Highpoint: Virginia. Mt. Rogers (5729 ft). June 14, 2010

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrishandAlex

Reaction score
Highpoint: Virginia. Wild ponies galore - Mt. Rogers (5729 ft). June 14, 2010

Cut and pasted from http://www.trishalexsage.com
Accompanying pictures and videos can be found there.

Rhododendron Trail, Appalachian Trail, Mt.Rogers Spur Trail. About 8.5 miles roundtrip, 1500 elevation gain.

When planning this highpointing bonanza a few weeks ago, I hesitated over four particular states. Virginia was one of them (I'll mention the others in later weeks, as we get to them). The hike up Mt. Rogers is a little over 8.5 miles with an elevation gain of 1500 feet. I knew Alex could handle the trek with no problems, but I was concerned about Sage. Sage has done 8 flat miles a couple of times, and she's done 1500 feet elevation in 5 miles, but she's never done 8 miles WITH 1500 feet elevation. Highpointing rules allow me to carry her if necessary...but since I'd be carrying a gigantic pack filled with the usual precautions for a serious hike, I didn't know if I'd be physically able to carry Sage for more than half a mile.

Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Sage took on this mountain with gusto. It helped that we ascended in a cloud, which kept the temperatures cool. Also...there were wild ponies all over the trail! These beautiful creatures motivated Sage, she kept wanting to continue in case there were more "just over there" (there usually were).

The trails wound through grassy highlands, rocky outcroppings, and one dense "fairy forest." I think my pictures and videos do a decent job of describing our day, so I'll hush up and let them do the talking...

Next stop: Kentucky.

Last edited:
Cool pics of the fog!

And those girls are going to grow up to be models, they have already learned to 'strike a pose'! :D

Trish,
Nice report and pictures. Looks like a nice and easy trail to the top. Your videos of the wild ponies remind me of the ones we would run into on Assateague Island years ago.

Donna:)

Thanks, Tom. I don't know about models, but they sure are hams. :rolleyes:

Jimmy Legs and Little D -- yes, this was a nice trail. Stellar, in fact. Good exercise, gorgeous scenery. Highly recommend it if you ever get the chance.

Cut and pasted from http://www.trishalexsage.com
Accompanying pictures and videos can be found there.

I knew Alex could handle the trek with no problems, but I was concerned about Sage. Sage has done 8 flat miles a couple of times, and she's done 1500 feet elevation in 5 miles, but she's never done 8 miles WITH 1500 feet elevation. Highpointing rules allow me to carry her if necessary...but since I'd be carrying a gigantic pack filled with the usual precautions for a serious hike, I didn't know if I'd be physically able to carry Sage for more than half a mile. Turns out I had nothing to worry about. Also...there were wild ponies all over the trail! These beautiful creatures motivated Sage, she kept wanting to continue in case there were more "just over there" (there usually were).

Congrats on Mt. Rogers, the longest hike for a SE high pointer if you choose to use roads when available. Good to hear that the wild ponies are still hanging out there.

Nice pic's My famliy went last year in Aug. Nice place just to pitch the tent and stare into the sky. I will show my boys your pitures. Your girls are younger and they are stronger hikers then my14 and 11 year old. They are going to be teased for sure.

Congrats on Mt. Rogers, the longest hike for a SE high pointer if you choose to use roads when available. Good to hear that the wild ponies are still hanging out there.

Thanks, Dr. D. We are using roads when possible. If we didn't, then I think Sage would burn out rather quickly. Also, it is TOO HOT down here to hike, in my opinion. Neither Alex nor I do well in heat. It's been over 90 degrees for much of our highpointing. Today we did just over a mile in 95 degree heat and 50% humidity, and I thought I'd keel over and die.

hikem'all, I agree, Grayson Highlands is a great place. We enjoyed our stay. Camping at over 4000 feet is a treat -- the weather is cool, the campground is nice, there are lots of little paths to explore. One day I'd like to go back and spend a week or so there.

there were wild ponies all over the trail

Cool! That was the first thing I wondered when I saw your thread title -- did you see the horses. That's a great area. Glad you had fun there.

Matt

PS -- oh, yeah, one other thing -- not trying to be a fearmonger or anything, but it's summer in the South and when you're used to hiking in northern New England you might not be thinking about it, so -- watch out for snakes. Copperheads can turn up in the darnedest places, and they can mess up your vacation. So ... look sharp! ;) Good luck w/ the rest of your adventure.

Last edited:
WOW Trish! That first video is awesome -- It's pretty amazing that you were able to walk that close to one that was lying down and it didn't get up. I guess the prey instinct is pretty weak in that herd. Even my own horse gets up from a nap when a human gets too close, as most domestic horses do. Also it's really neat that you got footage of the mutual-grooming session! Super cool, thanks for posting this.

oh, yeah, one other thing -- not trying to be a fearmonger or anything, but it's summer in the South and when you're used to hiking in northern New England you might not be thinking about it, so -- watch out for snakes. Copperheads can turn up in the darnedest places, and they can mess up your vacation. So ... look sharp! ;) Good luck w/ the rest of your adventure.

Hi Matt, thanks -- we've been on the lookout for copperheads and rattlesnakes...will continue to do so. At one point I'll probably pick up a rattlesnake-bite kit, just in case.

WOW Trish! That first video is awesome -- It's pretty amazing that you were able to walk that close to one that was lying down and it didn't get up. I guess the prey instinct is pretty weak in that herd. Even my own horse gets up from a nap when a human gets too close, as most domestic horses do. Also it's really neat that you got footage of the mutual-grooming session! Super cool, thanks for posting this.

Thanks, Unstrung Harp. At first I felt awkward about having to get so close -- there was no way around them, and they certainly weren't moving anytime soon. However, it soon became obvious that these ponies are very laid back and presented no danger to us (as long as we respected them, didn't harass them, and kept moving). Later, a mama had her foals directly on the trail and didn't seem the least bit troubled at our presence. However, I'm a mama traveling with foals of my own...maybe that makes a difference..?