Headlamp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Remix said:
Get a lamp with both a spot and flood capability. The spot capability is really important for seeing the other side of water crossing.
I agree. I mostly use the wide beam. The narrow one gives you tunnel vision.

If you are going to hike in the winter alot, a lamp with a separate battery pack makes sense. You can keep the pack next to your body so the batteries stay warm.
Certainly an issue for alkaline batteries, but lithiums are good to -40 or so. (NiMh rechargables are ok down to -20F or so.)

I like the separate battery pack because it is convenient to carry the batteries in my pocket and if the headlamp gets knocked off my head, the wire acts as a keeper cord. Unfortunately, the cords can fatigue and the wires can break.

Most of the modern hiking lights have internal batteries or a battery pack on the back of the user's head.

Doug

DougPaul said:
Interesting.

I doubt that the color difference would make a difference in the amount of light reflected by blowing snow. (Theoretically, it makes a difference when the particles are similar to a wavelength in size--but snowflakes are far larger than the wavelength. For instance, infrared (longer wavelength) is used to see through smoke (smaller particles).) Could also be an effect of visual perception (is the bluer light more blinding?) or headlamp placement (closer to one's eyes reflects more light back into one's eyes).
Interesting, yes. It wasn't snowing real hard so maybe it was the FOG penetration rather than the SNOW that made the difference. You're right, the blue light was much more disorienting than the yellow too. Next time it's real foggy at night I'll take an LED and the incandescent out into the yard and test it out! And my neighbors will call the loony bin... :) Anyway, enough on this- I realize it's getting away from the origianl question.

weatherman said:
Interesting, yes. It wasn't snowing real hard so maybe it was the FOG penetration rather than the SNOW that made the difference. You're right, the blue light was much more disorienting than the yellow too. Next time it's real foggy at night I'll take an LED and the incandescent out into the yard and test it out! And my neighbors will call the loony bin... :) Anyway, enough on this- I realize it's getting away from the origianl question.
The original question was "I need a new headlamp, any suggestions?"
Useability in fog and snow seems on-topic to me...

I have the vague impression that the narrower and brighter beam (just in front of the headlamp) of my brighter LED lights compared to the incandescent beam of my Petzl Duo makes the snowflakes flash brighter and more blinding.

It would be interesting to compare the incandescent and LED lights both on the head and in ones hand. The in-ones-hand condition would remove any details of the beam location (how far it is from ones eyes) and beam width very close to ones eyes. If the difference persists for the in-ones-hand condition, then the color is more likely to be the difference.

Doug

Sure Lithium batteries are great in the cold, but they are comparatively expensive.

The best deal I can find is 18 for a pack of 10 AA cells (energizer) at BJ's Wholesale Club. For comparison, a pack of 6 rechargeable 2600 mah cells is 12 bucks, and even less on the internet.

Compare the Black Diamond headlamps... How much is the IQ circuitry worth?

Compare the Vectra IQ vrs the Icon..

It seems the Icon is lighter, has a much longer run time and a much longer beam, and slightly cheaper. The only difference I see is the Vectra IQ has the IQ circuitry and an adjustable beam.

I have a bunch of headlamps, I actually use a Zenix IQ for general purpose hiking, but I am looking at getting one for bike commuting. I found the Zenix 1W hyperbrite LED on High decent for (road) bike commuting so I'm kind of looking at the Vectra IQ and the ICON. I would even consider something like the Lunar but I would also use this light for Hiking/Mountaineering so the basic LEDs might be handy. For Biking, the LEDs on most of the standard headlamps are completely useless, but the Xenon or Hyperbrite LEDS are decent, even the 3W LEDS are good.

Just trying to decide on going with the Icon or Vectra IQ...ack..

Jay

Jay H said:
Compare the Black Diamond headlamps... How much is the IQ circuitry worth?
A regulator can keep the headlamp brightness constant as the batteries weaken. Also, NiMH cells only put out 1.25V--headlamps without a regulator will be dimmer than with alkaline cells (1.5V).

Compare the Vectra IQ vrs the Icon..

It seems the Icon is lighter, has a much longer run time and a much longer beam, and slightly cheaper. The only difference I see is the Vectra IQ has the IQ circuitry and an adjustable beam.
The Vectra IQ high beam uses an incandescent bulb. Both seem to have regulators. There is an insightful review of the Vectra IQ at http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/blackdiamond_vectraiq.htm. (The ICON appears to be too new for a similar review.) The ways in which manufacturers rate headlamp lifetimes and intensities makes comparisons of their numbers pretty meaningless.

This website also presents consistent (across models and manufacturers) measurements of total light output and beam intensity and graphs of intensity vs time. (These graphs show some details that the manufacturers don't "bother" to tell you...)

I have a bunch of headlamps, I actually use a Zenix IQ for general purpose hiking, but I am looking at getting one for bike commuting. I found the Zenix 1W hyperbrite LED on High decent for (road) bike commuting so I'm kind of looking at the Vectra IQ and the ICON. I would even consider something like the Lunar but I would also use this light for Hiking/Mountaineering so the basic LEDs might be handy. For Biking, the LEDs on most of the standard headlamps are completely useless, but the Xenon or Hyperbrite LEDS are decent, even the 3W LEDS are good.

Just trying to decide on going with the Icon or Vectra IQ...ack..
You might also look at the 3W PTec Apex. (review: http://www.flashlightreviews.com/reviews/pt_apex.htm) It thows out as much light as my 10W incandescent bike light. It also works well with NiMH rechargables and has big enough heat sinks to operate continuously at 3 watts (not all do, eg Petzl Myo XP).

It looks to me like the ICON is BD's direct competitor to PTec's Apex. I haven't formed an opinion about which might be better until I see a good review and maybe even make a few measurements myself. They are likely using the same LED (Luxon Star III) so the differences may be in the details.

Here are some of my measurements. The power (mw) is approximately proportional to total light output and the the current (ma) is about inversely proportional to the battery life.
Code:
                         ma         mw            batt
                     ---------- ------------    ----------
BD Zenix IQ, high   120/230/480 360/690/1440    2x AA alk       4.5oz
BD Zenix IQ, low     30/ 50/ 90  90/150/ 270    2x AA alk       reg
BD Zenix IQ, high   140/300/680 350/750/1700    2x AA NiMH
BD Zenix IQ, low     30/ 50/110  75/125/ 275    2x AA NiMH

PT Apex, high         170/670    1020/4020      4x AA alk       8 oz
PT Apex, low           40/230     240/1380      4x AA alk       reg
PT Apex, high         180/760     900/3800      4x AA NiMh
PT Apex, low           40/250     200/1250      4x AA NiMh

Doug

Last edited:
Thanks Doug, the only thing I found on the Icon was this link to a flashlight/headlamp forum... Does seem to be new.

Another thing is mounting it to my bike helmet, which doesn't have a flat front like say a climbing helmet would and certainly no headlight clips. The Zenix IQ does OK cause it is somewhat flat whereas I'm sure the Apex, the Vectra IQ and the ICON being more squarish seems to have a bigger vertical. Hopefully it will fit flat to the helmet and not move too much. I can zip cord it but that makes it more of a permanent thing than what I do now with my Zenix.

Jay

These days, I'm sporting the Tikka XP (from Petzl). It's wonderful! You've got a Luxeon LED, a sliding diffuser lens, a battery level indicater, three levels + blinking, and a "boost" button for when you need a quick flood of light. All that and it doesn't drain the batteries quickly.

This lamp really has, and does, it all! I love it!!! :)

Jay H said:
Thanks Doug, the only thing I found on the Icon was this link to a flashlight/headlamp forum... Does seem to be new.
Thanks for the link--doesn't look like anyone there knows anything either... Definitely new--I saw a magazine ad ~2 weeks ago and looked for it on the web, including the BD website. Nothing found.

REI is currently listing the ICON http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...91&parent_category_rn=4500596&vcat=REI_SEARCH.
This is the best source of info that I have found (but I haven't looked recently). Seems to be 3 AA cells to the Apex's 4. Might have a shorter battery life. It is also listed on the BD website, but there is little info.

Another thing is mounting it to my bike helmet, which doesn't have a flat front like say a climbing helmet would and certainly no headlight clips. The Zenix IQ does OK cause it is somewhat flat whereas I'm sure the Apex, the Vectra IQ and the ICON being more squarish seems to have a bigger vertical. Hopefully it will fit flat to the helmet and not move too much. I can zip cord it but that makes it more of a permanent thing than what I do now with my Zenix.
Like you, I mount a hiking headlamp on my helmet and face a similar dilemma. I have bits of stick-on velcro on my helmet to stick the visor on (rarely used). The edges of the velcro forms ledges which help keep my headlamp in place. You could put several layers of tape outlining the headlamp mount to make similar ledges That plus the straps may do the job. Or a strap through the vent holes is another method if there is enough clearance between the helmet liner and your head.

I normally mount my 10W light (+ 2 smaller lights to fill in the short and long ranges) on my handle bars and a PTec Aurora on my helmet so I can see my instruments and look to the side. I have tried a Zenix IQ on my helmet (works), but haven't tried the Apex on the helmet. A problem with the battery-pack-on-the-back headlamps is that the wire length is frequently marginal. (Maybe I need a smaller head so I can use a smaller helmet... :) )

I prefer the big light on the bars and small light on my head approach, but obviously, some others like to put a big light on their heads.

BTW, an additional comment on the graphs of light intensity vs time mentioned in my previous post. Several of these big LED lights (including the Zenix IQ and Apex) will automatically switch to a lower level if they decide that the batteries are too weak for the current intensity. The graph is a good way of seeing such behaviors.

BTW2, these big lights eat batteries rather quickly if you use them at the high intensities very much (2-3 hr practical lifetimes). If you haven't already, I suggest that you look into NiMH rechargables. A quick search on this site will bring up a bunch of info. (Also search on "Maha" to get my charger recommendations.) http://thomas-distributing.com is a good place to start looking at chargers and batteries.

Doug

Last edited:
Hi Doug... I use a Marwi Kamikazi dual beam bike light with 5 9.8ampHr D cells (homemade) the Kamikazi uses standard incandescents and has a 20W flood and a 12W spot beam. I typically use the 12W spot beam for commuting on the road, the wide flood beam is more for MTBing. As you can imagine the battery pack is an anchor, it probably weighs like 2lbs!

My Zenix IQ has no problem with the battery cable fitting around my bike helmet and the headband is just adjustable enough to get it around the widest part. I run the band over the head through one of the back vents to the inside of the helmet and then out one of the front vents and clipped to the lamp itself. Works well, it probably wont be long enough to run it over the top of the helmet due to most bike helmets have a little overhang in the back.

Actually, the over-the-head strap does a good job of keeping the lamp from flying over my helmet. I'd have to take a picture of it because I don't think describing it is going to work!!!

Jay

Jay H said:
I use a Marwi Kamikazi dual beam bike light <snip>
Sounds good to me (and brighter than mine--mine is only 6/10W ...).

Re: headlamp on biking helmet.
Sounds like our helmets might be a bit different...
Anyhoo, lots of suggestions for any lurkers hunting for tips.

And to bring this back on topic: :)
When night XC skiing down upper Livermore Road (fairly fast), I would have liked a bit more light than the 1 watt (Yukon HL) light I was wearing. (I needed the extra light to be able to check the track off in the distance--the focusing capability of the Yukon HL was very handy here.) My 10W bike light isn't very practical here, but one of the 3W LED headlamps might work--wish they were focusable...

Doug

Last edited:
Most Headlamps Overpriced Cheeseball Junk!!!

LOOK FOR GOOD CONSTRUCTION BECAUSE BETTER THAN 50% OF THE HEADLAMPS ARE OVERPRICED CHEESEBALL JUNK!!!

Last year I was in market for a 2nd headlamp and had occasion to buy something that began with P (Petzal I think). The sales person at EMS proclaimed this little lite was just marvelous. They personnally carried this very light in their pack. Sounded good to me. I took it home and installed the batteries and noticed some for me very bad design flaws. The housing was indeed small and light, but very flimsy with many little tiny plastic tabs that would easily break or snap off making the sexy little light useless out in the field. Changing batteries in darkness or just carrying in pack makes breaking the little tabs more probable than not. This could easily end up as just a minor nuisance or a major emergency. I returned the light and bought the Zenix.

Headlamps cost way too much! Flimsy construction is not neccesarily function of price. You might find a well built inexpensive light or chintzy expensive light. I seem to recall Petzall being most guilty of this. Of course the heavy duty plastic packaging most lights come in make it impossible to really inspect the light to see how it's constructed. Catalog or online shopping for lights is very risky unless you know what you want in advance. My advise is to look very carefully at the lights. Be willing to open package in store and open casing looking for the tiny plastic tabs frequently used to open/close the case.

I have a Blackdiamond Zenix and older model Princeton Tec. I prefer the older Princton Tec headlamp because it just works. I had opportunity to test both side by side when we got caught hiking in dark two nights in row. The battery on the Zenix with it's higher IQ didn't last as long as the Princton Tec. I think it should have lasted longer. Maybe I don't understand how the Zenix works. I don't want to have to know how a light works. I just want to turn it on or off, That's all! The older Princton Tec is my main light.

There are some other bargain lights I've picked up at Home Depot and Target. Many of these have buttons that are easily depressed in the pack turning the light on in the pack and unknown to you killing the battery. Another not very helpful light.

In response to previous comments I bought the Target Energizer head lamp at Target and found the housing on this light unacceptably flimsy for carrying in pack for backpacking or winter use.

So big criteria is what do you want your light for? Casual hikes in warm weather low probabilty of being caught out in the dark. Go cheap. Get caught in dark regularly? do a lot of camping on trail or by car? Look for a better quality light. Winter and shoulder season outings. Go heavy, durable, reliable, pay more.

One very sweet little light I found for sale for $11 at Cardigan Lodge is Princeton Tec Blast. It's a tiny version of the Princeton Tec Sports Flare that dangles from a string like battery powered candle lantern. The Blast is tiny, runs on two AAA battaries, features gasket seal so it's waterproof, robust, simple twist to turn on, and features a tab on the side you can slide on the bill of a baseball hat brim and use as headlamp. I now carry this little gem as my spare light. Cardigan's the only place Ive seen it for sale so far.

That's my 2 cents!!! :D

I've owned a dozen over the past 3 years. I sold them all except for my Petzl Tikka XP.

Hands down the best headlamp ever.

Sell??? You can sell headlamps???? :D I don't know why I have like 5 of them

Petzl Tikka (old style)
PTex Solo
Petzl Myo 3 belt
BD Zenix IQ
BD Icon

I just got the Icon, I can say that the LEDs are a lot better than the Zenix and the 3w LED has a much bigger beam to it and looks to be a lot longer in reach. Didn't have time to do any kind of side by side comparison.

The battery compartment still is kind of tricky to do, in fact, the thumbscrew is even worse on the Icon than it is on the Zenix as it is smaller and instead of the case mounted to the top strap, it's mounted to the main headband!!! I don't like that design as now you have to make sure you have the headband straight when you put the cover back on. The battery pack too has a lot of dead air in it which I guess can only be for BD's NRG rechargeable pack which must be bigger than the 3 AAs it uses. There is a small gap between each battery which would is useless space. The plastic also seems kind of thin and flimsy, unlike the Zenix IQ.

The Icon doesn't have the IQ circuitry so it doesn't have the flashing light system. All in all, if not for the brighter and longer reach than the Zenix, I would buy the Zenix again in a heartbeat or perhaps the stronger Vectra IQ. It's just made better and a better design. However, the reach and power of the Icon is impressive so far. My main intent for it's use is bike commuting so I'll see how good it is when I mount it to my helmet and try it out.

Jay

Jay H said:
Sell??? You can sell headlamps???? :D I don't know why I have like 5 of them
Only 5? :) I started out many years ago with a Justrite focusing headlamp. Still have it. Still works, but I haven't used it for quite a while. However, I do miss the focusing feature missing from many modern headlamps...

I just got the Icon, I can say that the LEDs are a lot better than the Zenix and the 3w LED has a much bigger beam to it and looks to be a lot longer in reach. Didn't have time to do any kind of side by side comparison. <bunch of info on the icon snipped>
I've been looking at the Icon. According to the entry on the REI website, it has a regulator. (Probably only a non-boost regulator, so it can only dim the light. Basically, the 3W LEDs require some sort of regulator circuitry to feed and protect them.)

I was able to look at it in the store, but could only look through the packaging since they didn't have a demo out. (I would have pulled out a meter and made some current measurments if I could have gotten to it.) The PTec Apex has heat sinks to cool the LED so that it can run at 3W continuously, but the Icon looked like it had a plastic case with no exposed heatsinks, so it might not be able to run at full power for extended periods. (If the LED starts to overheat, the protective circuitry is generally designed to reduce the power level to protect the LED.)

The BD website is not yet making the instructions available. (Just checked.) Was there any info on whether the Icon can operate at 3W continuously?

If you haven't already, you might find comparing the Icon to the Apex interesting. The Apex is a real workhorse, still wondering about the Icon.

Doug

Last edited:
New PTec Auroras much brighter than old ones

I just replaced a damaged several year old PTec Aurora with a new one. The new one is dramatically brighter than the old one. I measured the current drain and found it to be about the same, so the new one gives more light for the same battery drain. Perhaps due to improvments in the LEDs.

Some of you might find the new Aurora worth a look. (The price has even gone down!)

Doug

I didn't even open the instructions, but I'll check. The only time I would even use a headlamp would be in winter when the days are shorter. I don't even need a bike light for most of the year.. I'll check the instructions though... With the cold weather, the wind and the temps probably acts like a good heatsink already!

Jay

Jay H said:
I didn't even open the instructions, but I'll check. The only time I would even use a headlamp would be in winter when the days are shorter. I don't even need a bike light for most of the year.. I'll check the instructions though...
Thanks.

It is also possible that we will have to wait for a good review (or a chance for someone knowledgeable to make some measurments). Manufacturers don't always "bother" customers with such details...

With the cold weather, the wind and the temps probably acts like a good heatsink already!
Wind and cold should help, but it would be a bit tacky if one only gets maximum light when there is snow around to reflect it back...

Doug
Always curious...

Looked at the instructions for the Icon, it says nothing of specifications and it basically just tells you how to access the 7 lighting modes. But as a Zenix IQ owner, I'm already familiar with the way the single button works... So I guess the jury is still out..

Jay