How much snow did you get...and a big storm next week

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grouseking

Reaction score
Well I live in Lebanon and even we changed to snow for over an hour last night! Temps were in the upper 30s so it was way too warm to add up, but that made me wonder how much snow fell up north. I heard about some pretty nice amounts in VT, but as usual the reports were spotty in NH. Randolph stood out with 4 inches. How much did you all get up there?

Also, Monday, the mtns are going to get dumped on thanks to a low pressure developing off the southern New England coast. I betcha some places up high get 6-12+ inches. If all works out well, the valleys will get some nice snow as well, including down here in Lebanon. Then its going to be cold, and occasionally snowy the entire week in the mtns. And that will add up! I'm excited, and winter enthusiasts should be too. It looks like full winter gear is pretty much going to be the name of the game from now on! :D :D :D

grouseking

I'm down in central Massachusetts and we didn't get any snow. I sure am looking forward to it. I dug out my crampons and ice axe the other day so that I have everything ready to go.

Maybe just and inch or two in the higher elevations around Killington Vt.

Looks really pretty though (especially for me who was stuck inside working today looking out the windows at the snow dusted peaks!)

In Waterville Valley we got less than an inch. The mountains are still covered with snow and there is some scattered around outside the house. I just know this is the year we get dumped on(I hope!)

Nice! Still looks like snow for Monday up in the mtns, but the more significant stuff will come down after the actual storm leaves us and upslope sets up. I still think some places will be getting over 10 inches thruout next week. :D Who's happy? I'm happy.

Any other pictures??

I was out of state all day yesterday, so I don't know if it snowed here in Madison, NH, but there is no trace on the ground now.

Happy Trails :)

Spent the night at Mittersil Friday night, had heavy thunderstorm with driving rain and an awesome light show (lightning). Rain turned to snow approx. 7PM and watched it snow till I crashed about 1130. Woke to a few inches of wet snow.

Hiked Skookumchuck Trail Saturday morning and had about 2 inches at trail head and about 4 inches at treeline.

Bring on ol man winter.

Happy Trails

Sticks

There was a couple of flakes above 3000' in the Shandankan Valley in the Catskills this weekend! Just a touch..

Jay

4-6 inches of heavy wet snow on southern sections of Mt. Mansfield. Enough to ski on! The summit probably got more.

From where I was at looks like some lucky souls were making tracks on Cannon....... :eek: must have had the ol rock skis out.

If I had mine with me I would have been making trac's as well. :D

giggy said:
whats the story with the big storm for this week??? I can't find any mention of this anywhere?

Neither can I...but this is already turning into your typical early season snowfall up in the mountains with the potential for it to go much longer this week. The Mount Washington website comments say it could snow all week up there which would help add to the amounts. The storm of this morning didn't really come to fruition in the lower elevations, although it is snowing in Berlin as I type this with temps near freezing. Again, this snow will fall where we want it...the mountains, and there will probably be upslope conditions all this week. This is before another storm comes for this weekend, and we'll see what happens with that one.

Examples...Jay Peak had 6 inches this weekend with up to a foot (supposedly) at the summit. Only report I could find..but as we know Jay likes to boast there big amounts so there u have it. A quick look across other ski resorts in NH and VT shows snow on the ground with more on the way. So this is definitely something to think about if people are hiking this week, and next weekend. Even if its 50 at home, it will be a totally different story in the mtns.

From the Gray Maine forecast discussion:

"low pressure strengthens over the Canadian Maritimes Tuesday
night...remaining nearly stationary through Thursday. This sets up
a broad northwest flow at the surface and aloft. NAM/GFS/UKMET/Gem
all agree on this pattern...with most significant model
differences due to model resolution. Since model consensus
supports the dynamics going into the nam12...favor the higher
resolution for qpfs and probability of precipitation. A persistent and moist northwest
flow favors an upsloping event...with highest qpfs upslope in an
northwest flow.
This event will likely bring accumulating snows to elevations above
1000 feet. NAM/GFS thicknesses marginal through this event. Higher
elevations (2000 ft+) should remain all snow...with the valleys
mixing with rain during the day Wednesday and Thursday"

Meaning: It's gonna snow a lot up there this week!

grouseking

Last edited:
We are in line for a major upslope event Tuesday-Thursday, then a coastal low for more snow in the peaks for this weekend. The whites will keep white for a good amount of time after this, lets just hope it doesn't warm up. If I were to give early estimates I would say a general 6-12 inches of snow in areas above 2000 feet. This is going to be pretty exciting. -Mattl

giggy said:
what are you lads thinking for sat - rain or snow at elevation???

Its a really tough forecast right now. If the low stays off the coast, it will be a cold rain below 2500 feet, mixing with and changing to mostly snow above that. But as it looks, the storm may be pulled west, bring in warmer air at all levels, and keep everybody raining, except maybe for the highest peaks like Mt Washington. Regardless of what happens, the precip will prob start as snow or mixed rain and sleet, and then end as snow as another upslope sets up after the storm. It would be a shame to lose all that snow the favored upslope areas are getting right now thanks to possible rain, but I guess its only October. :)