Glenn Boulder to Isolation

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

onrhodes

Reaction score
a few of us are headed to Isolation from Glenn Boulder in 2 weeks. I was wondering if anyone can give me some tips, description, etc of the route and anything interesting we might want to know.
I'm not concerned with the additional elevation gain, but just wondering what others have thought of this route.

Thanks,
-Pete

If you have more than one car I would suggest that you park one at the Rocky Branch Trailhead just in case you do not want to climb back up to the Glen Boulder Trail and would like to exit the much easier Rocky Branch Trail. At the end of the day, you will be happy that you have that option. Other than that, it is a fun hike no matter which way you go.

Excellent advice from MadRiver. Going to Isolation via Glen Boulder is a great route, but ... may seem a bit daunting if you choose to return the same way.

I liked the route. Lots of time above treeline. Make sure you carry enough water - there's a stream at the bottom of GB trail, after that I found nothing until a spot on Davis Path a little south of the Isolation spur (could also descend to Rocky Branch if you needed to).
While you're up there, plan to visit the summit of Davis, the views are even better than from Isolation.

A reasonable route.

Another option is via Ammo Ravine and Camel Trs. A bit longer, but more above T-line time. Has the advantage that you can get water at Lakes.

Doug

If you don't mind a long car-spot and a hike exceeding 18 miles, I recommend that you follow the Davis Path right down to its Crawford Notch trailhead, with short detours to the summits of Davis and Stairs, as well as Isolation. (If you have time and haven't been there recently, the spur path to the summit of Crawford would add just .6 mile.)

I don't know how to attach a link to a Trip Report on this site, as when I try, it's always just to the home page. SteveHiker's account of our traversal of that route last July, without pictures and replies that you can find in the original, follows:

"Soft Corinthian Leather

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok, that got your attention didn't it?

On Saturday, Amicus, Damon, Rocksnrolls and I did a traverse of the Montalban Ridge.

Despite getting pulled over just south of Plymouth around 6, I still managed to pull into the Davis Path lot just after the appointed time of 7 am. The others were already there. So we were shortly off in Mike's minivan to Glen Boulder, hitting the trail just before 8.

I'm actually glad that I postponed this hike from 2 weeks ago. The weather was so much better this day. Although the near instantaneous steepness of the Glen Boulder trail combined with the high humidity really did a number on me for the first couple of miles. We made decent time up to treeline and got up close with the trail's namesake. I was surprised at how little is holding that thing in place. It's more than Bubble Rock in Acadia, but still I wonder how much longer it has.

From there we made our way to the Davis Path junction. Here, I decided to take a break, clean up my bloody knee and catch my breath while the others ascended the rest of the way up Boott Spur. None of them had been up there before. I would have liked to have gone again, but I figure the view isn't much different, and the last time I was there was on an even clearer day than this, so I wasn't missing out on much. I tried to sell their backpacks to a passer-by, but he wasn't interested. Too much to carry to his destination of Clay, I guess.

Once we rejoined, we headed down the Davis Path towards Isolation, the main objective of the hike. At least for me, as 2 years ago when I last vistited, it was too cloudy to see much of anything, and I keep hearing about the splendid view. I'm guessing it was a main objective for Ron as well as it was number 30 of 48 for him (congratulations). I really liked the above treeline section of the trail with the cairns and tall grasses. I reminded me a little of the top of Moosilaukee or the Table Lands on Katahdin. Soon we plunged into the trees and were up and down over North Isolation. As we passed where the Rocky Branch route intersects, we were greeted with the usual mud. This part I had been on before. It was muddy, but less so than I remember from last time.

Lo and behold, there is a sign for the Isolation Spur. How long it stays in anyone's guess. We reached the summit, and yes there is a view from of there. And a very nice one at that. Aided by Mike's Scudder Guidebook pages we were able to identify everything we could see. It was somewhat hazy on the horizon, but it sure beats clouds and rain. At this point, Ron switched from boots to sandals and we headed towards Mt Davis, where none of us had ever been before. (Unless Damon had, I can't remember, it seems like from his stories he's been everywhere, mostly in the same day. Wink )

The spur to Mt Davis was shorter than we expected and perhaps a little steeper as well. Despite the haze having thickened a bit, it is arguable that the view is superior to that on Isolation. Here we did come upon a small quandary. To the north was another balding knob very similar to the one we were standing on. From my vantage point it appeared to be the same height or lower. Unable to find a way over there, we concluded we were in the right spot and no one wanted to bushwhack. So off we went.

The section between Davis and Stairs begins as a nice flat woods walk, but soon begins to seem interminable. Somwhere in between in a boggy area, there was a large patch of poison ivy. I seem to have come thru unscathed, hopefully the others did too. At about the half-way point to Stairs, Damon was a minute or two (or more) ahead of me. I could hear that he had stopped and was talking to someone. As I came around the corner, I could see who it was: Hikerfast, who had started up from the other direction and hung out near Resolution for a couple hours before cruising up to meet us. Unfortunately he was Scotch-less. I'm not a big fan of Scotch, but it probably couldn't have hurt at that point.

The group, now numbering 5, made our way to Stairs. A much flatter, although seemingly longer spur path took us to a ledge with yet another fine view. We stayed for a few minutes enjoying the breeze and then headed out again, as everyone was running low on water. Next comes the part I don't quite get. The Path must have had a major re-route at sometime in the last 150 years or I don't see how a horse could have gotten up from Stairs Col to Stairs. I'm glad I was going down it at this point. We got to the spur for Resolution Shelter, where Damon was planning on making use of his filter, but then decided the shelter was too far down the hill, so off we went again. Damon struck far out in front, and the rest of us stopped for a few minutes on Crawford Dome. At this point, we were running very low on water. We caught back up to Damon at the Crawford Spur, which we all decided to bypass and headed down. At this point in the day, the last 2 miles seemed a lot longer than I recall from thsi spring, but at least the enormous blowdown has been dealt with.

As we left the Dry River Wilderness area, I finally saw the benefit of changing into sandals as Ron dipped his feet in every little brook on the way out. I was just a bit envious, and was definitely looking forward to gettting those boots off. Mike and I were the last back to the cars shortly after 8. Mountain Magic was there to greet us.

After taking Mike to fetch his car, I headed home, getting there just before midnight (yeah I drove slower what with the warning earlier in the day and all). A long day, but a memorable one. Not the usual day hike, that's for sure. I'll have to check out the map and cook up another one sometime soon, providing I can get as good company next time around."

nartreb said:
Make sure you carry enough water - there's a stream at the bottom of GB trail, after that I found nothing until a spot on Davis Path a little south of the Isolation spur

Once you hike above the “boulder” and enter some short scrubs mid-way up there is a small opening on your right. Follow the herd path for about 20 yards and there is a spring.

great choice

great route good advice to spot car and go out long route back out. you will be happier with that choice in the long run. allow for plenty of time no matter how fast you are. need to enjoy all the views at the top of the presidentials if your weather is nice :)

I agree that the Glen Boulder Trail is a fine approach to Isolation. In fact, even out and back via that route is less elevation gain than out and back via the Rocky Branch and Isolation Trails. To counter the elevation savings by hiking out via the RM and Isolation trails, I think that the latter two trails are some of the ugliest mud slogging in the Whites, on a par with the upper Lincoln Brook Trail. I also agree that the Ammi approach (wth water fill up at Lakes hut) and the full Davis Path (now that it is getting better maintenance) are excellent options.

Great hike,

I did the same route last July. I took a detour and went up to Boot Spur to get a shot of Mt. Washington. It was worth the extra mile or so.

web_9310.jpg

More pix from the trip here.

Thanks for all the information. I'm definitely not worried about the elevation. I'm more then "reasonably" fit and bike only about 6,000 miles a year. :) My average hiking pace is in the 2+ mph range.
The car spot sounds fun, but I doubt it is going to happen. We're going up with some other friends who are doing Glenn Boulder and maybe Butt Spur. I may give one of them my keys and have them dump my car at Rocky Branch. We'll see what the weather is like. I like doing the loops, but this out and back sounds like a lot of fun.

This is an old topic, a search will get you lots more info. Going over Glen Boulder requires better weather.

I went in via Glen Boulder and out via Rocky Branch. It was a little strange to bag a 4000-footer by climbing to 5300' and descending to it, but what the hell. Also, I thought the views from Iso were nice enough, but a bit anticlimactic after the superb views on the upper part of Davis Path. If you go in by Rocky Branch, you will have virtually no views until you arrive at the Iso summit.

Stay alert when you think you may be getting close to Iso. It's a not very well marked side path off the Davis Path that's easy to blow by. As I recall, you have to step up some rocks to get onto it.

On my way out via Isolation and Rocky Branch Trails, I had trouble following the Iso trail in one mossy spot and had to cast about for it.

Good luck with the weather.