Hot Weather clothing for hiking - moved from Q&A

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snowbird22

Reaction score
Hot Weather clothing for hiking

With the recent heat and more heat to come what do you think is the best way to dress for hiking in hot weather? What kind of clothing? It may seem a little straight forward meaning light clothing. But is wearing running shorts better than cargo shorts? Tank tops or t- shirts? Does it matter? Just things like that. Thanks

In this heat, lightweight nylon shorts (loose cargo style) and a cotton tank top or a very, very lightweight loose fitting polypro tank top. In my pack is always poly pro so I don't worry about sweating in the cotton. Hair up nine months of the year.

snowbird22 said:
But is wearing running shorts better than cargo shorts? Tank tops or t- shirts? Does it matter? Just things like that.
The above might be splitting hairs...

I use nylon zip-off leg pants, a polyester moisture wicking short sleeve tee shirt, and polyester mousture wicking underwear. The pants (in shorts mode) ventillate well and the polyester fabric retains far less moisture than does, for instance, cotton.

I personally prefer a tee shirt to protect my shoulders from the sun and my back from pack abrasion, but wear what ever shirt (or not) you want.

Running shorts might be a bit cooler than cargo shorts, but again, suit yourself.

Just my opinion.

Doug

I am with Doug here, and am attired the same way, unless I'm trail running. One thing I have noticed with the running shorts is that I tend to chafe pretty badly whereas I don't with the zip-offs.

Also: 2 layers of socks, coolmax polyester next to the skin and nylon outer.

I prefer to wear the mesh shorts and the sleeveless shirts. I tend to feel that shirts w/ sleeves tend to hold the armpit heat in. Regular shirts also give you a bad farmer's tan, a definite no-no.

DougPaul said:
...I personally prefer a tee shirt to protect my shoulders from the sun and my back from pack abrasion, but wear what ever shirt (or not) you want....Doug
I actually split the difference and wear a sleeveless t-shirt. Keeps the sun off shoulders, don't have to worry about pack straps chafing, good ventilation.

If you are hiking near streams, be sure to have a clean, cotton bandana. Get it wet in the stream and wrap it around your neck. Or just wet your hat, shirt or whatever and put 'em back on. Remember how important it is to not get wet in the winter because of water speeding heat loss, and just reverse that thinking.

Matt

Lightweight nylon shorts, which double as swim shorts for a dip. A rattly-ole cotton t-shirt. One that can soak up as much stinky sweat as possible, and will catch even the slightest breeze for cooling down.

A polypro t-shirt in the pack to change into should the weather get a bit cooler above treeline.

I wear a lightweight Merino wool T-shirt and Smartwool boxers under Patagonia Island Hopper (light, baggy nylon) shorts. I've tried several types of polyester shirts and briefs and didn't like any of them in hot weather.

I will usually just wear a mesh base layer or coolmax baselayer... However, they don't seem to do much in terms of insect resistance, I've caught mosquitos biting right through my VfTT baselayer that I got from this site and others too!

Jay

Patagonia Baggies and a Coolmax sleeveless T, which protects the shoulders but allows a lot more circulation than a standard T. A brimmed hat and SPF 30 for sun above treeline, and that wet bandana.

Silk boxer shorts and Dristar tanktop. I buy regular tee shirts and cut the sleeves so the backpack straps don't touch any skin. ;)

My humble opinion

I wear EMS's Tech-Wick shirts (Go-Lite very similar), even when just coming off, they seem dry almost instantly with any breeze. I have a pair of Northface lite nylon shorts with mesh inside - good for sure. Otherwise I agree with the poly briefs, from EMS.
:cool:

I don't care what fashion dictates...

I still cover up from head to toe to protect myself not only from the sun, but from biting insects, scratches, and irritating plants (nettles, poison ivy, etc).
I may look odd, but at least I don't get a sun burn....

I love my under armor loose shirts, they take the sweat right off you. There is nothing worse to me than hiking in a sweat drenched shirt, cotton is definetly a no no for me.

Sheomet said:
I love my under armor loose shirts, they take the sweat right off you. There is nothing worse to me than hiking in a sweat drenched shirt, cotton is definetly a no no for me.

I agree-I never wear cotton when doing any strenuous activity. But I do like using a cotton bandana.