Help needed: Trail runners/hiking shoes

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Never had a problem with my Salomon laces... I don't think I'd be able to tie a regular shoe anymore :D

I have a pair of Keen shellrock. They're eVent tops, so waterproof/breathable, lightweight, pretty comfy (although not particularly supportive or cushioning, even with a Sole footbed.) The top pulled off the sole on Mt. Abraham (ME) after I had maybe 15 miles on the shoes. I duct taped it and finished the trip, then shoe goo'd the whole area for good measure. Now I find (maybe 50 miles into the life of the shoe) that the tread is delaminating from the soles.

Targhee: My hiking buddy tried these. One half of a brand-new pair blew out on Madison on a Presi traverse...a little duct tape and a lot of wrapping the lace around the boot kept it going. Its partner blew out on Ike. That pair went back to REI for an exchange. Its replacement died after ten miles.

So I'm not going to touch Keen again.
Same exact thing happened to my friend's Keenes and mine (the street models)-sole delaminated. I would not recommend Keene shoes to anyone. If you want Keenes, stick to the sandals... they apparently only know how to work with soles only... put a sole and an upper together? Whoaaa, slow down there...

Last edited:
Salomon is the real deal - once I went Salomon, I never went back.. casual, running, trail running, hiking - these shoes do it all.

not once had a problem (on my 3rd pair now) - only replace b/c I try and buy a pair every year for running. they hold up great.

I have had good luck for over 10 years with the new balance 80X series. I started with 801's and I think they may be up to 810's by now. I used them for AT section backpacking more than trail running and have used them for several years hiking in the presi's. They are offered in multiple widths and their size range is bit higher than other brands. The sizing tends to be small so go up a half size. They are not water proof or in anyway water resistant, but the plus side is they dry out quickly and are not hot to hike in. The trade off for their lightness is that they do wear out quickly, I usually get about 300 to 400 miles of hiking before some part of the shoe wears out, but to date, I have never had a pair "fail" in a way that prevented me from finishing a hike. I wear smart wool heavy socks and liner socks so I do get additional cushioning over and above what is in the shoe.

The sizing tends to be small so go up a half size.

I'll vouch for that on NB too. I also had a pair of 801's. I ordered the usual as I do on-line and they were too small, a half-size larger made all the difference. That, as a whole, was a nice shoe, I think I got my pair about 6-7 years ago.

Lots of great trail shoes out there - I would worry less about the bells, whistles and hype, and more about what feels good to YOUR feet.

That, I think, is the best advice, which is why I am with those who endorse New Balance. I go through one or two pairs of trail runners a year, and they make the wide width that I need. I get them at New Balance Web Express, one of my favorite online retailers.

I ordered a pair of the Lafuma OS 26 softshell shoes to try out. I got em for $40 with free shipping and free return shipping. They might end up as walkaround shoes if they're comfy enough but not trailworthy.

Looking around I found these - they look like a good option, and I know a few folks who have the 5.10's...(Adventurous?).

Anyone use them?

I have had a good experience with my Vasque Velocity. On my second pair and still use my first for yard work. Hiked, biked and trail run with them,

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

I just got back from class and hit SAC just in time to glimpse the shoes before it switched over to the sleeping pad.

I just got back from class and hit SAC just in time to glimpse the shoes before it switched over to the sleeping pad.

Well, it's not too late. You can go to steep and cheep and download the desktop notification. That way you can have it popping up every 20 minutes, and who knows if more shoes will be on there? The same ones might come back in a day or two, I've seen that happen before!

Well, it's not too late. You can go to steep and cheep and download the desktop notification. That way you can have it popping up every 20 minutes, and who knows if more shoes will be on there? The same ones might come back in a day or two, I've seen that happen before!

I have the little update thingy in my status bar. They'll keep selling the shoes today till they're gone, just gotta hope sizing is right.

Watch SAC this evening/tonight -- they may be back.

I've noticed recently that some of the things that were on sale earlier in the day often show up later at night (unless they sell out, obviously).

Whatever fits of course:

EMS Sale (old Club Day - the weekend after easter)

My experience - hearing & wearing

have heard laSportiva's last are a bit narrow

I have a wifer front front & about average heel, proabbly narrow which is why I have some big callouses on the sides of my heels. (From the big EMS boots)

Asolo & Vasque are pretty similar & for my foot type fit me well. I'll be looking at replacing the Asolo's I trashed last year

I recently tried on a pair of Vasque Breeze XCR GTX and loved them, very comfortable foot bed with good supportive arches.

I have been trailrunning in Vasque Velocity XCR GTX and I LOVE them -- again very supportive and the traction is awesome. I can run over rocks, roots, you name it, and my feet are totally cushioned. I picked them up on clearance from REI for $52.

If you are comfortable hiking in trail runners, I recommend the Vasque Velocity. I like a high top boot for hiking and need extra support, so I'll probably pick up the Breeze for summer hiking.

I love the quick laces on Salomon's too, except when they break, and then you are screwed because you can't really lace them like regular shoes.

Last edited:
I'll vouch for that on NB too.

I've found the New Balance 80x to work well for me too. One pair took me along the Cohos trail, across many local trails is southern NH, and over most of the NH 4000 footers. After that they've served as yard work shoes.

Yeah, they aren't waterproof. But they are lightweight. And all that black sticky rubber grips the rocks well.

It seems to me that some of the hiking boot brands have something close to cut-off hiking boots. They sport heavy soles and thick leather or plastic, and are relatively heavy. I donno. These don't work for me.

But as other have said - get shoes that work with your feet!

And about trail runners - they are mostly for light weight hiking by reasonably conditioned hikers. Just something to keep in mind.