How much snow did you get?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pleeeeze, can we have just a few tenths more?

6.3" in Shrewsbury MA then an hour of sleet and loads of freezing rain (a good .25 anyway). I hear we may do better in about 10 days with an abrupt flip-flop with lots of cold. Maybe at least it'll be back to normal. Temps are way easier to predict than snow though, that's why incantations and spells are most useful. If we can make the Red Sox win, we can figure out how to make it snow... maybe. :confused:
Weatherman

There's about 5 inches sitting outside on my deck in the Kearsarge-Sunapee region of New Hampshire, though I think its started to rain now. At least I don't have to see dead grass everywhere for a while.

this is updated today..

Backcountry Conditions:

Snow Depth at Lake Colden: 19 inches
Snow Depth at 4,000 ft.: 2-1/2 - 3 feet
Surface Conditions: Powder
Comments: 8 inches of new snow at Lake Colden, and Avalanche Pass may just barely be skiable. Marcy Dam and Fish Pond truck trails plus Newcomb Lake Road still have a base and are good skiing after this new snow. Whiteface Highway had some long bare sections in the mid-section. We had hoped this storm would not have much wind, but a second storm that gave us an extra inch or two overnight also brought wind, so there may still be bare sections. Other possibilities include the Hays Brook Truck Trail north of Paul Smiths and the roads north and south of Little Tupper Lake. Remember that skis or snowshoes are required for travel in the High Peaks when the snow depth is 8" or greater.

We got about 1-2 inches of slush here in northern NJ (western Passaic Cty) and it's all melting rapidly now too or just become ice. I'm sure they got more up in Sussex/Warren cty.

You can always use your snowmachine in the sand too down at the shore, though the beach rangers would probably frown upon it!

Jay

I traversed NH north to southeast this morning (by car, that is). There's more snow south than in the Whites. Below 2000', Franconia got about 1", the Notch got 2-3" (more at higher elevations, I'm sure, but it was too socked in to see), and southern parts of the state 3-6". I actually saw a guy working with his snowblower in Concord! I used a broom at home. Another glancing blow for the western Whites. Sigh.

snow on Mt. Major (southern NH Lakes region )

Just did a nice snowshoe loop over the summit. Wore the 'shoes from the parking lot and back. Excellent!!! :D

Anyone have a report from the Catskills. Hunter's website says only 1-2 inches of new snow. Could this be right?

Rik said:
Anyone have a report from the Catskills. Hunter's website says only 1-2 inches of new snow. Could this be right?
Rik, the 1-2 inches at Hunter must be from Thursday night. On Thursday morning they had reported 6-8 inches. The largest Catskills storm total I saw was 10 inches reported at West Shokan as seen at the Albany NOAA site (now the total column, as there had been no snow on the ground previously). 6-10 inches (valley locations) seems to have been the norm for the Catskills with a crust of freezing rain on top of that. Typically there are a few more inches at summits.

Thanks. I knew that could not be right. Looks like maybe a little more tomorrow?

This isn't working out right at all: New 'shoes, new jacket, new ice ax, but do I get to go out and play in it? NOooo. I have to stay home and shovel the driveway. Last week when I packed my gear to go out the next morning I got a honker sinus infection, now that I'm a little better, the weather whacks me. I can't win! Of Course Sunday will probably be a perfect day, except that I have commitments everywhere but outdoors.
I must be doing this wrong. I hope the rest of you enjoy the snow and make the best of a great weekend.
Happy Hiking,
Tom
BTW, Mountain Trails (Tannersville) is reporting 7-8 inches of new snow and they will (fianlly) be partially open on Saturday.

Western CT

About 6-8" with a nice crust @ 1000' as of Friday AM, 5-7" predicted for tomorrow! :)

Hang in there Tom, hope ya feel better... Seems like there is going to be a mixed base in the catskills for a bit... crusty snow on ice. Doesn't look good for the lower hudson valley for any significant snow, another warm front is heading in here on Monday, temps into the mid 50s :eek: for Mon-Thurs.

Might head out to the ice caves in Ellenville today when Fred stops by, it looks like today's freezing rain is changing back to snow up in the New Paltz area by 10am... I hope Rt 52 is OK! Anybody remember the rockslide they had there...2 or 3 years ago, closed the road for a bit...

Jay

We got 6 inches in High Point area Sussex county NJ with 1/4 inch of ice on top. Today it is all freezing rain with a possibilty of some snow by the end.

I was able to get some XC skiing in before the chage to freezing rain. I made a great 1 mile loop using my fields. Only the second time this season on the skies. Not a good winter so far. We should have at least a foot by now in Sussex County. :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Last edited:
I'm about half an hour SE of snowshoe near Harriman, maybe 2" here with a very icy crust making for crappy hiking conditions. To top it off we're looking at high 50s next week which means mud galore, sigh.

Looking forward to heading up to the Whites again...

We now have about 6"-7" of fresh, dry powder in the valleys of the White Mountains. Yesterday, I hiked along the north bank of the Swift River, from Rocky Gorge to Bear Notch Road. Lots of coyote tracks. Water levels are back to normal, lots of big ice chunks up on the banks.