Hurricane this weekend?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking, how is this storm different from the normal high winds in the White Mountains area? Are these winds going to occur at lower altitudes to? It seems when Mt. Washington has high winds, they're only noticeable at altitude.

Mwo

I'm sorry if I'm starting a thread inside a thread or hijacking this one. I did look at the link, but I didn't scroll down far enough to see that all the things I linked were already there. Sorry. I've got an infatuation with the Obs and I like to extoll the virtues of their website and the Obs in general. As far as infringement on their intellectual property, I'm not sure. I'll get back to you on that one. I do admit that it is easier having it all on one page. I should have kept scrolling, but I got sidetracked with the metar readings. I think we're done confusing each other, didn't mean no offense! I should have known senior members might have a thing or two I could learn. It was more of a wondering why then a questioning why, although it may not have come out that way. Anyway, as Dylan once sang(?)" You go your way, and I'll go mine." We'll both get the same info, just different ways. Doesn't make us bad people. ;)

Anyway, on another note, I'm not gonna let a little hurricane keep us out of the mountains tomorrow. We're heading for Garfield. Good cover 'til just below the summit. Might get blown off the top, but it's a short way back to the woods. From what I'm reading here we should be alright, no? Hope to hit the Garfield Trail around 9:30am if anyone's interested.

KDT

Mongoose said:
I was thinking, how is this storm different from the normal high winds in the White Mountains area? Are these winds going to occur at lower altitudes to? It seems when Mt. Washington has high winds, they're only noticeable at altitude.

It is going to be breezy everywhere tomorrow, even up north. It won't be as windy in the north country in the lower elevations, but above treeline, the winds will probably crank, especially in the afternoon as the storm gets closer and gets stronger.

I'm going to skip this weekend. Rain isn't my thing, especially if the temps go below freezing at night after getting wet.

Waumbek said:
But be aware that the western Whites, e.g., Kinsman Notch area, etc., is still recovering from the April '07 Nor'easter. After a breezy night this week, new trees were down. The wind was not excessive. Weakened trees are still coming down without major provocation--choose your tent site carefully.

Excellent point, Waumbek. I have been noticing that more and more birch limbs from trees killed in the January 1998 ice storm are now rotting and falling onto trails all over the Whites (at least at elevations impacted by the ice storm). Time to think about wearing a helmet, like BSP requires for hiking above treeline on Katahdin in winter? :confused:

Bagged it today....the high summits forecast posted about 30 minutes ago had 50-70 mph winds and wind chills about 20 above zero, plus rain or mixed precip. I don't mind that weather if it happens after I hit the trail, but when I know in advance it's coming and I have to drive a three hours to get to it....I can find other stuff to do, like watch BC and the Pats .

Last edited:
People might get away with hiking early in the morning, though its quite chilly our right now. Winds will prob remain light for a little bit before ramping up this afternoon in a big way, as the storm gets closer. Gusts are already surpassing 50 mph on Nantucket!

It's 41 and quite breezy outside Manchester right now. I'm thinking I could have gone early this morning at this point... Oh well. More honey-do items get knocked off the list.

Tim

Winds are currently only 30mph on Mt Washington with a temp around freezing and clear visibility on the webcams. Better there than here; that's a twist!

Hurricane

Track is now forecast to be considerably west of original predictions as it passes through the Gulf of Maine/Bay of Fundy. This could mean a higher chance of snow in the Whites as the winds wrap around after the storm passes. :D

Weather on channel 25 just said northern Maine was expected to get a few inches of snow ... that the leading edge of the storm up there had sufficiently cold air.

The storm is remarkably well-delineated, and not quite reaching the Whites yet, though slowly moving that way, in this 3:20pm radar image:
nov-3-2007-storm.gif

I hiked today

We hiked the Garfield Trail to the summit. Although the skies were overcast all day, the woods were dead calm. At about 3800' we got a slight breeze where the switchback exposes you to the north. There was a very light dusting of snow in isolated spots near the summit, and a thin crust of ice on the puddles. The temp was around 40. At the summit there was a 20-25 MPH breeze from the southeast, not the direction I expected it to come from. This made the wind chills uncomfortable. We got down around 4PM and saw no rain until we got down around Plymouth on 93S.

KDT

PS: I found out that the Crownweather site is maintained by a longtime member of the Observatory. With that being the case, I guess I'm OK with people using that site instead of the OBS site, not that anyone should care what I think!

Kevin said:
I think we're done confusing each other, didn't mean no offense!
K, J & E, I certainly didn't take offense. I figured you were expressing commendable MWOBS loyalty! ;) That's a good thing.

As for any copyright infringement, we would have to know what the licensing arrangements are. Crownweather.com certainly credits their sources and uses the sources' trademarks, so I suspect there is some kind of arrangement among the parties. I don't think I'll be spending a whole lot of time tracking down the documents. :rolleyes: Besides, what am I doing working on a Saturday night???? :eek:

Go West, young man

I hiiked Killington Saturday. From the summit we could see the Whites, and to the east there was a very long line of well-delineated cloud that looked like it might be the edge of Noel.

Photo 1 and photo 2

It was a nice hike, all the leaves are off the trees so I crunched along through bare open forest. Not many people on the LT but it was pretty busy near Killington where the Bucklin trail comes in. Pretty breezy up top, most folks took their pictures and headed back down.

We lucked out

It actually turned out to be a rather nice day for a hike.

:D :D :D

Sue

I was in NYC for the US Marathon Olympic Team race trials as a volunteer for the event. Its predicted to be winds at 40 mph, heavy rain up- to 2".

I was loaded for bear, heavy rains, cold, winds, etc!

Turned out to be cool, cloudy and mild winds and later partly sunny. I sweated liike a pig!

Meteoroligists have the best job, "well we were wrong, sorry you changed your plans! Next forecast is tonight on WMUR!"

Agghh let me get the federal hurricane guy, he is right about every 3 to 6 years, he picks up a 6 figure+ salary for being right oh 10% of the time!!!!!! :eek: In the real world if you were right 10 % of the time you'd be Fir#*+ !!!!