Hiking with dogs - Question

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlexTal

Reaction score
I recently just adopted a St. Bernard. She's wonderful and loves to follow me wherever I go. I, of course, want to take her hiking.

Does anyone have any good resources for information regarding hiking with dogs? Any sites or book that you'd recommend would be nice.

Also, I'm going to be out with her in the whites from the 6th to the 9th. I know she's in good enough shape to take hour long walks and has more than enough energy to do anything else for the rest of the day. I doubt she has had any experience with a pack so I will be carrying all her stuff. That's fine with me and I know the shape I'm in, but I don't want to push her too hard and have an upset dog on the trail. Does anyone have any recommendations for a 2-3 day winter hike that gets some good elevations but aren't too steep?

Let me know and thanks in advance!

The thread which bobandgeri referenced is a good one. I'd add that your situation is a bit different from the thread in that the dog is new to you, and you haven't indicated its age nor perceived fitness level.

Having said that - St Bernard's and Newfie's are closely related (Newfie's helped re-invigorate the St Bernard line about 150 years so hence the close resemblance). Chances are, she'll be fine in the cold, but keep a watchful eye.

The very first time you hike hills with her, I'd strongly urge you to go only 2-3 miles, especially in winter. Make it a joyful, slow, playful time, so that she immediately associates the mountains with good times. Then, watch her carefully the next day - don't take her hiking - and determine how well she did - is she stiff, what's her attitude, etc - and let that guide you in the future.

In a phrase - go slow with her. Above all - don't force her out on a 3 day winter hike the first time out. Doing so will not endear you to the extensive dog-loving community here. :)

Hiking with dogs

The highpointers of the US have some interest in hiking with canine companions...try the website America's Roof.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I will be looking in to them all.

The thread which bobandgeri referenced is a good one. I'd add that your situation is a bit different from the thread in that the dog is new to you, and you haven't indicated its age nor perceived fitness level.

Having said that - St Bernard's and Newfie's are closely related (Newfie's helped re-invigorate the St Bernard line about 150 years so hence the close resemblance). Chances are, she'll be fine in the cold, but keep a watchful eye.

The very first time you hike hills with her, I'd strongly urge you to go only 2-3 miles, especially in winter. Make it a joyful, slow, playful time, so that she immediately associates the mountains with good times. Then, watch her carefully the next day - don't take her hiking - and determine how well she did - is she stiff, what's her attitude, etc - and let that guide you in the future.

In a phrase - go slow with her. Above all - don't force her out on a 3 day winter hike the first time out. Doing so will not endear you to the extensive dog-loving community here. :)

To answer the questions, I'm not entirely sure on Sadie's age. The Animal Control Officer said she just turned four. Sadie was in his brother's house before mine and in an abusive home before that. (Honestly, I don't think his brother's home was much better).

She is in decent shape. I haven't been able to judge it by much more than hour long walks followed by some playing. I walk her a good amount every day. She's really laid back at home, sleeping a ton. She's sleeping next to me as I type this.

My plan was to do a few miles a day and to do some hanging out. When we're out and not walking, she seems to want to do nothing more than to stand next to me or chase around with me.

At her last home, she spent almost all her time outside. She definitely loves being inside, but she adores her time outside. She waits for me to let her know it's time to play and then she dances around like an idiot.

Even though she is a Saint, I don't really know how she'll handle the cold. I'm assuming it's likely better or as good as I can, but I don't know that. Three days probably is too long. I keep telling my girlfriend that I just want some time for a father/daughter weekend haha. Maybe I'll take her up to Sawyer Pond for a night and back down the following day. I just hope Sawyer River Road is still open at that time. That's a short good hike.

I've been with her for about 2 months. She's already quite bonded to me. She listens to me very well and always wants to be with me. I think with some good training and some time, she'll be a fantastic hiking partner.

My Dog was a rescue puppy as well (born on the other side of the river). I started him with real short walks on the trails close by. Another place you could try is Bridal Veil Falls as it is less populated than Sawyer Pond (which I nick named party central!). I took my pup out there for his first overnighter. Then we did small hikes like Willard and Sugarloaf. Eventually we did longer and harder hikes as he progressed. This I will say there is no one I would rather hike with than my Dog!

A major factor in how well a Saint will handle temperatures is coat type. Is Sadie a rough or a smooth? Even so, individual dogs have their own preferences and tolerance levels. I've known Greyhounds who frolicked in the snow, and Newfs who didn't want to go outside if temps were below freezing. Listen to your dog.

I'd also get her thoroughly checked out before you begin any serious (more than a few miles daily) hiking with her. Cardiac and orthopedic issues are not uncommon among Saints. It's worth noting that drafting (dog pulling a cart, wagon, or pulk) workshops I have attended required veterinary certification that a dog is free of cardiac problems - and drafting is a less physically demanding sport than several miles of hiking.

Above all, if she's cleared for athletic endeavors, bring her into condition gradually over months. Dogs suffer just as much from weekend warrior symptoms as their people - but they have a harder time telling us about it.

I have done a fair amount of hiking with my two springers. One hard learned lesson; my 13 year old, now retired from hiking, developed frostbite on her paw pads. Just a dumb mistake on my part. I have since started applying Bag Balm quite liberally to their paws for any extended winter walks. It works great to both protect from cold and to help prevent snow buildup on their feet. Good luck with Sadie on the trail!!

Dogs on Winter Hikes

I have been wanting to take my golden hiking. He is 5 and in good physical condition. I took him out last year for a winter walk on Lincoln Woods. He loved it until he got snow balls attached to the fir between his paw pads. The last thead, quote below, mentioned Bag Balm, where can i get some and does anyone use the paw boots?

I have done a fair amount of hiking with my two springers. One hard learned lesson; my 13 year old, now retired from hiking, developed frostbite on her paw pads. Just a dumb mistake on my part. I have since started applying Bag Balm quite liberally to their paws for any extended winter walks. It works great to both protect from cold and to help prevent snow buildup on their feet. Good luck with Sadie on the trail!!

Bag balm

I haven't actually used this, but I can see it being as good as Musher's Secret, not much difference in it's make up, except more wax in Musher's. You can get it just about anywhere at this time of year. Try Wal-greens or Rite Aid or whatever they have in your area. You might have to ask, but they'll know what it is.

Check this thread:

http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26377

Also, the snowballs between pads form depending on snow/ice conditions. For most hikes my dog doesn't have this problem, but, depending on conditions, she does get it occasionally. Bag balm or Musher's can help, but won't prevent this. If you have the dog groomed regularly, have the groomer cut the fur between pads short, this helps a lot.

KDT

I have been wanting to take my golden hiking. He is 5 and in good physical condition. I took him out last year for a winter walk on Lincoln Woods. He loved it until he got snow balls attached to the fir between his paw pads. The last thead, quote below, mentioned Bag Balm, where can i get some and does anyone use the paw boots?

Bag Balm is available at both Shaws and Stop and Shop. The last jar I purchased was at Zeb's in North Conway. There is another product available similar to Bag Balm called Musher's Wax. Google it, its sold by many online retailers. Works but is pricey. One other thing you can do is keep the hair in between the paw pads clipped as short as you can. This definately helps slow snow balling.
I tried Paw Boots but the dogs wouldn't tollerate them, they were off within a 1/4 mile. Maybe you'll have better luck but I've never met anyone who claimed they worked.

Bag Balm is .3% 8-hydroxy quinoline sulfate in a petrolatum, lanonlin base. (From the can. Also http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bag_Balm .)

* 8-hydroxy quinoline sulfate is an antiseptic, disinfectant, pesticide http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oxyquinoline http://msds.chem.ox.ac.uk/HY/8-hydroxyquinoline.html
* petrolatum is also known as petroleum jelly (common brand vaseline)

Since this application is waterproofing furry feet, petrolatum, lanolin, or a mixture might do as well and be cheaper.

Doug

I think you can throw out the typical hiking recommendations when it comes to a breed that large. Take it slow and easy and make sure the dog likes it and can physically handle the rugged physical activity.

As Doug pointed out, the base of Bag Balm is petroleum jelly. The base of Mushers Wax is beeswax.

If I was seeking a substitute for Mushers Wax, I'd look at at another product which uses beeswax as a base, like SnoSeal.

Keeping the fur clipped between the toes goes a long way in preventing problems. Most dogs don't want you fooling with their feet, but will accept it better over time. Have found a good time to do this is when your dog's tired - like after a hike, and they're snoozing.

For some dogs, clipping fur from between the toes can be helpful. With the past several dogs I have had, I have found that clipping the fur actually results in greater problems with snow/ice accumulating in the feet. Then again, the dogs I've had have all been designed for travel in winter conditions.

It's worth a try. Whether it will work is another question.

Bag Balm vs Musher's

I had never heard of anyone using Bag Balm, but it sounded like a logical substitution. Not so sure after seeing Doug's post. We've used vaseline in a pinch when we were out of Musher's. We've learned that we have to time the application just right or no matter what we put on her feet, Emma will lie down and lick it off. Not so sure I want her ingesting something that has ingredients used as a pesticide, ie. Bag Balm. We have to time it so it goes on right before we start hiking so she doesn't have time to lick it off, but before her running around starts to build snowballs. Tricky when you're trying to get you own things together to start out.

KDT