How much water do you carry ?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It depends on the length of the hike, how exposed it is to the sun, how much water is available on the hike, etc. I generally carry 2 liters to start with and then fill bottles as I need more. In the grand canyon or in other dry environments, I have carried over a gallon from the start.

sli74

It definitely depends on the hike, but I drink a ton of water. I bring 40-60 oz on short, flat hikes and much more on larger ones. I average 100 oz of water and 32 oz of gatorade when I do something like Washington. And then I fill up at the top! I should really invest in a water filter, as all that liquid is quite heavy. But at least I'm prepared.

grouseking

Depends on when I leave. I usually load up before hitting the trail, and if I'll be gone for 8 hours, usually only 1 Nalgene on an overcast day. On sunny days, longer hikes, or if I'm cooking lunch, I bring 2 or one and a filter. Depends on the trail and conditions.

As people are saying, it depends. On one of our hiking days in the Grand Canyon we each carried six quarts of water uphill for a dry camp. In the Adirondacks, if I know there are a lot of reliable streams available, one quart will do fine (or I'll fill up my 2-liter Platypus). If you're in a dry place (Great Range, Dixes, Tongue Mt. Range, for example), you'll need more. I carry a filter, and now also a McNett emergency filter, plus some PolarPure. At least some of my drinking is Gatorade.

Usually three liters, sometimes more depending on available water & distance, on occasion I'll carry less if I'm following a stream or there are lots of places to refill. Under 7 miles two, 8-15 three, and longer or drier than another bottle or a camel back

Inwinter, add a thermos of a hot beverage.

I developed a Talent after visiting New Mexico. I now drink a full Nalgee of water before I start the hike. This one is quite a challenge when its cold out, but over 70 or so I can usually chug one down in two attempts. This leads to some impresive trailside feats after a cup of coffe or two on the drive up....moving on, I usually carry a 2 1/2 nalgeen's worth of water (bladder). and I make my dog carry his own =), usually around 16 ounces or so.

If I know there is no reliable water to be found, I will carry a little extra.

water

JasonPatrikz said:
Just wondering on how much water you carry on average for a day hike ?

I carry 32 oz. Did carry more, but added to the weight of my pack. Now instead I bring a water filtration bottle if there are streams around.

Does anyone have a favorite water-filtration system that they use?

My rough guess is 1 liter per 5 miles. Factor in humidity, temperature, availability of water along the way, etc. and adjust accordingly.

Allen in the ADKs: 90+, humid day, 18-20 miles, 5 liters, plus more at the trailhead when the hike was over.

Depends, and you need to research things a bit. As a ballpark I start with 2 liters in my Platypus, and my younger dog carries two 20 oz. bottles in her back pack, for a 12 miler. I carry a PUR filter and recently received a Miox (much lighter), but I seldom use them as what I list above is plenty for 12 miles. If the weather is warm and humid I will want more water. On reading the above I realize that I must drink alot more than most because I finish it all, and at the end I am usually parched. Generally, beer is better at that point though.

Generally, if you are going up a ridge you can expect things to be dryer and if you are going up a revine water will be more available. If the weather is warm and humid you will want more water. Most trail descriptions in the AMC mountain guides give an indication of water availability, springs, brooks, and huts (make sure they're open :p ) so it is a good idea to read those over.

The discussion of dry camps, and how much water to bring, brings back memories of hiking out west which I have not done in over 25 years.

Last edited:
I carry 48 oz. at the start of every day hike, after drinking a quart before the hike. There was a thread about the health risk of over hydrating (hyperhydration?), which was very informative. There is a risk of imbalance of oxygen count in the blood, very roughly speaking. Now I drink only a quart before hiking.

I carry the iodine pills and a little packet of Gatorade powder for emergency use.

Happy Trails!

For an average day hike, two liters. If more than two liters are needed and I'll be passing water sources, I'll carry one liter and a PUR Hiker filter.

I'll drink a pint of water before the hike and try to drink about 4 oz. every 30 minutes.

For an average 15 mile Adirondack winter (don't hike non-winter) day hike I carry 3 liters of Gatorade. I've carried as much as 4 liters of Gatorade for 18 miles and I drink most of it. I have hypertension and sweat heavily so hydration is very important for me. Next season I'm going to try carrying straight water and using Goo to replace electrolytes.

hypertension and Gatorade?

Iceman said:
For an average 15 mile Adirondack winter (don't hike non-winter) day hike I carry 3 liters of Gatorade. I've carried as much as 4 liters of Gatorade for 18 miles and I drink most of it. I have hypertension and sweat heavily so hydration is very important for me. Next season I'm going to try carrying straight water and using Goo to replace electrolytes.

Is Gatorade a good idea for people with hypertension?

I'm no expert here and I've heard differing opinions. Some say we all need to replace sodium on an hourly basis. But a doctor told me that if you're eating a reasonably balanced diet, you'd have to sweat at an olympic level to _need_ to drink something with as much salt as Gatorade. (Also some people with hypertension take a diuretic - basically to cause them to urinate out the salt complicating their hypertension!)

I normally carry 4 liters of gatorade, and usually drink 3 at least. I sweat allot so I need it. I also carry a filter. I have carried 5 liters before (Dix Range hike), and drank all of it and replenished a liter on the trip out. I have also seen people take less and do fine. Temperatures obviously play a major part in how much fluid I consume.

Lots and lots...

Minimum would be 3 liters for a moderate dayhike...
Lately, I carry 100 oz bladder of water and 40 ounces of Gatorade on warmer days...I carry a filter on longer hikes with good water sources, but would prefer not to have to stop and filter.
The warmer it gets the more Gatorade I drink...usually diluted 50 % with water - I use the powder and I carry extra portions of the powder in ziplocs.
For emergency use I carry Potable Aqua tablets...have not needed them yet...but being thirsty is a real drag on a hike, so I like to be prepared.

As for hypertension and Gatorade - I am not a doctor, or a physiologist, but I would think that the excess sodium in sports drinks would be used by the body when it is excercising excessively...I doubt it is an issue, but I would like to hear a real opinion.

jrichard said:
But a doctor told me that if you're eating a reasonably balanced diet, you'd have to sweat at an olympic level to _need_ to drink something with as much salt as Gatorade.
You don't have to drink electrolyte drinks full strength--many prefer them to be about 1/2 strength. And some hikers do sweat heavily. (The amount of salt lost in sweat varies significantly across individuals.)

It looks to me like the amount of salt and sugar in some [many?] commercial electrolyte drinks tends to be "as much as is usable" while assuming that you consume nothing else. If you also eat additional food, it may be advisable to dilute one's electrolyte drink (either in the bottle or one's stomach).

As for the original question, in the NE, 1-3 liters depending on the details. More in the desert.

Doug

I carry between 1 1/2 quarts on shorter hikes to 2 1/4 quarts on really big ones. I also drink up to a quart of water just before starting on the trail. Cameling Up works very well for me.