Keens are keen on Mt. Ellen!

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpinista

Reaction score
Well, I finally scored a bit of time off from work and decided some peakbagging was in order. With just four of the NE67 left, I decided to notch off the one peak that isn't in Baxter State Park: Mt. Ellen in VT.

It was a beautiful day and I decided to be leisurely about it, leaving my pad in Salem, Mass., at 8 a.m. to make the trek to VT. I had settled on doing the ski trails. Not only would it be far shorter but the real plus would be actual views from the ski area rather than the canopy of trees from the western approach.

I made decent time getting to Sugarbush, and that nagging feeling I had as I left home that I'd forgotten something proved true once I parked my car and had a look around: NO boots! I scouted around my Bug _ which does not really have very many knooks or crannies _ and saw two options for footwear: my golf shoes or a beautiful, classic pair of brown pumps with 3-inch heels. Yikes! :eek: OK, I love my golf shoes but there's no way I was going to ruin those spikes! And Lord knows I have a tough enough time maneuvering around Boston's city streets in high heels let alone a hike.
(Besides, they were definitely the wrong shade of brown for my outfit on this day) ;)

So, I opted to stay in my Keen sandles for the slog up. Thankfully, they proved more than up to the task since they have Vibram soles. Yeah, from time to time, dust and pebbles would lodge themselves underneath my feet, finding their way in through the several side openings. But they were easily shaken loose and dislodged along the way.

It was a picture perfect day in the high 60s/low-70s, and I had the ski trails virtually to my lonesome. I briefly saw a guy and his beautiful chocolate lab. I occasionally heard the ski trail crews working on the ski lifts and blaring their music. And I fleetingly saw a group of four hikers, including a Long Trail ranger, make their way down the ski trails. (BTW, the ranger did give my footwear a bit of a look but thankfully didn't say anything; I'm guessing he checked out the rest of my gear and figured I knew at least enough to stay out of trouble!)

It was a nice treat to be hiking solo, to have the time and solitude to stop, look and listen to all that was around me: the way clouds drifting by send shadows over the trails of green grass and dandelions; the sound of crickets off in the woods; the subtle sound of rippling water; and the occasional sounds of life in the valley: a motorcycle, a lawnmower.

The trail up is steep but easy _ basically a tote road that heads straight to the ridge and nearly to the summit of Mt. Ellen. It leads you right to a cluster of trees with a small arrow that points to the viewless summit about 30 feet in from one of the ski lifts. I got there in about two hours, had the summit to myself and lingered for only a few minutes before I decided to head down.

I made sure to not power down too fast _ lest I accidentally twist my ankle in the Keens. They'd done me well, but I didn't want to get overconfident!

For your viewing pleasure, here are some pix

In total, it took about two hours to reach the summit, and about 75 minutes to get back down.

This was #64 on the NE67 -- now just Baxter State Park left! Let's hope the weather cooperates next month when I hope to get up there...

Last edited:
Congratulations on nearing the 67 finish line and having a fun hike, not necessarily in that order of importance. Your pix brought back memories of my own treks up and down the Ellen (and Sugarbush/Lincoln Peak) trails, with their views and flowers. I can also relate to your "choice" of footwear, as my Tevas have done the job for me in similar circumstances. :eek: :eek:

What no picture of the Keens? Oh well nice tr. As a 111R I can assure you we have all done stuff like that. Next time put the pumps in your pack and wear them on the summit. It will be sure to get some questioning glances and perhaps leave some unasked questions.

Congrats on the 67

Are you going for the 111?

AntlerPeak said:
What no picture of the Keens? Oh well nice tr. As a 111R I can assure you we have all done stuff like that. Next time put the pumps in your pack and wear them on the summit. It will be sure to get some questioning glances and perhaps leave some unasked questions.

Ahh, ye of little doubt: Of course I have pix of my Keens: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/553644981/2487108590058974946cenfUa

But you are right: I missed a great opportunity to start the first Talbots collection of hiking gear by packing, then wearing, my classic pumps at the summit. Sigh ...

That picture really helps. Those things look a lot more substantial than what the mind's eye conjures up when thinking sandals.

AntlerPeak said:
That picture really helps. Those things look a lot more substantial than what the mind's eye conjures up when thinking sandals.

Most definitely. Much more sturdy than, say, Tevas _ particularly with the enclosed toe.

alpinista said:
Ahh, ye of little doubt: Of course I have pix of my Keens: http://outdoors.webshots.com/photo/553644981/2487108590058974946cenfUa

But you are right: I missed a great opportunity to start the first Talbots collection of hiking gear by packing, then wearing, my classic pumps at the summit. Sigh ...
Heck, there are at least 3 4Ks where women wear pumps at the summit: Cannon, Washington, and Whiteface! :D Now, beyond that, you're talking! :D

Love my Keens. I have two pairs. I hiked in them to Thoreau Falls in July, and then just left them on while exploring the swimming holes.

Nice pictures.

Lisa sounds like a fun hike even without the boots.
Gotta get me some of those Keens!!!

the brown pumps would have gone better with the chocolate lab. :p

But bakc to the Keens. Those are exactly the ones I've been considering. A couple of questions: How does the sizing run? Does the webbing rub on your skin?

Boreal: Sizing seems to be pretty standard, at least for me. They're very comfortable. I don't feel that the heel strap or any of the side webbing bothers my feet, and mine tend to be fairly tender and "particular."

If you get a pair, I recommend getting the ones with cloth straps versus the leather. The cloth ones are great for wicking away any moisture and drying quickly, whereas the leather ones I hear tend to crack under that wear and tear.

Heehee! Enjoyed your story and glad you decided to hike in the Keens.

A friend of mine who shall remain nameless but who posts to this board (maybe he'll pipe in here) :D recently climbed Katahdin (Hunt Trail I believe) with a pair of Nike Aqua Socks after forgetting his trail shoes, and they worked out fine.

I did a little bit of hiking in my Crocs while in Colorado, but that particular trail was nice and smooth.

Then there are those barefoot AT hiking sisters... :eek:

Keens are everywhere and on sale too

Enjoyed your trip report! Way to make the best of it! Having worn both tevas and more recently Keens, I much prefer the support of the Keens with their closed toes and vibram soles. I have not had any blisters/rubbing which was an issue with the tevas. Met a thru hiker wearing Keens on the AT coming down off the Spaulding/Sugarloaf ridge last week. Even with his heavy pack he was flying. Met another backpacker in Keens on Old Speck in May and he had come through the snow wearing them! :eek:

BTW Keens Newport H2O are on sale at REI this weekend. :)

Lisa,
Whatever happened to the meek little lass I hiked with on Whiteface (NH) just a few years ago? No way she would have even considered heading up in Keen's, nevermind solo! Sounds to me like you've learned a ton about your abilities while on that little 64 peak jaunt. You rock, baby!

Good luck in BSP. I KNOW the weather will bless you!
(3 peaks left. Doesn't that sound amazing?)

Yeah Lisa- #64!!!!!!!

Lisa, great TR.:) Congratulations on making it to #64. Knew you'd get up there this week.

Those Keens worked great for paddling too..........!

One recommendation.....make sure you have the boots when we go to BSP! :) :D :p

Tony

cantdog said:
AMSTony/Lisa,
WHEN is the big Baxter trip? This is cause for a big celebration.

We're hoping the weather cooperates because both of our schedules this summer have been ridiculous!

But basically the one window of opportunity that both of us has is late September. We have just four days when we can both get up there to hit those peaks, and if the weather is intolerable _ well, we'll have to wait another friggin' year!

leave no bootprints

I don't know if this thread is about mountains or footwear, but if it's about the latter, no doubt many have improvised after getting to a trailhead without their boots. Once after leaving Limmers to be resoled (forgetting that meant i had no boots for hiking) I ended up doing Washington in the rain in pennyloafers (yep, that dates me). Other hikes reluctantly in tevas, jungle mocs, and slippery moccasins. So far, too tender for barefoot, too unstylish for wing-tips.
Any others with make-do footwear hikes up 4K peaks?

avk4316 said:
I ended up doing Washington in the rain in pennyloafers (yep, that dates me). Other hikes reluctantly in tevas...
Practically my first White Mountain hike, as a dumb teen decades ago, was up Chocorua from the Kanc by Champney Falls, down the other side by the Bee Line, back up the Bee Line when we couldn't find the next trail, then back down Champney, all in pennyloafers because I knew no better. I had a blister the size of an IHOP silver-dollar pancake.

I've used tevas far more recently, up the Baldpates and Table Rock. Not bad, actually.

SherpaKroto said:
Lisa,
Whatever happened to the meek little lass I hiked with on Whiteface (NH) just a few years ago? No way she would have even considered heading up in Keen's, nevermind solo! Sounds to me like you've learned a ton about your abilities while on that little 64 peak jaunt. You rock, baby!

Good luck in BSP. I KNOW the weather will bless you!
(3 peaks left. Doesn't that sound amazing?)

No worries, Sherp. I'm still the same fraidicat that I was then _ I just take chances while I quake away! :D ;)