Haunted Hikes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hey,

I did the Chocorua loop yesterday. Up the Piper down through Liberty, Hammond, Weetamoo, and back to the Piper. Great Hike BTW. Awesome day. No ghosts, sasquatch, wood devils, UFO, or anything strange to report. Anyway I stopped the general store out in front of the entrance to the trailhead on 16 to get a drink. I walked in and saw the book haunted hikes. So I got it and have already read halfway through it. Great Book Mari. Now I'll have to go bushwhack the Ossipee range in search of the sasquatch. :D

Chris

I just picked up that book at the Mountain Wanderer on Saturday - I was especially pleased to see the Bayle Mountain hike finally published somewhere!

rocket21 said:
I just picked up that book at the Mountain Wanderer on Saturday - I was especially pleased to see the Bayle Mountain hike finally published somewhere!

Got mine at the same place on sunday. I just can't resist a book with a glow in the dark cover.

The summit building of Sugarloaf Mt. in Maine is haunted..... just thought you might like to know.

Puck, I have your avatar in vinyl, one of FZ's more consistent efforts and an interesting listen for sure! :)

I have to stop following this thread. I (no kidding) woke up at about 3am this morning with a start... dream faded quickly but I distinctly remember watching a sasquatch marching up a ridge from a clear view... then running into a remote cabin, whereupon it morphed into a terrifying hunt for a handgun while some Very Bad People were smashing through the cabin's door.

And I don't even own a handgun. Yikes.

I doubt a handgun would stop a BF. But they are supposed to be shy and retiring.

Anyone hear anything about the results of the BFRO 'expedition' for BF around Rangley Maine last month??

I read the book last night...or just the stories based in the White Mountains. (please excuse my bias) The book covers some of the favorites; the Willey dog that haunts Crawford Notch, Nancy who haunts the same area, the hauntings in Lake of the clouds, the boots in Greenleaf, Red Mac in Carter Notch, The Presence on the Summit of Washington, The lost Maddonna statue (no not the singer) on Mt Adams.

The stories have some "eye witnesses," many are hearsay passed down throught the ages. For what this book is, the lack of substantiation is forgivable. When you want to spook yourself you will not want to get bogged down in footnotes and a bibliography.

I always doubted the story of some of Roger's Rangers madeit to the White Mountains. In college I read primary source documents about the event from English and French sources. In a few weeks when I have my young nieces and nephew out in the mountains I will still tell them the story. Maybe they will look down into the rock crevices looking for this Maddonna statue..

Perhaps BF found the statue and has it in his lair, worshipping it as a BF goddess.... :rolleyes: :D

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the posts on the book. It is doing pretty good, and Steve has been keeping it in stock at Mt. Wanderer.I will admit-the madonna statue on Adams was probably my "least" fave story. (Just ask me what my fave was...) I am glad to hear Sasquatch hunters will be back searching around Bayle...that is a fun hike, and so is Devils Den. Someone suggested a "cool camping time" with ghost story swapping around the campfire. I found that too good to resist-Sooo... I have looked into it. As of this past weekend, I reserved 30 sites in Warren NH for Saturday night October 4th- for camping, cookout and ghost story sharing. Follow up to a hike to the Mt. Waternomee bomber wreckage which is close by to the campground on RT 118.
If you are interested, I am posting a bulletin soon. I still have stories that did not make the book- and some pretty weird ones to boot. But I did not get out as far as Pittsburgh , NH to look into them. Maybe for volume II! :eek:

www.myspace.com/hauntedhikes

Mount Washington Hotel has had plenty of ghost stories for decades.

The king of all haunted places in the mountains of New England is Mt. Glastenbury in Vermont. There were at least 5 people who disappeared there back in the 1940s under strange circumstances. The mountain is part of a larger area they call the "Bennington Triangle".

Wikipedia has an entry for it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bennington_Triangle

Puck said:
I always doubted the story of some of Roger's Rangers madeit to the White Mountains. In college I read primary source documents about the event from English and French sources. In a few weeks when I have my young nieces and nephew out in the mountains I will still tell them the story. Maybe they will look down into the rock crevices looking for this Maddonna statue..

Just a sidebar to this Puck, if you would like convincing evidence that they did make it into the White Mountains, please consider the book- The History of Rogers' Rangers-Vol, 4-The St. Francis Raid by Burt Garfield Loescher. A high quality work. He stresses that a more-likely area for the statue is the highpoint of Jefferson Notch or even Hardwood Ridge. Remembering that this road was built upon the old back-door approach to Maine for raiding Abenakis and even Edmands spoke of building Edmands Path along the route of an old Native American trail leading up to rhyolite deposits on the Southern Presi's, it is a high activity area for the ancient tribes, and it is highly possible that it may have been a route they could have attempted. Within a year of their demise, 1760, Jefferson residents found the remains of one of the Rangers located near where the South Israel (Singrawac) feeders converge, in the gap between Mt Mitten & Dartmouth.
I dreamed of finding that statue as a child cause the Notch was in my back yard. I'd ride my bike down there in the summer and spend days roving about those backwoods, looking and seeking. Of course, never found anything, but the endless amount of ravines and woods provide more spookiness than the mind needs to conjure on its own. There are few areas of the Whites that give me the jeebies, but even with spending so much time there, it still has a "feeling." I never got that feeling hiking into and spending time in the other likely spots, and it wasn't until years later as an adult that I stumbled upon works written that proposed in depth the Jefferson Notch/ Hardwood Ridge area. What made those areas stand out to me as a child was what was handed down by the old-timers of Jefferson.