Large winter storm coming

vftt.org

Help Support vftt.org:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have no heat/power/water(only what's left in the well tank) in Bedford. Went out at 9pm last night. There is a wire across one end of my street, and there are 2-3 dozen trees hanging over and touching the road in the other direction. I was able to snake through them on my way to the office, which has heat and power. I heard on WZID that it may be 2-3 days before most have power back. Might have to leave the house for a family member with heat's house.

Everything, except the roads, has a 1/2" coating of ice on it. There will be plenty of small firewood piles around shortly.

Tim

That's probably what I'll be doing too...may be staying with my parents down in Tewksbury tonight...yikes.

Sorry to hear of the ice / power issues many of you are having...good luck.

At least with this crew you likely have stoves, sleeping bags, etc...probably better prepared than most folks.

Here in Rochester (NY, not NH) we got - nuthin'! I was hoping to get the x-c skis out, but not even enough for that.

Sorry guys ...here in syracuse we got a few inches and it blew thru this morning around 7-9am... , no ice though..at least you dont have to work!!:D If you can drive here, my place is your place..

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear of the power outages some folks are having! I hope it is all resolved sooner rather than later.

Just cold, wet, steady, heavy rain near Boston. That finally ended about an hour ago.

We're all gonna die!

Yes, I do believe that's inevitable, lol..... realizing that one is mortal is a major step towards maturity. :D :rolleyes: :p

My offer for help with shoveling snow is still open.... great exercise, please pm me if interested!

Last edited:
No power in the whole area! Strafford,Northwood,Lee,Epping lights out, may be awhile.Madriver said it best, time for a trip to the liqour store.

Franconia area has had four power outages in the last two weeks, most recently on Tuesday, but none here yet today. Everyone is expecting it, however. Trees are iced over, snow continues, and when it all freezes solid tonight, there will be heavy loads on branches, power lines, etc. Hard to measure current accumulation, not all that much actually, 2-4", but tricky conditions nevertheless. And more snow coming.

I made tea this morning using my Pepsi can alcohol stove. My wife was very happy to have her tea.

Tim

Now if only we could find ways to use our bikes, ice axes, canoes, skis, boots, etc. for utilitarian purposes our wives might accept our next gear justification better....

If there's a flood, I'm going to paddle my dear down the Penobscot (in our OT Penobscot) to safety. That will teach her that gear is good!

Spencer

For what it's worth, if you are thinking of heading north -- it's turned into a beautiful day up here... High, puffy, fast-moving clouds and bright blue sky. For what ever reason, the major icing missed us in the southern Whites, so we have electricity and all the modern conveniences.

Just be careful traveling through the central part of NH if you are headed north.

Best of luck getting your power back on Tim, Bob, and others...

Best wishes to the suffering. It sucks to go through all that and heartbreaking to see the trees so trashed.

And yes, it looks like it'll be very nice weather this weekend. Gonna make lemonade.

Two observations from driving around the perimeter of the Ossipees this afternoon:

a) The brooks and rivers are VERY high - higher than this spring.

b) Beware of black ice - the main roads needed another hour or two of sunlight to dry out this afternoon but didn't get it.

BC skied in the SW Adks today, all snow no crust, about 8" heavier underneath with a little powder on top. Skied well. Woods have a pretty locked up coverage except for the little streambeds that blew out in the rain at the beginning of the week. Lake effect coming down late this afternoon.

My power went off Friday at 5:50am, and we are not expected to get power back until Monday.:(
On the up side, we can keep our stuff outside to keep it from spoiling, and we use wood for heat.

Good luck to everyone else out there with no power!

Without power since Thursday night at around 11:00pm. Finally bailed when we woke up today and the house thermostat was at 46 degrees. I can handle it, but not the wife and son. Plus will be colder tonight. Cooked on camping and backpacking equipment, so at least eating wasn't an issue:p

Agree with some of the previous, all night and day huge branches crashing all over, streets full of ice, branches and power lines. Cleaner today but shocking to see. Saw some homes with full trees crashed into them.

Hiding in a hotel until tomorrow, then we'll see how it goes.

Hope all are well.

Last edited:
On the ledges of Kearsarge North today, the views were quite stunning - the MWV was mostly ice free, yet pretty much everywhere south and southeast looked like it was draped in tinsel.

Amazing sites just driving up I-93. In many spots the trees were glazed with ice, snapped in two, some even completely uprooted by the combination of ice weight and rain-saturated soil.

What was really interesting is just how one-sided the storm was: many sections in southern NH only had trees on the west side of the highway with ice on them.

The approach from Lincoln to Franconia Notch had glazed trees all around.