Hiker missing in Franconia Notch area

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hunters and fishermen have reason to be unhappy because their license money pays for rescues while taxes paid by the "clueless" go to the general fund.

Idiots make things worse for the careful by getting needless rules passed: for instance, the park gate at Kearsarge used to be left open at night for those who want to go on sunset hikes but is now locked because of teenagers injured midnight drag racing.
There's no question about that.
I just always found the hostility in those articles to be a bit odd, that's all.

You'd think this would be a fairly easy story for the press to write up, but I'm confused. Was he hiking or fishing? Where is the Monroe Brook Trail near the Cog that the other injured person was hiking? I haven't seen that question asked before.

You'd think this would be a fairly easy story for the press to write up, but I'm confused. Was he hiking or fishing? Where is the Monroe Brook Trail near the Cog that the other injured person was hiking? I haven't seen that question asked before.

Good question. From what I could gather he was a regular fisherman but not a regular hiker, but decided take a walk in the woods to get some exercise. But it does make you think, why do we have to label people as "fisherman" or "hiker"? How about just saying it's a guy that got lost in the woods? ;)

Monroe brook isnt so much a trail as it is a gully people ski. Lookers right of ammo ravine.

And right, if he was fishing why was he miles up fwt? Strange.

You'd think this would be a fairly easy story for the press to write up, but I'm confused. Was he hiking or fishing?
Does it really matter? He was traveling in the woods and, like Scott Mason (the boy scout in the northern pressies), failed to account for spring travel conditions (ie rotten snow and high water).

Doug

Many native brook trout stream and ponds require, by deafult, a "hiking" trip to get there. A good example is the "fishermans herd path" used by people taking the Franconia Falls shortcut to Owl's Head.

Brian

.... or bushwhacking to get there, making non-fishing bushwhackers freeloaders also, such as those visiting Carrigain Pond (with or without the Captain) sans fishing pole. :D