Hot Weather and Black Flies

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brien

Reaction score
I know it's a few weeks until Black Fly season gets into full swing but I was wondering if the recent warm/hot weather streak awoke a few early risers? I'll be stomping around the northern Lake George region and was wondering if DEET or a head net needed to be packed. I generally don't bother with such things prior to Mother's Day but with this recent weather, I was just wondering...,

They were out in full force in New Jersey last week. Their season must start earlier than in the north. They weren't biting too bad, though. Do White Mountain black flies have sharper teeth?

There were black flies on the summit of South Baldface last Friday (April 17) -- just a few -- but enough to remind one that winter is over.

Sigh...

Last edited:
I think you'll be okay. They're in the pre-biting stage here in SE NH, about 30 miles inland. A co-worker was bitten yesterday, but he's in a warmer area nearer the coast. With the passage of the very warm air out of your area, I think you'll be bite-less. JMHO.

Flies swarming around me when I was leaving the Mittersill parking lot last night. Not biting, though. A few near Smarts Sunday.

Them's swarming and biting in Pawtuckaway as of yesterday...not fun!

My husband and his dad are doing some work at a house in the northern Lake George region this week. I heard from him today and he said that the the blackflies were bad. Bad enough that Dad offered him a headnet. This from a man who will freely hammer and bleed at the same time rather than swat.

Supposedly, the weather is getting colder and more windy tonight into tomorrow. That should slow them down temporarily. :(

Swarming and biting in SW NH. Had to umpire a little league game last night and I am scratching like crazy today. Hard to call a game when there are lots of little buggers crawling on your glasses!

Last edited: