Hikers beware

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
WELL.... that kind of puts my 'black fly' complaints into perspective.

So... are there any particular ponds I should plan on avoiding? The creep-factor was pretty high on those critters BEFORE clicking that link.

You know some concerned relative is going to send you this article to help protect you. My mom practically runs a NH bear-story clipping service. :rolleyes:

McRat said:
. . .You know some concerned relative is going to send you this article to help protect you. My mom practically runs a NH bear-story clipping service.

Bingo!

Best chuckle of the day, so far.

G.

OH Gross!

One year during the Eco Challenge teams hiked thru leech infested areas. Each segment of the televised race started off with some guy on the radio saying that a leach had just taken a trip up his...um, well - it went in to explore parts unknown...he was told after it was "full" (which I believe is either 3 or 5 times it's size) it would travel back out.

:eek:

while fishing at Russell Pond last year, my girlfriend somehow caught a leech - it was (no exaggeration) 7 inches long, 2 inches across - now I know why I don't swim in Russell Pond- but what about the poor moose?

McRat said:
So... are there any particular ponds I should plan on avoiding?
Greeley Pond used to have lots of leeches in it. I don't know if it still does.

that leech story was pretty unbelievable.it reminded me of the time when i was a little boy in the city and playing with a miniature cowboy and indian set, i some how put the tiny coffee pot up my nose and couldn't get it out. i barely remember my mother totally frantic,rushing me into a cab,dragging me into the emergency room, screaming ...."please some one help me, my son has a coffee pot stuck up his nose!"

SEA Leeches

Ever since participating in the South East Asian War Games 1968 and 1969. Leeches no longer freak me out. Many a happy evening was spent untucking my pantlegs and watching the fat and sated leeches roll out onto the ground. It was the unknown varmints that I brought back in my gut that still give me the shivers. Thanks for the memories. SEA War Games - Second Place. Ever notice that good trout ponds have leeches galore.

Last edited:
McRat said:
So... are there any particular ponds I should plan on avoiding?

GorgeFitch is right, lots of leeches in Greely Ponds.

The fastest my wife has ever moved was just after commenting "oh, look, little baby snakes, how cute!", while wading in Greely Pond. Then she realized what they were. ;)