Is Getting to Imp via the Carters currently possible?

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B the Hiker

VFTT Supporter
Reaction score
Greetings all,

The plan was for two of us to hike up Nineteen Mile Brook trail and Carter Dome trail to the Carter-Moriah trail on Friday (aka, New Year's Eve), and then go over to Imp Shelter for the evening. It's a long day in the best of conditions.

To be honest, I'm not certain it is currently feasible.

Nineteen Mile Brook is broken out, and I heard word there were tracks up the Carter Dome Trail, but I haven't seen any evidence that anything is broken out above Zeta Pass, and that's a lot of work for two people with heavy backpacks.

What do people think? Putting aside the macho b.s. and talking seriously, can two strong hikers get to Imp via Nineteen Mile Brook on Friday, or will it simply take us too long and be too demanding?

I would love to hear your serious thoughts on this question!

Brian

Very likely to be possible and feasible with the traffic that has gone through there today. Even if Ryan's strides are twice as long every other footstep would be packed out!;)

Really, you should be able to do this with time to spare but it is best for you to evaluate your own speed in winter under different pack loads and conditions so you are not asking for an answer that may not be relevant. Have a great time on the trail!

I’m sure it’s possible. My question is, why would you given there are far easier ways to get to Imp Shelter. I will assume you are packing in all the supplies for an enjoyable New Year’s Eve party, e.g. food, adult beverages, etc. Why not get there early, change into something dry and warm and enjoy everyone’s company?

A few of us are heading up that way to bag the carters tomorrow, up 19mb/carter dome and heading down the imp trail. Should ease the burden of trailbreaking a little

Nineteen Mile Brook is broken out, and I heard word there were tracks up the Carter Dome Trail, but I haven't seen any evidence that anything is broken out above Zeta Pass, and that's a lot of work for two people with heavy backpacks.
Check here to see if it's broken :)
http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=09OhSRx9sE332EN0M40EcljV58Uxgafax

But I agree with those who say it's more relaxing to go the short way, I might even try to find the abandoned connecting trail from Stony Brook

Thank you all for the comments. The tracking device is pretty darn impressive!

I had corresponded with someone the day before who had said the snow drifts on the ridge made travel quite challenging. Gorgeous weather this weekend!

Happy trails,

Brian

toughest part might be going up carter dome trail as it is only roughly broken as of this afternoon. may have been travelled since. trails on the ridge have seen decent traffic and you should find it broken to the imp spur unless others plans changed.

bryan

This is excellent news! Our friends who were supposed to come up from Moriah got spooked by the forecast, but assuming conditions allow for it, we're going to make a push for Imp Shelter for New Year's Eve.

It may just be the two of us!

All the best, and Happy New Year,

Brian

I descended North Carter to the Stony Brook junction last night. So, not only is it possible, but it's also nicely broken out now as well.

As a bit of a side trip I also broke out most of the spur trail to the shelter.

Fyi...went up Imp Trail, southern one, to North Carter Trail today and on up to North Carter. At the jct the trail was not broken toward the Imp from there. Also met two guys headed over North Carter that planned to camp at Moriah tonight.

Thank you for all the beta! We had a great trip, rang in the New Year (okay, we were asleep by 7:30pm, but whatever) at Imp Shelter, and did the whole ridge line.

Trip report at:
http://www.vftt.org/forums/showthread.php?t=38891&referrerid=2786

Once again, all the beta was really appreciated! After all the snowfall, and the early lack of trip reports, I have to confess that I was very worried there would be so much unbroken powder that, with our heavy backpacks, it would be so slow going that it would have taken us forever to get to Imp. It was very reassuring to read all the comments and know the trails were broken out before we left.

Happy New Year!

Brian

Coincidence???

Hi Brian,

After reading your trip report I realized that my reply to you was made while you were already on the trail. In my reply I mentioned "Also met two guys headed over North Carter that planned to camp at Moriah tonight." and realized it was probably you!

Likewise in your trip report you mentioned "Met one gent who was coming down from North Carter who looked like he had just gotten out of a shower, he was so soaked," which was probably me! I had never been so wet on a hike!

Glad you had a successful hike!

Fred