Headlamp

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Jay H said:
Looked at the instructions for the Icon, it says nothing of specifications and it basically just tells you how to access the 7 lighting modes. But as a Zenix IQ owner, I'm already familiar with the way the single button works... So I guess the jury is still out..
OK, thanks. I'll just have to wait for the informed reviews. My guess is that the headsink is inadequate/marginal so it simply (silently) reduces the power level if it gets too hot.

BTW, there is a similar bikelight: http://www.rei.com/online/store/Pro...87&parent_category_rn=4500819&vcat=REI_SEARCH.
3W led with a non-removable internal NiMH rechargable battery and a smart charger. (The battery (6V 2AH) is about equivalent to 4 AA NiMH cells.) The case is all metal, so I presume the case is used as the heatsink. IMO, way overpriced ($179, compared to the Apex ($84) or the Icon ($60), REI prices).

Doug

this is a really serendipitous thread, as I am going to buy a headlamp tonight after temporarily losing mine, (i hope) :D. After reading some posts about the value of having a backup, I figure I need another one, even if I find the one I already have! Now I will go into the store with all these great gear revues!

DougPaul, try buying a replacement battery for a typical namebrand bike light? NiteRider, Marwi, etc? The reason I made my 6v 9.8ampHr battery pack was because Marwi wanted like $100 6Ah battery bottle which I refused to pay... And instead of using an odd type battery inside, I use standard D cells. You can even buy 6v battery packs nicely shrinkwrapped and stuff at most battery places, but I just made my own. for like $30 total..

Jay

Jay H said:
DougPaul, try buying a replacement battery for a typical namebrand bike light? NiteRider, Marwi, etc? The reason I made my 6v 9.8ampHr battery pack was because Marwi wanted like $100 6Ah battery bottle which I refused to pay... And instead of using an odd type battery inside, I use standard D cells. You can even buy 6v battery packs nicely shrinkwrapped and stuff at most battery places, but I just made my own. for like $30 total..
Agreed--not only is that bike light too expensive, it doesn't allow for interchangable standard batteries.

I understand about making your own--I have a 12V (10 NiCad/NiMH D cells) homebrewed battery pack for a 25W SSB Ham transmitter. I also made up a 5xAA NiMH pack for my bike light. It should run a 6W bike light for something between 1 and 2 hrs. One problem with most commercial battery holders--the conductors are too thin and you have to jumper them with stranded copper wire to keep the losses down.

FWIW, replacement NiCad/NiMH 6V bottle battery packs are available for CygoLItes. Haven't actually priced them. (I got a spare at an REI garage sale... :) )

Doug

arghman said:
I like my $10 ($10-$15, I forget exact price) Energizer LED headlamp, maybe not the greatest but it was inexpensive, not bad, & you can switch from using white LEDs to red LED to save night vision.

I found it at Target after I misplaced my Petzl Tikka (still can't find it) and had a camping wkend coming up real quick.

Went to Wal Mart and picked up a couple of the 5 LED version. One for backup in my hiking pack and one for a primary in my hunting pack. Price was right ($14 and some change) and it looks like it will make for a suitable general use lamp.

Now just need to replace those "regular" batteries with some Lithiums, cuz the very first cold day and the "backup" will become pretty much useless :D ;) .

Brian

REI had an Icon demonstrator out today and I got some data:
Code:
                         ma         mw            batt
                     ---------- ------------    ----------
BD Zenix IQ, high   120/230/480 360/690/1440    2x AA alk       4.5oz
BD Zenix IQ, low     30/ 50/ 90  90/150/ 270    2x AA alk       reg
BD Zenix IQ, high   140/300/680 350/750/1700    2x AA NiMH
BD Zenix IQ, low     30/ 50/110  75/125/ 275    2x AA NiMH

PT Apex, high         170/670    1020/4020      4x AA alk       8 oz
PT Apex, low           40/230     240/1380      4x AA alk       reg
PT Apex, high         180/760     900/3800      4x AA NiMH
PT Apex, low           40/250     200/1250      4x AA NiMH

BD Icon, high       110/210/400 495/945/1800    3x AA alk  very narrow beam
BD Icon, low         50/ 90/170 225/405/ 765    3x AA alk
The Icon only runs at 1.8W--so that is how they avoid using a heat sink! Less than half the power of the Apex and hardly more than the Zenix IQ. The high beam was also a bit too narrow for my taste. (The Apex and Zenix IQ are a bit wider.)

So they advertise a 3W LED, but only run it at 1.8W... :( Boo!
An Apex may cost a bit more, but it runs at an honest 3+W.

Doug

Last edited: