katahdin this winter march maybe??

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giggy

Reaction score
Hi all - trying to get a winter climb of katahdin in this year if possible - it is well overdue.

This is the begining stages - so don't kill me if I have some info off here.

I am considering going with acadia mountain guides for a couple of reasons - 1) it is a pain to get permits 2) I don't want to set out with folks and then have last minute cancelations messing up the whole trip 3) by going with them - allows for a bit more technical option than I might be not be comfortable with on my own.

Not sure if it will happen - but if there was interest I would give them a shout and see if this is something doable and what the cost would be. Would be looking for 4 or 5 people to have a "customized trip" with them.

Ideally, I would like to climb it via a route with some grade 2 or maybe 3 ice - but would only do this probably with a guide leading as I have never been here in the winter and not sure exactly what to expect.

I could settle for the normal ascent - but would be really hesitant to hire a guide for this and I know it is tough to get a private trip going up there.

If paying - want to do something a bit more ya know.

any interest?

Hi Giggy,

I know Jon T. a bit. I co-guided an Abol Slide trip for him a couple of years ago. He runs a great outfit. He does a bunch of Abol Slide trips, in part probably b/c they are quick and lots of fun.

guides are certainly not needed, but if you want to meet some good folks and get a bit more experience (e.g. on an Abol trip they will likely take you through avalanche beacon use) they can be good. Jon is the best to use for this sort of trip...

spencer

they seem very reasonable, from the info on their site.

2 DAY KATAHDIN WINTER ASCENT * Six or more people - $140.00 each
* Includes all instruction, climbing equipment, climbing shoes, harness and helmet for each participant.

I am "expressing interest" and would be flexible (at this point) re. schedule.
Let me know what you need. If you get the group you need without me, it's not a problem as I've been looking into trips like this on my own, also.

Somewhat interested if the timing is right. Driving will always be an issue for us downstaters, would certainly have to be on a 3 day weekend for me....

Jay

chip - pretty sure that price is up the non-technical route (name escapes me right now) - which if I am getting a guide, I am not interested in doing. I would be interested in doing that with an unguided party if thats possible. I just don't feel the need for a guide for that route.

the price would probably be a bit more. Grade 2 ice is actually pretty easy (60 degree angle or so with rest spots) and and with a guide - could be learned in a day - at least good enough to get you up a route led by a guide. At least in my opinion.

lets see how it all pans out. I am going to call for prices, etc..

I was just looking at their prices vs EMS for similar stuff, these guys are definately more reasonable.
I don't think there are any long weekends in March, that would've made it easier, but let us know what you find out.

Giggy: Approach to some real steep stuff on a short trip (2-3 day) might be an issue (Spencer can likely address that). I've only done Abol in late Juine, but it should offer you a good climb (though not technical)

BSP in winter is something to be savored, not rushed, IMHO. Take the extra day(s) and cherish them. The 12 days I spent there (2 trips) last winter were some of my most memorable. The mountain chablis wasn't bad either ;)

I am hoping to get a winter trip this year to climb The Brothers (and maybe Fort and Coe)

I'd be interested in this trip as long as its not too technical. I'm not an ice climber. I've heard wonderful things about BSP in the winter from several members fo VFTT. Vacation in March is not a hard time at my job. I may need to use the "Giggy Taxi Service" though. I'd probably fly into an airport versus driving that far. Unless Jay wants to carpool...

Giggy: a snow climb up the Chimney will take you 2 days to get in there (if you mean the one at Chimney Pond), and 2 days to get out. You are looking at a 6 day trip.

Abol Slide route is doable in 2-3 days, 3 days being preferable. Spencer/GO/Frodo or some of the other BSP veterans leading, even more preferable :)

To clarify what I meant about 3-day weekend, the only chance I'd get is to do this on one of the weekends I get friday off (I get alternating fridays off (like today!)).

Then I might be able to fanangle a no-pay day or something like that if I'm not busy.

Carole, we can carpool if it comes to that...

I don't mind doing easy ice climbs but again, I don't have the ice climbing axes and a good climbing crampon but that didn't stop me from going to Rainier.... ;)

Jay

its gonna be at 4 day trip - 5 if we want a weather window. I have spoken with a guide service and have all the details and ballpark prices for a techinical climb up to baxter peak. PM me for details. Those I know already who posted - I will email.
thanks for the interest.

Jay - this would be technically harder than rainier - but from what I have seen of you - you learn real quick and with a guide leading - you would zero problems on this grade of ice/snow. In fact - you would probably still use your one axe for what I am thinking of doing - The biggest issue is the time and dough for a trip like this- but being so remote is what makes it - so......in reality - I know jack sqaut about baxter in the winter - hence why I am not going up there clueless.

Last edited:
Giggy,

Sounds like a plan to me. Let me know the detals as you get them. There is a slight chance I may be doing a Denali trip, so my days off might be highly rationed.

Will Jay be carrying our stuff? :)

I'll send a hotmail letter to you.

Stay well,
ClimbHi

Giggy,

I'd be interested in doing a techical ice climb at Katahdin this winter. I've been leading WI3+ ice for the past couple of years and I just did Rainier this past June (with RMI). I"ve never climbed or hiked Katahdin, but its been on my "to do" list for a while. My schedule can be pretty flexible with some advance planning.