Highland Center?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WhiteMTHike

Reaction score
My apologies if we've already had a thread on this.

I checked it out this past weekend. The place sure is beautiful and is obviously geared towards hikers. From what I could see it seems family friendly. I love the location and its accessibility to trails. It seems a bit pricey though, although breakfast and dinner seems to be included in most packages. Have any of you stayed there? What did you think? How was your overall experience?

I think it is a very individual choice - I have only stayed at Shapleigh Bunkhouse and I have eaten at the Highland Center. I find it to be very pricey and not all that geared for hikers, but more so for vacationers - in that sense it could make a lot of sense for a family - they do run programs that children would enjoy. The food is OK (only speaking for breakfast - have not had dinner there.) A lot of the staff are wonderful - and knowledgeable - but I have had issues with a few people that were very rude. If it is in your families budget I would give it a try.

I agree with what Mike has said. I've stayed a couple of times at the main lodge as part of an AMC event right after it opened. It was windy, and felt like living inside a big drum. Don't know whether that's been fixed, or if it was just the room I was in. I didn't care for the lodging in the main building - it's voluminous and cold - but I do like Shapleigh. Have stayed there several times and usually have had the place to myself. Shapleigh seems like an extension of the camaraderie you share on the trails. The main lodge is, well, overpriced and plain vanilla.

As for meals and packages - I think by default they assume you want meals but believe you can have them deduct them if that fits your plans. Breakfast is good, but served a bit late for typical hiker types, especially if you've planned a big day. However, as a place to crash after a Presi traverse, with a leisurely breakfast the next day - can't be beat. Dinner is pricey and sometimes ostentatious and seems out of place. But maybe that's just me.

It's quite a different experience than you typically have at Joe Dodge in Pinkham, where it's noisy, friendly, sometimes boisterous, and creates a more intimate feeling.

For the most part it is not geared for harder core hikes who want a cheap place to sleep or want to be on the trail before sunrise. It is more geared towards those that want to stay in the middle of the mountains with a room, showers, and meals that have more disposable income. It's a great place for families where differant members can choose between longer hikes in the area or shorter guide lead tours and edcuational oppurtunities. It even has free Wifi for those that have a need to stay in touch with work or other folks.

For non experienced folks they offer gear for day us at no charge if you are staying there and knowledgable stff to answer questions.

We have eaten breakfast there several times and find it okay quality wise. For AMC members it is a good deal for an all you can eat breakfast with a wide variety of chooses.

We have only eaten there once for dinner - Thanskgiving two years ago where for $18.00 a person you got an all you can eat turkey dinner.

We've stopped there many times after a hike in the area for a bathroom stop and a cold beer. Nice grassy lawn and chairs to enjoy the sunshine on a nice day.

It's not for everybody, but it's not meant to be. The AMC appears to be gearing this location for a differant group than what Pinkham is geared for. Some harder core hikers have issue with this as it replaced what was once a cheap lodging option.

I was just checking out rates there this morning. Haven't stayed there yet, but noticed that the Shapleigh Bunkhouse (mentioned by sapblatt above) is $37 a night for non-AMC members, or $32 for members. Certainly not cheaper than a hostel or something like Hiker's Paradise in Gorham, but it beats the prices of the motels in the immediate area.

Not sure where you're thinking of hiking, so this may not be feasible for you, but I recommend the Conway Hostel. At $24.20 a night, it offers shared bunkrooms, shared bathroom with two free showers, a nice "living room" area and a kitchen area. Stayed there a few weeks ago and am planning to stay up there again this weekend because it can't be beat at this price.

My sister who lives in CT and can stay with me anytime (Thornton) likes the camaraderie of the hiking community at the Highland Center. She is not “hard core” but enjoys a nice hike with similarly minded folks. See met the CT chapter chair last year and mentioned now that her youngest is out of Scouts after receiving his Eagle; she was looking to expand her hikes to include AMC sponsored hikes. After taking a Wilderness First-Aid course and other courses aimed at leading hikes, she has now begun to lead her own AMC sanctioned hikes in CT. Without that chance meeting of the CT chair at the HC, she might not be so involved with the AMC and hike as much as she is now. I have mixed feeling for the HC, but do not begrudge anyone who likes to stay there.

My 2 cents from my one visit- = which by the way was with Sapblatt.

The bunkhouse was nice but we were surprised at how rude some people were. We spent some time around dinner relaxing in front of the fire in the HC. Shortly after about 12 young kids came in running and yelling and were jumping on the couches, with no adult supervision. We shortly left.

I thought the breakfast was disappointing. Could have been a bad day but for a person who is easy to please with food I did not enjoy.

Perhaps it’s my personality but if I ever have the chance to stay up there again overnight, especially with family, I would stay at a local motel and enjoy the privacy and then go to the local restaurants.

It is a beautiful place in a beautiful location.

Nothing against HC in general, just not for me. I should share that my wife tells me regularly that I am unfriendly and shouldn’t be around people, so take it for what its worth. Maybe its me. :rolleyes:

...... my wife tells me regularly that I am unfriendly and shouldn’t be around people, so take it for what its worth. Maybe its me. :rolleyes:

Not true. Carla asks about you several times a year, and has remarked on many occasions what a nice guy you are, and it's too bad you moved so far away.

I guess the HC is like anywhere else, one bad experience may leave a bad taste in your mouth, but it may have just been one of those days. It's a shame that there are so many parents these days that don't have a clue what parenting is. But all that aside, I think it would take at least 2 or 3 negative experiences to definitively say that a place is not worth going back.

Then again, I'm an eternal optimist who has been disappointed with people too many times lately so my way of thinking may change. :rolleyes:

I was just checking out rates there this morning. Haven't stayed there yet, but noticed that the Shapleigh Bunkhouse (mentioned by sapblatt above) is $37 a night for non-AMC members, or $32 for members. Certainly not cheaper than a hostel or something like Hiker's Paradise in Gorham, but it beats the prices of the motels in the immediate area.

Not sure where you're thinking of hiking, so this may not be feasible for you, but I recommend the Conway Hostel. At $24.20 a night, it offers shared bunkrooms, shared bathroom with two free showers, a nice "living room" area and a kitchen area. Stayed there a few weeks ago and am planning to stay up there again this weekend because it can't be beat at this price.

I believe that the price for HC includes AYCE breakfast.

Now be fair - the $141 rate is for a non-member Adult. The child rate is $46.

The AMC member rates is $117 for an Adult and $39 for a child.

Both include Dinner and breakfast and these rates are for private room/bath.

With an AMC family membership at only $60, even a first time family of 4 would be wise to join the AMC for the reduced rate.

It gives me an icky feeling, just like I always get at the huts. It just doesn't match my idea of mountain hospitality. I just see cool people pretending to be "like, earthy".

Recently, I thought I'd share an observation with whomever may be knowledgable about wildlife/moose biology. I asked at the counter if there were any wildlife experts.

"Not right now, but what's your question"...freindly enough.

"Do you know about moose?".

"Sure, what's the question"...not quite as freindly.

I explained that I saw two moose, one adult cow and one that was puzzling to me. It was the fully grown, however, it was mid-August and the antlers were still buds of about 1" in legnth, and the muzzle was light brown.

I asked why would the antlers be so small, being mid-August. He said that moose antlers are not full grown until the rutting season. I very politely told him he was wrong, explaining the growth cycle. I said I've never seen buds so small at this time of year. Then he said that when they fall off in winter, the buds are left behind. I explained that that was also incorrect and offered to email very close-up photos of bulls who have recently dropped antlers and show a concave surface where the antler fell off. He was not willing to just say he didn't know much after all and refer me to someone else. Instead, he repeated that antlers don't grow large until just before the rut, which starts in October. The rut starts in September.

The youger girl behind the desk was getting a little kick out of our conversation, but the guy was stubborn and stuck to his opinion.

The point is that this person is pretending to be an expert and he's giving bogus info to people. I can't be the only person to ask about moose.

Anyway, my comment is that it just doesn't match my idea of mountain hospitality, and it gives me an icky feeling.

It is what it is. I've had both good and bad experiences there. If you don't like it, the Whites are big enough to to avoid it.

Like Kevin says: it;s a nice place after a tough hike. I'd wager that most folks doing a hut-hut would really enjoy a brew as they passed through.

It's like radio or television: if you don't like it, change the channel. :rolleyes:

Or one can join Subsig, which is 9.2 miles down the road on 302. $20 gets you an annual membership. If the heat is off, a night's stay costs $6. If the heat is turned on (and the cabin is nice and comfy when it is), a night's stay is $10.

Fireplace, immaculate conditions, nice couches in a fully lit living room, comfy mattresses upstairs, full kitchen, nice folks. There is an outhouse, but it's heated.

Virtually every weekend there is a hike planned, which one can do or not. The weekend's leaders cook group food, which is served at cost...

For someone who wants to hike both days, the place is as close to perfect as one can ask for, especially given the price.

www.subsig.org

These rates seem as reasonable as they were when the AMC used to be a non-profit organization.
I'm not sure if that's meant to be tongue-in-cheek, but the AMC is still a registered non-profit.

It's for yuppies from EASTERN Ma.
And has really hurt the local businesses with unfair tax breaks.
FLAME ON !!

Reactions: SLB
The bunkhouse rate includes the breakfast, so at the AMC or Non Amc rate it still is a great deal. There is one room with 4 bunks and the bigger has 12. First come first served basis on the bunks. There is a separate area with table chairs, microwave and sink. The food is all you can eat. If you don't mind the group setting, this is the way to go and you can hang out in the main building with the fire all you want.

Forestgnome

I think you may need to realize that when it comes to moose you are the go to guy. You are focused not on what you know but on what you don't know. you may understate your expertise. I think it is great to be so caught up in the wonderment and awe of your subject you don't have time to get intellectualy fat and arrogant. Your question was more for a biologist. The answer may have been "I have seen it beofre but we need to study it."

The staff at the HC can be hit or miss. The did carry the title "Naturalist" but now they are called something else...guides or program directors or something. I know there are people there that have advanced degrees in the sciences. But for the most part they are leading young or inexperienced groups around Saco Lake, perhaps for these groups and the focus they are the experts and feel they need to have all of the answers.

Last edited:
I agree with forestgnome, SLB and BOB!!!!

so .....BOBANDGERI: its only ~620 bucks for a family of 4 for the weekend using the member rate. To be blunt - that is insane.

I have stayed at hotels with my family and with food, etc. I have not even come come close to $620 for a weekend.

It's there so the people with lots of cash can come up, hike a little, have their freakin wine and cheese, talk about saving the planet, how green they are, and then become AMC members and cut large checks to joy street.

non profit me arse. rent on beacon hill ain't cheap :eek:

Last edited:
I guess that I'd rather have people who can afford to stay at the HC pay the high rates and help fund what the AMC does rather than have the AMC send more fundraising appeals via the mail and waste paper and other resources.

Non-profits are still businesses, and will generally charge what the market will bear. It there weren't other options in the area, I would feel differently. But since there are, use them instead of the HC if you want to.

As for me, have hammock, will travel!

P.S. How has is hurt local businesses?

Last edited: