Large winter storm coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My power's been out since 9:30 Thursday night. The cats got safely boarded at the vet today when the temperature in the house was 48 degrees this morning and 45 by this afternoon. PSNH has no idea when it's coming back. Every estimate I hear keeps getting longer (from a couple of days to a week to now a week and a half for the most remote areas). Who knows.

I think the catskills got spared real significant damage, at least compared to the last major ice storm. Roads seemed OK though there is a lot of folks w/o power though.. It seems New England got hit with most of the force..

We got all rain down here in NJ..

Jay

Just got of the phone, well their cell, with friends from Rindge, NH PSNH informed them they might get power by Christmas if they are lucky. Still have not heard from others in Fitzwilliam.

My parents, Winchendon MA, had to move in with one of my sisters (lucky her?) while my other sister has no power w/ 2 ft of water in her basement. No power means no sump pump.

I have heard though, from mom and friends, if you just look past the destruction it is absoultly beautiful. My thoughts are with you up there and God bless.

Is anyone near/in the Southern Whites without power? We have a small house/cabin, we are there each week for 3ish days. The other days you'd have it to yourself. We are happy to share with a family who needs a warm place to stay until the power comes back on. I THINK our place has power, we haven't been there since the storm, but our neighbors have power and I hear the roads are fine.

We are in Campton, pm me if interested.

Can't accomodate dogs, unfortunately, but cats are okay.

Is anyone near/in the Southern Whites without power? We have a small house/cabin, we are there each week for 3ish days. The other days you'd have it to yourself. We are happy to share with a family who needs a warm place to stay until the power comes back on. I THINK our place has power, we haven't been there since the storm, but our neighbors have power and I hear the roads are fine.

We are in Campton, pm me if interested.

Can't accomodate dogs, unfortunately, but cats are okay.

Now this is a post that gives you faith in Mankind! We have been very lucky here in the MWV but to see someone extend great kindness elsewhere is just a good thing.:)Way to go Trish!:cool:

No power outages in the Campton/Thornton area, see the New Hampshire Electric Co-op Outage Map. Roads are also totally fine.

Thanks -- good to know.

If it makes sense for someone to drive out to Campton for warmth purposes, please pm me. You'll have to deal with living with us for a few days when we arrive, but we're usually okay to hang out with. If we're not, just drink the beer that's in the fridge and that will make us seem more tolerable. :p

Just wishing all you New Englanders to keep warm and stay safe up there! We've been through ice storms by me and the Catskills got hit with a really bad one not too long ago...

Jay

Now this is a post that gives you faith in Mankind! We have been very lucky here in the MWV but to see someone extend great kindness elsewhere is just a good thing.:)Way to go Trish!:cool:

I was thinking the same thing...very nice offer Trish

Thanks Trish and Mohammed on the status of electrical power in Campton/Thornton. I am in San Francisco for the week and have not been able to reach a friend who is supposedly staying at my place in Thornton this weekend. Broken pipes and flood damage are what keep my Glen Cliff Trail co-adopter gainfully employed during the winter months, but I just as soon not give him any of my business if I can help it! Best wishes to all in southern New Hampshire, which is making the national news even out here on the left coast.

We've been without power since Friday at @ 1 AM, but have a generator to run most of the house and our neighbors furnance (who are in Florida for the Winter) to keep their pipes from freezing, but just starting to find Wifi hotspots that have service. Merrimack is just starting to see the tree companies and PSNH arrive as of last this afternoon. Still many roads blocked by trees across lines and roads. With 90% of the town without power we are lucky to be fairly comfortable. Power may not be back for a week or longer - Cable modems and phones even longer :<

If there is anybody out there who is in dire straits or has friends/realtives that are, we have a spare bedroom and could put a half dozen more in the playroom in the basement. No phone at home but can get email on our blackberry so try contacting us on that with a number - up to 10 tonight, then at work tomorrow with acess. Be glad to help out folks who have no heat or place to go.

A winter hiker's view of a cold house.... just a big 4-walled shelter with furnishings and food!

Got power back last night-yeah! Hope all are OK who still don't have it- it really is kind of depressing after the first 24 hrs. "Camping mode" works well for some but not for others. What's funny is when we got up yesterday morning, it was 48 in our bedroom. I said, "Great! It's still 48". Everyone else including my inlaws (visiting from FLA!) thought I was nuts for thinking that wearing a hat and two fleeces and two pairs of socks to bed was no big deal. I was able to teach the kids something about camping in the cold though, and they got better at managing a fire. Pocket Rocket to cook breakfast? No problem.

Bit more ice coming this week, but so far it looks small and pretty benign. Where's the SNOW????
:mad:

Weatherman

Last edited:
South Pack Ice Storm Pictures

Here are a few pictures of our walk today up the auto road on S. Pack Monadnock. The road had been partially cleared for a small tracked vehicle to get to the towers on the top. The pictures don't even begin to show the massive number of trees down and damaged.

South Pack Monadnock Ice Storm

Our house in Peterborough is still dark and 37 degrees. Luckily my parents in Hancock have a large house with a generator! I now need to go back and leave my water dripping so my pipes don't freeze.

I guess I was lucky to only be without power from Friday morning until Sunday afternoon around 4:15. Just wish I hadn't drained the water out of my heating system at 3:00 on Sunday... :rolleyes:

If there is anybody out there who is in dire straits or has friends/realtives that are, we have a spare bedroom and could put a half dozen more in the playroom in the basement. No phone at home but can get email on our blackberry so try contacting us on that with a number - up to 10 tonight, then at work tomorrow with acess. Be glad to help out folks who have no heat or place to go.

Ditto here, I have room at my house in Central Mass. Also have a truck and chainsaw to help folks clean up the mess, make yard/driveway passable, etc

In Rochester, NH, we lost all power at 11 pm Thursday night and got it back last night (Sunday) at midnight. Some neighbors still have no power. We heated with the woodstove, cooked on the Coleman, grilled on the Webber, and showered at Planet Fitness. Unfortunately, my kid went nuts with no TV, so we went to my sister's house yesterday for the Pats game.

Ironically, we only got rain with the storm, but I'm just seeing the news now for the first time in days and it's hard to grasp how much damage was done in other parts of the state. It was very frustrating to have no snow or ice visible in our area, but to be without electricity for 3 days. If there were three feet of snow on the ground, we could better rationalize the lack of electricity!

Wishing a speedy recovery to those affected worse than us.

I guess I was lucky to only be without power from Friday morning until Sunday afternoon around 4:15. Just wish I hadn't drained the water out of my heating system at 3:00 on Sunday... :rolleyes:

Bob-, I was wondering about you since we drove through Plaistow and saw signs of light (life). Good to hear. Unfortunately, still in the dark at my home :(

Bob-, I was wondering about you since we drove through Plaistow and saw signs of light (life). Good to hear. Unfortunately, still in the dark at my home :(

Eric - I'm not sure of this but I might have had power restored earlier in my area because I live 1/2 mile from Timberlane High School/Middle School. Many parts of Plaistow still have no power. Sorry to hear that you're still without!