hiking and non-hiking friends (moved from Q&A)

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
audrey said:
I sometimes feel guilty about neglecting my non-hiking friends, some of whom have been friends since adolescence (a lot of years!). But they don't mind: they are grateful that I've stopped trying to convert them into hikers.

I still haven't learned my lesson . . . I am always trying to convert my non-hiking friends into hikers because that is about the only way I can still see them and not have to scarifice a weekend in the mountains. So, I try all my tricks, promises of chocolate, gourmet food, carrying their gear, promises of "easy" hikes and waterfalls, cookies, wine on mountaintops . . . I exploit all their weaknesses :D :D

I have suceeded in converting at least 3 of my non-hiking friends into regular hikers, though 2 of the 3 have since moved to other parts of the country :(

I hear lots of complaints from those I don't see often and I even use those complaints to my advantage and invite them to join me on a hike so we can have what everything we want, see each other and have fun. :D

All my new friends are all hiking friends . . . so that solves that issue.

sli74

sli74 said:
So, I try all my tricks, promises of chocolate, gourmet food, carrying their gear, promises of "easy" hikes and waterfalls, cookies, wine on mountaintops . . .

Sheesh, with offers like that, I'll hike with you and I'm already converted! ;)

I also mostly see my hiking friends since I seem to be obsessed with hiking. I feel like I have built some great friendships in recent times through the hiking community. I try to do things with my other friends during the week to keep my weekends open for hiking. One of the reasons for starting the views and brews list (see my signature for the link) was to have light hiking with the reward of a brew at the end for friends and family who aren't into hiking the way I am. It still exposes them to the activity in a way that doesn't alienate them from hiking and lets me share my love of the outdoors with them.

Like many on this BB, I have friends with mixed ideas of recreation, politics, religion, music, literature, sports, etc. Most of my non-hiking friends think I am crazy but I endorse that. Personally, I'd get pretty bored if all I talked about was hiking and backpacks and boots and trees. One of these days my hiking game will be done and if all my friends are hikers, that's going to create a bit of a void. I like the diversity. So, to answer the question, I feel no more remorse about spending time with my hiking friends than I do when I spend time with my non-hiking friends.

JohnL

JohnL said:
One of these days my hiking game will be done and if all my friends are hikers, that's going to create a bit of a void.

Now that is an excellent point but I thought we were gonna have a hiker's home where we can all "retire" to once our bodies don't allow us to do all the things we once did :D Didn't someone start a thread like that recently?

sli74

My best friend has been my friend since kindergarten. That's 25 out of our 30 years as friends. He doesn't hike and I don't play basketball, but we ask each other every time we're planning something just so we're not "leaving each other out." I surprised him one time when he was planning a basketball tournament and signed up. I don't see him surprising me and heading out in the woods with me any time soon, though... Who knows, though?

hiker retirement home

My friends and I talk about a hiker retirement home.There's only a few parcels of land available for development in Waterville Valley--so if anyone is interested better act soon. Otherwise when we get old they'll ship to Fl where we can sit indoors in AC and do whatever it is that old people do down there.

My friends mostly fall into these categories:
1) Hiking
2) Skiing
3) Fly Fishing
4) Drinking/partying
5) Music
6) Maine neighbors

Most fit into more than one category :) I did find long ago that it is good and healthy to keep myself occupied with many pursuits, constantly trying to re-invent myself (that has been particularly fortunate lately!).

As for converting non-hiking friends, I mostly fail at that. Funny how the same has not been true of Drinking buddies :eek:

sli74 said:
Now that is an excellent point but I thought we were gonna have a hiker's home where we can all "retire" to once our bodies don't allow us to do all the things we once did :D Didn't someone start a thread like that recently?

sli74
I think you can always hike as long as you can walk...we may have to scale back our ambitions, but we can still get out for a nice walk in the woods and/or mountains.
Hell - I love the Wilderness Trail! :D

The notion of friends and free time is very different when you're 30-something, have a house and couple of young kids. Free time is an illusion, and I don't have any friends calling me on Thursday evening, asking me what are my plans for the week-end... but that might be because I'm just a looser with no friends. My partner in life is the one who complains about the fact that all I do is hiking, but that's another problem (and could be another thread).

Artex said:
I'd say just about all of my friends or people I associate with are hikers or runners. If somebody doesn't do either, we're just not going to have too much else in common. My recent exgirlfriend will attest to that. :p

Sorry to hear about the g/f, but I couldn't agree more. I'd rather be single and enjoy my life than attached and trying to enjoy someone else's. Bliss is when both goals are the same.

I have both hiking and non-hiking friends, but I probably spend more time with hiking friends. I fully agree that life after 30 is more complicated (I'm nearly 47) with obligations and responsibilities, but frankly getting outdoors keeps me happy and sane. I still find plenty of time for family and friends (even non-hiking ones)!

Thanks for posting this question.

--LTH

Last edited:
Pete_Hickey said:
Ahhh... Those days...

back then, these were my hiking companions. Just me and the three of them:

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmpadk/liljr1.jpg

and

http://newmud.comm.uottawa.ca/~pete/tmpadk/liljr2.jpg

Timmus: You know the little one: Jean-René.

It looks like you can have your kids and not give up your favorite pastime by including them. I wish I took mine out hiking when they were little instead of ski racing and violin. ( Ski racing wasn't so bad since I could be outside while watching or waiting, but the violin was torture)

Of my 3 best friends, one hikes and 2 don't. My 18 year old daughter just E-mailed me and asked if we could take another backpacking trip this fall like we did last year, just before she went off to college.

My wife will take a short, easy hike with me on occasion, but her interests are much more sedentary and intellectual. My son would rather play lacrosse.

Also, my 83 year old father doesn't climb mountains but loves to walk in the woods, and my 83 year old mother would rather stay home or go out to dinner or work on her genealogical research.

Oh, you probably meant NON-family friends, right? OK, well, hikers almost entirely. Some here on Views, some not. (SK, I seem to fit in quite a few of your categories--do I qualify as a Maine neighbor? :D )

We have hiking friends.
We have kayaking friends.
We have sailing friends.

SK,please note that they all qualify as drinking friends too! :D Multi-tasking at it's best!

Some of our hiking friends kayak-some of our kayaking friends hike. All(almost) of our friends are hard core "outdoorsy" types.
And my best friend (hikes,kayaks,sails,xc skis,snowshoes with me)is the amazing Mrs KD.
There she is,last Sunday,standing on the deck freeing a line,while the boat is heeled over about 25o in a 20kt blast!

And about that retirement home...when you get to old to hike,you can still paddle. If you can't paddle any more....let's all go sailing!

I would rather see someone come up with a way to put 6 weekends in every month! :D

Its kind of interesting, as I have lots of interests and hobbies beyond hiking, and it seems as if my friends are starting to be put into slots, almost wish that some would cross the various lines, but who knows, they may wish I shared their other interests as well

and yes some people think that certain things I do may seem crazy, but I think things people do are also crazy, I especially run into this at work, where despite having the same job, my co-workers share few other interests, as a result eveeryone gets along, but no one really hangs out outside of work, and no one seems to feel bad about this