Hanging your food

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KMartman said:
Dont know if this is the one you're referring to, but it states it needs a coin to be opened..

http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/s...6&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1

M
Cute comment in the description. They should have added, "unless the bear has opposable thumbs"

Truly amazing about the cubs dive-bombing the food bags...I wonder how the parents explain to the cubs just what they want them to do....Maybe they draw a series of stick pictures on the ground or perhaps they mime it out.

Neil said:
Cute comment in the description. They should have added, "unless the bear has opposable thumbs"

Truly amazing about the cubs dive-bombing the food bags...I wonder how the parents explain to the cubs just what they want them to do....Maybe they draw a series of stick pictures on the ground or perhaps they mime it out.

That is interesting...theres certianly some sort of communicating going on because they don't just figure it out..

Thought that canister was pretty well priced too..don't know anything of its integrity, but...

M

I would say most don't know how - and you know what - most of time, my hangs are usually flawed too - they are never 100% textbook hangs. - esp when camping higher and trees get shorter and more scarce. I do the best I can with what I got. I try and get the bag high (over 15 feet) and as far away from the trunk as possible.

I think the thread starter here is a little dramatic, but he/she has a good point. If that bag was a decent amount of distance from the tent - I think its safe to assume nobody's life was endangered. I thinks its safe to say most people camping in the NE don't hang properly and most people don't get attacked

Neil said:
A bear has also been observed climbing on another's back to get at the low hanging "fruit".

Doug

DougPaul said:
A bear has also been observed climbing on another's back to get at the low hanging "fruit".

Doug

Any we think humans are the smartest...Ha.....talk about ingenuity...I love animals...

M

giggy said:
...I think the thread starter here is a little dramatic, but he/she has a good point. If that bag was a decent amount of distance from the tent - I think its safe to assume nobody's life was endangered. I thinks its safe to say most people camping in the NE don't hang properly and most people don't get attacked

Wow, I've been called many things, but I've never been called 'dramatic' before! Perhaps I have some future career options I didn't realize :)

No drama here, just a heads up about hanging food properly. And I'm certainly no expert at it. But it sounds like you make the effort to do it right, which is a far cry from what's shown in the picture.

And also, we don't want to give the bear an easy meal, because then he starts to think "humans in the area = easy food to be had". This is bad for us and the bear.

Take care.

Sincerely,
He/She :D

giggy said:
If that bag was a decent amount of distance from the tent - I think its safe to assume nobody's life was endangered. I thinks its safe to say most people camping in the NE don't hang properly and most people don't get attacked

I think so too.

Actually, I worry more about the food that may be laying around the ground that I don't know about. Maybe someone spilled a pot of chili on the ground the previous night and I just set up my tent over the spot.

What about all the people who cook near their tents? The aromas will attract bears right to your campsite.

I still have my little bear bell that I bought in Yellowstone in 1974, when I first went backpacking in grizzly country. Back then, the rangers recommended cooking about 1/4 mile from the tent and hanging food 1/4 mile away from both the tent and cooking areas. I don't think people in the Northeast bother with these precautions. Actually, when I camped at Imp campsite a few years ago, the caretaker said there were no bears around and recommended just hanging food as shown in the original picture. :eek:

jfb said:
I think so too.

Actually, I worry more about the food that may be laying around the ground that I don't know about. Maybe someone spilled a pot of chili on the ground the previous night and I just set up my tent over the spot.

What about all the people who cook near their tents? The aromas will attract bears right to your campsite.

I still have my little bear bell that I bought in Yellowstone in 1974, when I first went backpacking in grizzly country. Back then, the rangers recommended cooking about 1/4 mile from the tent and hanging food 1/4 mile away from both the tent and cooking areas. I don't think people in the Northeast bother with these precautions. Actually, when I camped at Imp campsite a few years ago, the caretaker said there were no bears around and recommended just hanging food as shown in the original picture. :eek:

Wow a ranger said that? Thats interesting......do you know if this was a "new" inexperienced ranger ??

M

KMartman said:
Wow a ranger said that? Thats interesting......do you know if this was a "new" inexperienced ranger ??

M

I don't remember exactly who or if it was just written in one of those small brochures they hand out, but I do remember spending about a half-hour ringing all the bells in the gift shop at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone until we found the one that sounded "just right."

jfb said:
I don't remember exactly who or if it was just written in one of those small brochures they hand out, but I do remember spending about a half-hour ringing all the bells in the gift shop at the Grand Canyon of the Yellowstone until we found the one that sounded "just right."

LOUD..was the key there...HA....I might pick one up tonight at the local hiking shop....I dont have one and will be in what ive been told is "bear" country.. in jersey

M

Smarter than the average bear!

Here is an official posting for approved bear canisters in the High Sierra.

Sierra Approved Bear Canisters

Most interesting to note however, is this special issued statement!

BearVault 110b, 200, BV250 and BV300
Visit www.bearvault.com for product details and contact information or call Tel / Fax 866-301-3442
June 3, 2006 -- The Bear Vault containers listed above are not allowed in the Rae Lakes area of Kings Canyon National Park until further notice. Check out the Rae Lakes Canister Swap Program, for info on how you can swap out your old Bear Vault for a newer. One or more bears have figured out how to open the BearVault in this area- and have opened at least eight canisters. It may be only the earlier version that is the problem - the SIBBG and the manufacturer are looking into the problem. In the meantime, we are asking hikers to either use a different type of canister or use a locker.

I have visited and camped the Rea Lakes area along the John Muir Trail. It is quite popular destination with many sequoia trees to hang food, but no longer allowed.
Now the canisters are getting compromised! :eek:

Imp

Last time I was at Imp Campsite there was a large steel bear box for camper food and other smelly items. The caretaker was pretty firm about using it. Unless there is a steel bear box around I do try to hang my food bag about 15 feet high and more than 6 feet away from the tree trunk. I have had to be pretty creative at times. I am going to get a bear vault.

Woody

I guess it's tough being one step ahead of the bears. We were talking to the caretaker at 13 Falls last weekend and she mentioned that a bear had taken one of the bearboxes and dragged it down to the brook, a couple of hundred rocky feet. I would loved to have seen that in progress. They're now cabled to a tree, so if you spot a bear with bolt cutters you'll know what's up ! :)

Dave

lattinhill said:
I guess it's tough being one step ahead of the bears. We were talking to the caretaker at 13 Falls last weekend and she mentioned that a bear had taken one of the bearboxes and dragged it down to the brook, a couple of hundred rocky feet. I would loved to have seen that in progress. They're now cabled to a tree, so if you spot a bear with bolt cutters you'll know what's up ! :)

Dave

Out in Yosemite popular backcountry designated camping areas, the bear boxes are mounted/bolted to a concrete slab for this very reason.
2 snap shakles are used to latch the hinged face closed, but I wonder how long it will be before these are replaced by locking caribeeners!
Scary to see up to 12" wide claw marks on these boxes too!
Rangers tell you to place your food in the box as soon as you take your pack off! And NEVER leave the box open for even more than a minute or so. :eek:

The trailhead parking lot signs are even more intimidating about leaving food, lotion, spent chewing gum, ect. in your car.
Huge fines and warnings to impound your vehicle for a period of time.

Safety,being the main issue,
Get a canister.It's almost idiot-proof.
Worth the weight for the hassel of trying to find that perfect hanging spot.
+ it makes a handy camp seat!
I bet, 9 out of 10 hangs, you're lucky there were no bear around.

Canisters

I'll tell you another use for them. Cooler/fridge/freezer.

Last year, when a bunch of us were at Peggy O's, I brought all kinds of fresh and frozen food. While most people had their dried/noodles/rice etc in the house, I kept my dried foods in the house, the fresh vegetables, spices, and beer, which needed refridgeration, near the wall. Things which needed to be kept frozen were kept in the bear canister, and left on the front porch. It was perfect for that.