Gloves for When It's 35 Degrees and Raining?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roadtripper

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

Does anybody have a recommendation for a pair of gloves that are perfect for these sorts of conditions? I have a few pairs of "Goretex" gloves, but after about an hour of rain they always become VERY saturated (i.e. useless).

I'm thinking that some sort of neoprene-based glove might be best? (similiar to what a surfer would use I'm thinking). Am I way off?

How do you keep your hands warm in cold, heavy & sustained rain?

roadtripper said:
Hey Everyone,

Does anybody have a recommendation for a pair of gloves that are perfect for these sorts of conditions? I have a few pairs of "Goretex" gloves, but after about an hour of rain they always become VERY saturated (i.e. useless).

I'm thinking that some sort of neoprene-based glove might be best? (similiar to what a surfer would use I'm thinking). Am I way off?

That's a tough one. Yes, the neoprene glove would work - for a time - but your hands sweat alot, even when it's cold. So, it's either the rain from without or the sweat from within.

If you go the neoprene route you might try them with glove liners, and bring more than one pair so you can swap them out.

And it goes without saying that the conditions you describe are probably the trickiest in terms of hypothermia?
;)

roadtripper said:
Keep moving, keep well fueled, keep yourself protected from the wind. In 35 degrees and raining you will be soaked and on the edge, not much you can do about that IMO. I keep several pairs of gloves/mitts and change them as needed.

David Metsky said:
Keep moving, keep well fueled, keep yourself protected from the wind. In 35 degrees and raining you will be soaked and on the edge, not much you can do about that IMO. I keep several pairs of gloves/mitts and change them as needed.
ditto - I always feel funny carrying 2-3 pairs of gloves and hats, but you really need to have warm and dry backups if you get soaked and the day continues to deteriorate...I have written a number of times that I am not a big fan of Gore Tex - in theory it is great, but it just cannot keep up in a lot of situations.

Make sure you minimize heat loss through your head and back of your neck. Remember rule #1 of Nordic Skiing: If your hands or feet are cold, put on a (warmer) hat.

While not really windproof, wool tends to keep some insulating value even when wet.

I have had rather poor results skiing/cycling with neoprene anything, except for booties over my shoes. Gloves - not warm. Jacket, TOO WARM, not breathable. Booties--good, for some reason.

I raced Jiminy Peak (bike race) one year in the rain (that's redundant, if you've raced you know that) when it was in the low 40s, and I have never been so cold, miserable, and close to hypothermia before or since.

Tim

roadtripper said:
Gloves for When It's 35 Degrees and Raining?
Driving gloves to get ye to the nearest pub, you shouldn't be hiking that day !

Barring that; wool hat, wool gloves, wool sweater and wool socks under a Precip jacket and pants and shell gloves. I have a pair of work-glove type leather mittens I can waterproof with sno-seal and wear over wool mittens.

roadtripper said:
Hey Everyone,

I wear a cheap pair of Marmot windproof shells all winter. Even wet they're not too bad. If my hands start getting cold, I put a pair of wool liners underneath or swap them with something warmer and drier. Then I put the wet gloves down my pants. Body heat will usually warm them up and dry them some. On those types of days I usually crack open a pair of hand warmers for when the going gets rough. Worst comes to worst, I drop them in a pair of mittens and put those on when my hands get really cold.

35 and sustained rain -- those are the only types of days where I'll just avoid the hike and go shoot heroin in the back of my shed instead.

-Dr. Wu

Something I've tried at work (tho I try to avoid working in such weather).

1) skin-tight waterproof liner glove (latex or Poly), like you can get at home improvement stores for painting.
2) insulating middle layer/regular glove.
3) outer waterproof shell.

Your hands will be moist, and a little glove-smelly when you take them off, but your insulation layer will stay dry, keeping your hands relatively warm. With a good fit, you can maintain dexterity and keep the rain off your skin during those times you have to pull off the outer 2 layers. Just shake off the raindrops before putting them back on.

Kinda like vapor barrier, but you should bring extra PE/latex. Unpowdered and unlined are best.
[And, if anybody needs an emergency cavity-search, you're set ! =^O]

MR

I use rubber gloves that are lined with cheap fleece or open cell foam. They are readily availiable at any commercial fishermans supply, and some farm and garden stores, cost about 8-10 dollars, and can be found in very large sizes. Cloth lined rubber gloves are avail. at the fishermans store for about 40 dollars--- for a dozen pair!

Good luck!

dry hands are warm hands

Dry hands are warm hands. I live by this all winter. I ski over 50 days per winter so I get to ski in the rain a lot. I "invested" ($8) in a pair of oil delivery gloves about 10 years ago. They're cloth lined rubber, sounds like the fisherman gloves. I wear glove liners underneath if the digits get too chilly. I swear by these. I've become a rubber glove evangelist at my ski area. You'll know me by the orange rubber gloves on a rainy day. There aren't too many of us out then so I'm easy to spot.

JOD

I'm quite pleased with 2 pairs that I got on clearance at EMS a few years ago. I was lamenting the wet/cold hands to another hiker who is an experienced boater. I'd heard another suggest neoprene. My friend; however, suggested the alternatives that I got, which are schoeller cloth. One pair has a large, flared wrist (ideal for tucking a coat into), the other has a close fitting wrist than can be snugged down. My hands may feel wet, but they haven't been cold again since.

I use a polypro glove liner and an OR waterproof overmitt - which is also my choice of handwear when skiing on warmish days and faceplanting in mush. I always carry 3 extra pairs of gloves on days like that to swap into when stopping for any length of time.