Isolation Bid #5

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Saturday, Dec 27th will be a glorious day to meet the beast! This will be bid number 5 on this finicky peak. I am seeking some more folks to celebrate my W48th.

So far Bob and Gerri, Andy F, Darl58, MadRiver, DaveBear, Larry D, and LizR are interested in joining the endeavor.
If you are of strong will, mind :D and body , please respond to this or PM. I'm looking for a 7AM parking lot gathering and quick departure to be able to offer as much chance as possible.

This one has defeated some strong groups who accompanied me prior, I'm looking to get it this time around, and yes, I know the mountain will still be there, safety is number one, but within reason I wish to make a good push for it with many feet breaking trail.

Thanks,
Steph

I surmise the plan is an out and back by Rocky Branch northern trailhead. Is that correct? 7 AM is mighty early for me, but if I start adjusting my sleep pattern now I might be able to make it.

I'd love to join you and meet other VFTT members- I should be free unless we have unexpected company or we have an irresistible powder dump which must be skied. I’ll let you know for sure by Friday the 26th-

Marty

Looking forward to hiking again with you guys...it's been a while!!

This is the time Steph!!! we're going to make it...without those spruce traps burying me over my head & you curled in those I've fallen and can't get up positions....hehehe :eek:

It's going to make it that much sweeter!! :D

Hoping for nice conditions!!

I'm looking forward to this one! Let's hope the weather agrees with us for the start at least :eek:

Yup, I expect the first BW, we'll see what the conditions present at #2.
I am very much looking forward to many feet treading the trail. Biggest group going in were 4 and that was the last push, you can read how well that one went :rolleyes:, note to selves, always check the heading, don't rely on the group in front, no matter how much you like the trampled trail.

Looking forward to Saturday!

If weather looks like an issue, I will post by Friday latest.

Yeah, Isolation! I am very excited to meet all of you. It's going to be a great hike. :)

If the weather's good and this beat up, old body is feeling okay, I may be interested in joining y'all.

Of course we have to get a huge snow dump to make you really earn this summit....I'll be glad when you bag it!!!

We'll have the crew this time!!

Think positive!;)

With the recent snow, both bushwhacks are highly recomended as Davis Path tends to fill up with far more snow than common sense would explain.

A highly recomended waypoint on the second bushwhack is located at 44 12' 51.02" 071 17' 41.39". If you look carefully on the USGS provisional map, it is a small white area surrounded by green (its real easy to miss and could be confused with an abrasion on the map). nevertheless its a small open ledgy spot with great sun exposure and is just about the right elevation to start the slab of the valley (highly recomended for lunch!). From there take a compass shot off the map so that you just skim the edge of the brook draining the col. This route goes through fairly mature trees, if you go much higher up the side of the valley, it gets real sprucy with a lot of steep sidehill and if you go much lower its tends to have a lot more brush.

I have a bitmap of this route but cant upload it due to file size but if you want it PM me.

No matter what, once you hit the brook and the headwall of the valley, there is a rough 15 or 20 minutes of pushing through dense spruce before you pop out on Davis Path, but compared to coming down Davis path from the north its a good trade off.

Good luck on finally getting your peak- now can I recommend to all others giving it a shot in the 28th? ;)

Little update, a group was supposed to be breaking in Tuesday but changed plans, carter dome instead :eek: Looks like some snow consolidation happening all day tomorrow with rain/freezing rain. Saturday is looking like mixed bag depending on temps.

The weather forecast has convinced me to do something a bit more tame, so I'm going to bail on Isolation. Best of luck on getting your 48th!

Route to Mt. Isolation summit

Can anyone comment on a route that follows the RB and Isolation trails and begins a bushwhack .2 miles north of RB shelter #2 heading on a 315 degree bearing off the Isolation trail arriving at the Davis Path near the saddle between Mt. Davis and Mt. Isolation. A group of 3 did this last Feb. then headed north on the Davis Path to the Isolation summit. Other routes seem to involved multiple bushwhacks and/or following the unblazed Isolation trail which can be difficult with its numerous stream crossings and occasional blowdowns.

Planning to do this as a overnight starting next Sunday or Monday depending on weather staying at RB shelter. Gives us two cracks at it.

Description of bushwack routes: http://hikenh.netfirms.com/PDIsolat.htm You appear to be asking about route F.

I followed a somewhat different route:
* Take Rocky Branch Tr to just beyound the height of land.
* Bushwack along the 3120 ft contour until you cross Isolation Tr. Heading ~325 deg True.
* Cross the stream (I think I crossed at ~3200ft.)
* Vector toward just N of the stream (coming off the col just N of Isolation) at an altitude of ~3600 ft. Stay south of PT 3750. (Heading depends upon where you cross the stream-- ~280 deg True for a crossing at 3200 ft.)
* Stay just N of stream gully (stay out of the gully) and follow to Ridge and Davis Path.
* Turn S on Davis and follow to Isolation.

The navigation is pretty easy with basic compass skills. The route shows very well on the 1:25K topo.

There is a bunch of threads and trip reports on Isolation bushwacks by several routes in Mar 2005.

Doug

poor weather

Hi folks. Hope you are all having a great Holiday!
Saturday weather is declining rapidly. I do not wish to begin Isolation as a rain event.

Next weekend is looking better. Long range forcast calls Friday pretty nice with Sat some snow showers, Sun?

Hate to be a woos but wet/cold don't sound like a safe plan for success on Isolation. I am bailing as of now.

consensus about Isolation for Saturday

I’m glad there is a consensus about Isolation for Saturday. I had begun to hedge on my decision, thinking if the weather report is accurate (which is an ongoing crap shoot since you never really know in the mountains what the weather will be and where it will be) the trip had the potential to be a very wet, cold, not fun adventure that over time gets more and more embellished and becomes epic!.

Still looking forward to meeting people and getting to Isolation-perhaps next weekend

Probably heading for either Eisenhower or Madison today since the weather looks to be reasonable