes. Such hikes typically feature:
1. Temps exceeding 50 degrees, at least down below
2. Bare ground or patchy snow down below
3. Deep snow up higher, with definite posthole possibilities. Snowshoes often required
4. Mud and difficult stream crossings are a possibility, depending on the hike

When these conditions are expected, I debate on whether to wear insulated snow boots where my feet could get really hot down below, or high top hiking boots where my feet get cold up high. So, what do you wear?

Thanks,
Marty

I wear my old beat-up hiking boots from last year (two words: mud season) and warm wool socks (because my feet will get wet). I also pack TWO extra pairs of socks and I use them.

Finally, I carry a pair of microspikes in my pack, just in case.

- Monadnock Volunteer (aka Steve)

I'm with MonadnockVol: I wear old almost-time-to-replace boots - even if they're leaky - and bring along a couple changes of socks.

-vegematic

Everything! I have used my winter boots in the catskills when I knew there was going to be 6-10inches of gushy melting snow, and I have also used my 3-season montrails when I didn't know better with gaitors....

However, having said that, my winter mtn'ring boots aren't as insulated as say a double plastic and they are leather mtn'ring boots so I didn't get too hot either.

Jay

Same boots I wear all winter: Salomon leather climbing boots that are uninsulated. They were sold as an approach shoe that is fully step-in crampon compatible.

I only switch to my summer hikers where there is no snow.

I carry one of those scrub brushes you can get for a buck from the dollar store, and always brush my boots off after a hike. It looks a bit anal, but it only takes a few seconds and it sure makes your boots last longer. When mud dries on the boot, it pulls out some of the oils. This is particularly true when hiking in the ADKs because they're more muddy in general.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you buy throw-away boots, but I prefer leather boots that get resoled several times - they take longer to break in, but are more comfortable (for me) over the years and end up being a better investment. Keeping the uppers in good shape is important.

I wear the same boot in spring that I'll wear later in summer.

Kevin Rooney said:
I carry one of those scrub brushes you can get for a buck from the dollar store, and always brush my boots off after a hike. It looks a bit anal, but it only takes a few seconds and it sure makes your boots last longer. When mud dries on the boot, it pulls out some of the oils. This is particularly true when hiking in the ADKs because they're more muddy in general.

I suppose it doesn't matter if you buy throw-away boots, but I prefer leather boots that get resoled several times - they take longer to break in, but are more comfortable (for me) over the years and end up being a better investment. Keeping the uppers in good shape is important.

I wear the same boot in spring that I'll wear later in summer.

Do you or anyone else wear Limmers?

I know lots of people LOVE their Limmers. I have yet to be able to wear mine on hikes with elevation (i.e.- MOST HIKES) after a full season of trying to break them in. My heels rub raw as soon as I start going up. It really ruined a large part of last year for me. Yes, I've been back to Limmer. They tried a few things but basically said to break them in more and more gradually.
I don't have that kind of time, being on the shorter end of the "available hiking life" scale.
Ended up buying new Montrails and they were great right out of the box. So unless somebody is interested in a pair of size 9 wide Limmers, they're going to be relegated to a few flat hikes a year. :(

Last edited:
Paradox said:
No, but a comparable model - Raichle Palue SA's - leather-lined, Norwegian welt, full-steel shank. Built to last.

I wore Limmer lightweights for a long time but they never fit my feet that well(size 9 4EEE). After about 3 years I ordered a pair of custom Limmers - had looked at Esattos but liked the fitting efforts Peter Limmer goes through.

While waiting 4 years for my boots to be made, I continued to wear my lightweights - which caused all sorts of discomfort after 12-15 miles of hiking. In the Spring of 2006 I had to abort a week on the AT in Pennsylvania after 4 days, 16 blisters and two broken toenails.

That Summer my customs were finally ready and I was able to break them in in time for a week in the Great Smokies in March 2007. I got no blisters on that trip or my week on the CDT later in the summer. They are wikkid heavy compared to some boots, but on the rocks of the Whites and being able to walk in bliss makes the weight and the expense really worth it.

A friend got his customs at the same time as me but he has ended up not wearing them all that much. He has had the same experience as peakn with Montrails. He hiked 600 miles on the AT until one pair fell apart, both another pair in North Conway and finished the AT in them.

I'm on the downward curve of hiking - all the more reason to be comfortable.

I've had a pair of Limmer Lightweights that I got barely-used on eBay for $50 in 2005 (probably my best eBay win so far). They were so awesome, I put myself on the custom boots list (~$650 currently). My name came up last month and the new ones should be ready soon. Even with a near-miss fit, the Lightweights have been fantastic and better than anything else I've tried. I have a high arch, a narrow heel & a wide ball, arthritis & fasciitis, and inserts & drugs. With the boots, I can hike all day. Without 'em, I've got about two hours.

They've been from Franconia Notch to Dolly Copp; done about half the 48; a third of the 46; and Half-Dome, out west. I hope to have 'em for another 20 years.

I'll break the new ones in over several months of dog-walking and a half-dozen hikes (with the older ones carried in reserve). Once the new ones are ready to go, the old ones will be ready for a resole. I also wear their Oxfords for daily use. The boots are indeed heavy, but I just add ankle weights for dog-walking and try to beef up even more. [I know I sound a little too excited, but solving foot pain has been a big deal!]

And this is what I'd wear for mud season, as I pretty much have done for all other seasons, excepting skiing.

Good luck; I know everyone's story is different.

--M.

Paradox said:

Yep -- Standards. I like them but not as much as the Raichle Eigers that preceded them. Which I liked but not as much as the Pivetta 8s that preceded those. I'd buy a pair of Light-Weights if I didn't already have a stable full of footwear. Tried the Mid-Weights and they didn't fit me.

My wife wears Ultra-Lights and loves them.

I have been wearing a cheap "throw-away" pair of Cabela's ($60?) the past month, and also during the past winter if temperatures were above single digits. We waded across the stream crossings in snowshoes up and down Carrigain yesterday; the water level was half way up our calves, but my boots fit tightly enough so that there is not much sloshing around when they take on water. And, of course, temperatures even on the summits are now well above freezing.

I'm back to wearing my LLBean Leather Cresta boots. If I think the snow or mud is going to be very excessive I will also wear my gaiters. I know I won't need to do any frontpointing so my winter climbing boots are put away until next October - unless I find a way to get out west this summer!

Woody

If I'm confident the temperature will stay above freezing I switch to my summer footwear: "water shoes" (sort of intermediate between sneakers and sandals). Plus wool socks to keep my feet warm in the snow (with spare dry socks if I'm camping). Snowshoes or crampons fit over them just fine if needed.

I wear my Asolo Styngers, which is what I wore all winter. I wear a coolmax based sock in the warmer areas and then bring my alpaca wool socks for when the temps drop. Once the weather really cranks then I'll likely switch to my LLBean trail runners (they were only made for a year) for just about everything.

I wear lace-up rubber boots, they are hard to come by these days but I'm on the last of 4 pairs I bought at a closeout sale years ago for $7 each. When new you can wade several inches of water and stay dry and the chain tread is good on snow/mud.

RoySwkr said:
I wear lace-up rubber boots, they are hard to come by these days but I'm on the last of 4 pairs I bought at a closeout sale years ago for $7 each. When new you can wade several inches of water and stay dry and the chain tread is good on snow/mud.

Yeah, what he said. They can have mine when they pry them from my cold, dead feet.