FTFC's "Lone Canine"

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
yes, a few times my dog couldn't get through the snow so she'd let me go first. However, postholing generally isn't that bad, as the hole is small (a few inches) and usually the weight isn't much (60-80 lbs for a lab). Now, Brutus on the otherhand probably weighs much more than that. But, still, dogs don't usually cause the damage that a human foot can.

So many good points, where to start...

Postholing: generally if I've broken a trail on snowshoes, if Dugan follows it's packed enough that he doesn't post hole (he's 5 lbs. heavier than me).

Getting the peak and turning back: on out-and-back hikes that Dugan is familiar with he knows and will protest if we turn back early. He, like Brutus, also seems to protest turning back if we haven't reached a peak. I attribute this to that he's hiked enough mountains that he expects to reach a high point before turning back, rather than a desire for peak bagging.

Bleeding claws (I'm guessing you meant damage to feet in general since claws themselves will bleed only if the nail is cut or broken to expose the quick): an example of bad handling - always carry booties, make sure your dog will use them, and use them if necessary.

And as for "being like children"... In bygone days when I was heavily involved in the dog world I saw people having trouble because they thought of their dogs as little humans in fur suits. They are not children. They are not human. They are something better and worse and utterly different... dogs!

MichaelJ said:
How do those folks who take their dogs along on midwinter hikes keep their pups from postholing all the way up the trail
dogs do a lot better on the snow than many other four legged animals - dogs have no trouble runnung down deer in the snow (as do coyotes) deer almost always break through the crust or sink when it is deep - - - my lab runs up ahead when the snow will hold her but when it is thin crusted or deep she has the sense to stay behind in my snowshoe tracks (i do not take her hiking since i am usually out all day, but i do have a place upstate where she runs around and swims...).

Last edited:
Excellent responses on my postholing question - I had no idea it was so little of an issue. :)

mixed up pup

If we mixed the ice axe thread with a snowshoe thread and added a dash of cainine humor ...
it might be fun if someone could make a composite picture of a ....Ice axe... snowshoed...goggled eyed, tail waggin... puppy upper ..type dog that would bring a smile for all to see..

Happy thanksgiving !

cbcbd said:
In the end I think dog owners just want to showcase their canine friends, who are really like their children.

If they could, I'm sure they'd put "My dog is an honor role student at the Canine Academy" bumperstickers on their car... or better "The dog inside this car climbed Mt Washington" :D
This is a case with a lot of dog owners. These pets are our children. BTW, my wife has the following bumper sticker on her car: "My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Smitty

One problem with hiking with dogs not yet mentioned - the dog doesn't know how far the hike is and can't pace himself. If he runs back and forth a lot at the beginning he may be tired by the end of a long hike, while if he doesn't and the hike is short he won't get his exercise.

Kevin Rooney said:
2) Applying for certificates & badges - while the FTFC and 46er's may think they've awarded only X certficates of completion to dogs, it's a pretty good bet that more have been awarded, albeit under false pretenses.
The FTFC at one time did not officially award certificates to dogs, I believe that changed when Dick Stevens became chairman. Hence there are probably both unrecognized dogs and fake people from that era.

The American Alpine Club does not grant membership to dogs and requires a certain number of technical ascents for people. I read an article once where somebody submitted his dog under a bogus name and the secretary rejected it because he figured nobody could have done that many first ascents in Alaska without him having heard of the person. But the ascents were genuine, just not made by a person.

RoySwkr said:
The American Alpine Club does not grant membership to dogs and requires a certain number of technical ascents for people. I read an article once where somebody submitted his dog under a bogus name and the secretary rejected it because he figured nobody could have done that many first ascents in Alaska without him having heard of the person. But the ascents were genuine, just not made by a person.
Bill Putnam and Pinkham.

IIRC, Pinkham was accepted until someone recalled his species...

Doug

RoySwkr said:
One problem with hiking with dogs not yet mentioned - the dog doesn't know how far the hike is and can't pace himself. If he runs back and forth a lot at the beginning he may be tired by the end of a long hike, while if he doesn't and the hike is short he won't get his exercise.

This is typically not true with the dogs I've had. While I certainly can't explain that a hike is x miles over y terrain, I think the dog deduces some of that from my behavior, where we are, and the gear I'm carrying.

My current dog knows the difference between a leisurely "scratch-n-sniff" walk, a trail run, and a hike. I know this because his behavior varies for each. He'll run about on a leisurely dog walk but quickly settles into a brisk working trot near me on a trail run.

He can pace himself too. If he's tired, he'll sit or lay down. If he's very tired or too warm he'll lay down and protest strongly getting up.

It's a matter of providing consistent signals to your dog, and learning how to understand the body language of your dog. For instance, if I wear trail runners on a plain old dog walk, Dugan four-legs tries to do his trail running behaviors instead of leisurely walk behaviors.

BTW, my wife has the following bumper sticker on her car: "My dog is smarter than your honor student."

Heh heh...mine says "doG is my copilot"

As for canine endurance; training and conditioning and learning as much as one can about nutrition, structure, and canine physiology is crucial for any canine/human athletic team. There are many sports that dogs and thier humans compete in and many sources of information out there.

Most sled dogs do dry land training for part of the year, in the form of carting or dog trekking. I've done 150 mile backpack trips with my dogs over the years with zero overuse injuries to the dogs. It takes time, planning, excellent nutrition and physical conditioning; and most importantly; TRAINING. Training for long distance or even day hikes with a dog is a great way to spend time with ones dog, build your dogs trust and confidence in you. On the flip side, not putting some effort into all of the above is a great way to break down your dogs trust in you!

RoySwkr said:

I never ran into this problem with my shepherd. Like Dugan, I think the dog figured out what we were doing from my behavior, where we were, and the gear I carried. Of course, we started small and worked our way up to longer hikes. But he definitely knew he difference between a walk in the woods and a hike.

Smitty77 said:
BTW, my wife has the following bumper sticker on her car: "My dog is smarter than your honor student."

That is a great bumper sticker! Where did your wife find it???