Hawk Attack at Fenway Park

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
COOL STORY thanks for sharing. I wonder what they did with the nest ofter they removed it. I am glad the girl is ok and that is one beautiful bird. I love watching them around my house. I see them perched on the wires all the time waiting for that rabbit or mouse to go scurring by :)

Kind of reminds me of the story of "Pale Male", an urban hawk who lives under the eaves of a toney high-rise overlooking Central Park in NYC. Pale Male's story was told in a fascinating episode of Nature on PBS and was more recently immortalized in a song called Down Here Below on Steve Earle's new album.

Nothing new... Hawks protect their nests.

I've had it happen in the woods where a hawk had a nest close to a trail. Just hold your pack over your head and the hawk will attack the top of the pack instead of your head.

Doug

Hawks...

I too am fascinated with hawks, eagles, etc.. but I've got to feel for the poor child. What moron brought the kids within striking distance of a known hawk's nest? And then to remove the nest as if it's the hawk's fault for defending it's territory. Sad story. I hope the child is alright, as well as the hawk.

KDT

Kevin said:
I too am fascinated with hawks, eagles, etc.. but I've got to feel for the poor child. What moron brought the kids within striking distance of a known hawk's nest? And then to remove the nest as if it's the hawk's fault for defending it's territory. Sad story. I hope the child is alright, as well as the hawk.

KDT

I understand the nest is near the broadcast booth at Fenway Park. They do tours of the park virtually every day, and starting next Tuesday there will be about 36,000 people there for 81 games (hopefully more). If the hawk reacted this way to a small group it may well have become more stressed when the park gets busier. Maybe this is good (for the hawk) that it happened when it did, and the hawk and the nest could be relocated without a problem.

I don't know about this one...I once started a thread relating a hike I was on at the time of The Bill Buckner Play. I was quickly slammed, deleated and red squared even though I'm absolutely NO Mets fan, and actually got a few hiking related responces. I guess if it was about THE SOX winning their second World Series in the last few years it would be OK!... Or maybe someone figured out I'm originally from The Bronx!...Anyway, it's all good fun.

roadtripper said:
Marty,

What was the situation surrounding your attack in Maine???

Greg -
I was hiking the Maine Appalachian Trail up a mountain called Old Blue. All the sudden, I got buzzed on the top of my head. Turned around and saw a branch moving. I then resumed my hike and saw a large hawk coming at my face. I crossed my forearms and it descended down to my waist level, with its wings making contact to my hip. I then took off running and waving my arms, with the hawk dive bombing me three or four my times, thankfully not making contact. Eventually I got out of its nest range and resumed my hike.

On the way back, I was torn between bushwhacking and taking my chances. I chose the latter and chose wrong. The bird came at me another three times. I again resorted to my running and waving approach and got out of its range.

Marty

NewHampshire said:
Has any of the news outlets considered the possibility this hawk is peeved off at beer and soda prices at Fenway and this is its form of protest!? :D

Brian

I think it may be mad that it can't afford $90 per seat to take it's two kids to game. IF it can get tickets at all that is. At least it can get up from its obstructed view seats and fly over the field :D

On a more closely related note -- we had a robin build her nest on my porch light last summer. Once the chicks had hatched, she would dive bomb us if we went out on the deck. Kinds of a nuisance. If she comes back next year, the nest will get taken down immediately.

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=17899

Tim

I have great video of a red tailed hawk being buzzed by blue jays. It was really annoyed and I don't know why it didn't just reach out and snatch one up for an hor d'ouevre but after a few minutes of this the hawk took off.